What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Joel Klatt rips Hawk a new one.

That is a good post and I agree with you.

I also agree with BlackNGold. I have the same reservations he has about "really helping these players grow as people."

[I apologize to the AD reader who may think I am being too harsh, but that is the way I honestly see it.]

I sometimes wonder if he is really helping these players grow as people. I don't think he is teaching them to do things right - whatever that means. I believe he is teaching them if you can make excuses you will get by on shabby work. I never hear him say that it is unacceptable to keep jumping offsides or not getting a play in on time or giving up long plays. People made fun of Barnett when he threatened to take the decals off the Helmets because they were not playing like Buffaloes play. The result was the team went on the road to beat a good Texas A&M team. What you may not know behind the scenes - that team only had 8 seniors and had lost several close games to some good teams (USC, UW, ) and had gotten their butts kicked by a good KSU team which Barnett was afraid was going to cause his team to totally collapse without the senior leadership to rally around. He felt he had to get them to claw out a victory...do not doubt that helped the team in the 2001 season. I think that is how you help young people grow show what they are capable of if they really apply themselves. Coach Mac was very similar - incredible passion which he taught to his players.

This. In life, there is winning and there is losing. It isn't fair, but that's just how it is.

The result was the team went on the road to beat a good Texas A&M team. What you may not know behind the scenes - that team only had 8 seniors and had lost several close games to some good teams (USC, UW, ) and had gotten their butts kicked by a good KSU team which Barnett was afraid was going to cause his team to totally collapse without the senior leadership to rally around.

USC and UW were ranked when we lost to them. That KSU team lost twice to eventual NC OU....and absolutely brain-raped Tennessee in the Cotton Bowl. That was one of Snyder's best teams with Jon McGraw, the Hawaiian kid on the DL and I thought Jonathon Beasley was pretty underrated in the proto-Ell Roberson QB zone read. They were monsterous on special teams. i think they returned two punts on us. I was in section 119 for that game....as bad an asskicking i can remember in Folsom. Maybe the Carson Palmer/USC game was as bad. They could have named the score.

edit: i'm pretty sure that KSU game was the debut of Craig Ochs as well.

Anybody else here suspect JK would be a better coach right now than DH?

I'm all for that, too. While I absolutely agree it would be hard to do worse than the current sorry state of affairs, it would be interesting to watch Klatt discover the very real difference between commenting from the sidelines and actually being held accountable. Actually, I bet Klatt already understands that distinction. He's a smart guy.

I'm all for that, too. While I absolutely agree it would be hard to do worse than the current sorry state of affairs, it would be interesting to watch Klatt discover the very real difference between commenting from the sidelines and actually being held accountable. Actually, I bet Klatt already understands that distinction. He's a smart guy.

JK's dad was or is a HS coach, I'm sure he gets it. BTW, was at the state track and field champs this weekend at JeffCo stadium watching my niece compete. JK's dad is on the wall of honor there, whatever they call it. JK could coach IMO. But he's got a pretty good media gig now and I like his commentary.

Back