What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jimmy Smith testing NFL draft waters

Also, the average length of an NFL career is 3 1/2 years.

So the thing is, even if a guy sticks with a team, on average he's not even going to see a second contract. Guaranteed money out of that rookie contract has got to set you up.

And regardless, you've got to go into it with thoughts of what you're going to do with the last 40 years of your professional life.

I think Jimmy stands quite a bit to gain by staying. I don't think he'll grade out anywhere higher than 4th round this year, which isn't overly great. If he stays and has a good, not even great, senior year; with his size and assuming he runs in the 4.4/4.5 range, he could easily go in the 2nd round.

Size, speed, and athletic ability isnt what JSmit needs to work on. He needs to watch a Charles Woodson tape and get pyshical. Bump and run, stay in their hip pocket, that would help him a ton. Learn to hold the piss outta them, just subtle, lol.

other side is hypolite was also graded as a 2nd rounder but he decided to stay his sr year. didn't work out as well for him..

The NFL also has a pension. It doesnt take a whole lot of years to get it.
Good point, but I doubt that a pension is on his radar screen....hell, I am in my forties and still think I am 21.....a pension? I will never need a pension!

Good point, but I doubt that a pension is on his radar screen....hell, I am in my forties and still think I am 21.....a pension? I will never need a pension!
True but I know someone that receives this pension and its more than most hard working middle class folks make in a year.

I'm pretty positive he's gone guys, sorry.

This plus what I heard is why I think hes gone. If he gets a pre-combine selection of 4th round or so, its not that bad a gamble. Money now> maybe money later + more losing.

You never know how the draft will shake out...was anyone else shocked when Dizon went in the 2nd round?

Jimmy has the \"measurables\" that scouts seem to cream their shorts over. He's 6'2\", is great in coverage, and will probably run a sub 4.5 at the combine. Oh and he's being coached by a former NFL coach.

Would not be shocked at all to see him go 2nd round.

Here's what the different rounds mean as far as what a Cornerback contract looks like for rookies (2009 rookie contracts):

1st round (Pick 14, 14th pick of round): CB Malcolm Jenkins (5-years, $19M; $11M guaranteed)
2nd round (Pick 48, 16th pick of round): DB Darcel McBath (4-years, $3.85M; $2.01M guaranteed)
3rd round (Pick 80, 16th pick of round): CB Kevin Barnes (4-years, $2.532M; $782,500 signing bonus)
4th round (Pick 112, 12th pick of round): CB Glover Quinn (4-years, $2.24M; ~$490K signing bonus)
5th round (Pick 148, 12th pick of round): CB Brandon Hughes (4-years, $1.936M: $186,650 signing bonus)
6th round (Pick 183, 10th pick of round): CB Cary Harris (4-years, $1.856M; $108,650 signing bonus)
7th round (Pick 220, 11th pick of round): DB Ellis Lankster (4-years, $1.8M; ~$59K signing bonus)

=========

Basically, 1st 2 rounds and you're getting a boatload of guaranteed money. Third and 4th rounds, you're getting a hefty signing bonus ($400k-$800k). After that, you're looking at $200k or less in signing bonus.

My advice to Jimmy would be:
- 1st or 2nd round grade is a no brainer. Tear it up in the NFL.
- 3rd or 4th round grade is a decision. Good chunk of change, but with all the expenses you'll have (agent, family, friends, taxes, home, etc.) you won't really be rich until your second contract.
- 5th, 6th or 7th is reason to stay at CU. You'll improve your draft status and make yourself a ton of extra money by refining you game under Brown another year.

Really? You think he's in the top 64 (cuz didn't the article say he was looking for 1st or 2nd round prediction)? Not so sure, myself, but with Buffnik's numbers (thanks, I didn't have to go look!), I'd go for later rounds... If you take care of your money, you don't have to get rich from it - can you imagine starting off with a few hundred $K in the bank?

Hey, I qualified for a pension this year, and it feels good. :smile: My company would send me a check, saying "please don't come to work."

True but I know someone that receives this pension and its more than most hard working middle class folks make in a year.

Unfortunately, not that good - it's not enough to live on (maybe meagerly), can't pay out my 401k yet til 59.5, no SSI til >62... :sad2:

Really? You think he's in the top 64 (cuz didn't the article say he was looking for 1st or 2nd round prediction)? Not so sure, myself, but with Buffnik's numbers (thanks, I didn't have to go look!), I'd go for later rounds... If you take care of your money, you don't have to get rich from it - can you imagine starting off with a few hundred $K in the bank?

Hey, I qualified for a pension this year, and it feels good. :smile: My company would send me a check, saying "please don't come to work."

Unfortunately, not that good - it's not enough to live on (maybe meagerly), can't pay out my 401k yet til 59.5, no SSI til >62... :sad2:
its working for him I guess, hes is trying to play in Canada now I hear. He led the SEC in rushing but he is a small back and went to a very bad system,for him anyways, Jauron likes big, pyshical backs. My friend is a bigger speedy, much better instincts tho. CU nation knows him when he dominated us as a true freshman in Lubbock.

Jimmy made his biggest play of '09. This will really help the team come together.

other side is hypolite was also graded as a 2nd rounder but he decided to stay his sr year. didn't work out as well for him..

Who graded him as a 2nd rounder? My understanding is that it wasn't the NFL, it was the self-proclaimed draft gurus like Kiper. And they were dead wrong. Hypolite would have gone undrafted after his junior year, too.

Perhaps. Typically, though, it seems to me that outside of the Oakland Raiders, the media guys tend to have a fairly good idea on who is going where, at least in the first round.

Maybe I am wrong. It is certainly possible. It just seems like the ESPN guys know roughly where a player is going to go.

At one time (long ago), Kiper was a novelty. Now, I'm not so sure. McShay seems to be as good most of the time. And the whole "Mel Kiper's Big Board" thingy at espin - they can keep it. There are numerous draft projections available without all the you-have-to-be-a-member tango that espin sells.

Jimmy Smith will get drafted in the league, and I think staying for 1 more year was a good move on his part. Hone your skills young man -- there's a boatload of money to be made as a 6'2" corner with speed/skills.

After Jake Locker failed to get a 1st round grade from the NFL this year and decided to stay in school... the following got posted on Rivals to explain this in lieu of McShay having Locker as his #1 overall:

Locker didn't get a first-round grade from Advisory Committee

Posted by Mike Florio (editor, ProFootballTalk.com) on December 18, 2009 8:25 PM ET

For those of you who admire the dedication and/or question the sanity of Washington quarterback Jake Locker for deciding not to enter the NFL draft in what could be the last year of the big-money windfalls at the top of the pecking order, the decision to stay in school isn't as honorable and/or stupid as previously believed.

As pointed out in the Associated Press article regarding Locker's decision not to forgo his final season of college eligibility, Locker had submitted his name for consideration to the NFL Collegiate Advisory Committee, which estimates where a player might be drafted.

Despite a proclamation by ESPN's Todd McShay that Locker would/should/could be the first overall pick, a league source tells us that Locker didn't receive a first-round grade from the Advisory Committee.

The source concedes that Locker might have still be drafted in round one given the value of the position, but the source insists that McShay was flat wrong in his assessment of Locker.

"That's the problem," the source opined. "McShay is clueless. Up until three weeks before the 2008 draft, he said that [Kentucky's] Andre Woodson would be a first-round pick. He went in the sixth and is out of the league."

And the source explained that these opinions come not from the same-old rant by NFL scouts that guys like McShay and Mel Kiper have the luxury of popping off with no accountability as long as it all sounds good (the same-old rant has a significant amount of accuracy, by the way), but from concerns that guys like McShay do kids a disservice by pumping up their expectations.

"The problem I have with people like McShay saying stupid things is parents and others who 'advise' these kids think McShay knows what he is talking about," the source said. "And they believe him before they believe the Advisory Committee. Then, when the kids go a lot lower than projected they are pissed and/or depressed. . . . This stuff happens every year and we have to deal with the broken hearts because people who don't know what they are talking about put visions of grandeur into young players' heads."

This item isn't intended to be a shot at McShay. But if the Advisory Committee didn't give a first-round grade to the guy that McShay had at the top of his board, then something is wrong with this picture. And we're inclined to think the defect doesn't come from the Committee made up of folks who scout players for a living -- and whose ongoing careers depend not on their ability to talk smoothly about their views, but on whether enough of the players whom they believe to be good players become good players.

Back