What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Joel Klatt

As much as I have NO respect for that homunculus dickwad CH, please tell me he didn't really say that. BTW, anyone that wants to dig deep into stats, I'd invite you to visit the CU site and school up on Cody. Shameless entitled dwarf.

This is among the most inaccurate and disgusting comments I have ever read on AllBuffs. Neg rep headed your way.

Cody represented CU very well during his time here and always gave exemplary effort. Cody is a true Buff. His Dad clearly wasn't the best coach, but don't put that on Cody (who also represented the U.S.A. and CU very well in some International competitions).

This is among the most inaccurate and disgusting comments I have ever read on AllBuffs. Neg rep headed your way.

Cody represented CU very well during his time here and always gave exemplary effort. Cody is a true Buff. His Dad clearly wasn't the best coach, but don't put that on Cody (who also represented the U.S.A. and CU very well in some International competitions).

A selfish fraud was perpetrated on this program by those two, and it damaged the college football careers of several QBs that were at least as, or more, talented. Nepotism is ugly at best, harmful at worst. I'll drop the subject. Just couldn't believe he ripped Klatt that way.

I wasn't a Cody fan. I've posted some things that were less than complimentary.

But I wish we could let sleeping dogs lie on that one. I credit him for putting a good public face on things as a teammate and Buff both after his demotion and after his dad was fired. I respect that.

A selfish fraud was perpetrated on this program by those two, and it damaged the college football careers of several QBs that were at least as, or more, talented. Nepotism is ugly at best, harmful at worst. I'll drop the subject. Just couldn't believe he ripped Klatt that way.

I have to apologize.Cody never said that,to my knowledge.That was a jab at Klatt by me.Didn't mean to stir up a **** storm. :sorry:

All I know is that we have sucked since about 2002, IMO. A lot of that has to do with a lack of attention or funding from our administation which is a direct result of their attention being elsewhere. The state-funding crisis combined with the manufactured "scandal" of the late-Barnett era created a climate where decline and decay were inevitable. I think a lot of the liberal arts profs are under the impression that CU must be either a football school OR a great academic school. Unfortunate and untrue. That said, that has always been the case at CU. We have had a perfect storm of failed and/or neglected athletic leadership in the face of external and internal challenges which has trickled down to the head coaches and ultimately to the players on the field. Ultimately, the athletes, students, alumni, faculty and state have not demanded accountability for this failure. We should all take some accountability for the unaddressed failure and continued decline of the football program from 2002 - 2012.

Even so, I believe the problem has finally been identified and that the administration is finally actively managing the issues. MacIntyre is a good coach and George is the right guy as AD. As long as Benson continues to pay attention to this and actively manage and hold people accountable, we will continue to improve.

I never had an issue with Cody Hawkins the person. But the Cody Hawkins situation changed the culture of CU football and we are still trying to change it back. When Dan Hawkins started running off QBs, we gave him the benefit of the doubt but over time it became obvious that Dan Hawkins number one priority was getting Cody numbers and had little to do with CU winning football games. It was a situation that should not have been tolerated. It created a culture of the individual over the team. I know both Embree and MacIntyre have worked to change that and I think this year we saw the most progress on attitude.

There are people I don't care for but Dan Hawkins is one of the few I have zero respect for and had a lot of disgust when I hear his name.

The state-funding crisis combined with the manufactured "scandal" of the late-Barnett era created a climate where decline and decay were inevitable.

Ultimately, the athletes, students, alumni, faculty and state have not demanded accountability for this failure.

I take issue that the decline was inevitable. That is too fatalistic.

So many schools have had real scandals and did not implode the way that CU has. The list is long. Each of these programs were impacted by some form of recruiting scandal or flagrant NCAA violation, but few have plummeted to the depths that CU has:
Florida State - free shoes
Baylor - murder
Ohio State - free tattoos
USC - Reggie Bush's agent
Auburn - Cam Newton's dad's church
Penn State - Sandusky
Oklahoma - Switzer's coke and guns. Stoops and the car dealership
Kentucky - Point shaving
Arkansas - Petrino affair
Louisville - Rick Pitino affair
Texas - Applewhite & Kearney inappropriate relations, Ricky's pot.
Alabama - free text books, coke
Nebraska - girlfriend abuse, guns
A&M - Manziel signs 4000 autographs inappropriately and isn't expelled for fighting.

The list goes on and on. In each case, the football program didn't destruct and hit rock bottom.

I choose to believe, based on observing scandals throughout the country that 9 out of 10 administrations are capable of handling the CU pseudo scandal better than Hoffman, Thorp, Brown, Benson, Bohn and DiStephano.

The decline wasn't inevitable because the neglect and incompetency was a choice.

As to your final point, we agree that accountability between the school and the various stakeholders has been less than ideal.

Last edited by a moderator:
skidmark,

It was inevitable because of the leadership that was in place. The same leadership profile for the university that made early retirement a viable decision for Mac1, made no investment after Dal Ward construction except for the boxes Tharp jammed through without support, focused the CU Foundation completely away from athletics, caused Rick Neuheisel to leave with parting words about CU not being committed, and has never agreed that there would be value in the AD hiring a PR agency.

You throw the scandal into that culture and there was only one possible outcome.

Honestly, if I hadn't seen the recent changes on coaching salaries, fundraising, facilities plans, and a true sports executive as athletic director... I think that CU was going to lose me as anything more than a bandwagon fan who would take in marque games when the Buffs had a good team.

First off, he didn't ever say that. If you had an ounce of wit about you, and it is clear that you don't, you would have realized the op was in jest. Second, Cody busted his ass for this program. Should he have been the starter for four years? No. But that is on his Daddy, not on him.

skidmark,

It was inevitable because of the leadership that was in place. The same leadership profile for the university that made early retirement a viable decision for Mac1, made no investment after Dal Ward construction except for the boxes Tharp jammed through without support, focused the CU Foundation completely away from athletics, caused Rick Neuheisel to leave with parting words about CU not being committed, and has never agreed that there would be value in the AD hiring a PR agency.

You throw the scandal into that culture and there was only one possible outcome.

Honestly, if I hadn't seen the recent changes on coaching salaries, fundraising, facilities plans, and a true sports executive as athletic director... I think that CU was going to lose me as anything more than a bandwagon fan who would take in marque games when the Buffs had a good team.

Decissions have consequences. I agree that the outcome of systematic and sustained failed leadership made the implosion inevitable. It is unacceptable that the various leadership regimes purposefully made or didn't make decissions that led us into the hole in which George/Mac are seeking to escape.

The ferrari didn't get wrapped around the tree because it was inevitable. It was because the driver didn't know how to drive.

It comes back to accountability. With good leadership in place over the past decade, sustained success would have been inevitable.

I recall his stats were pretty dam good when we had the likes of DJ Hackett and Derreck McCoy running routes. I never heard in context what he had to say about Sprague but in my experience in knowing him he was a class player and leader. He is as passionate about CU Football as anyone I know. We all can be dickwads in the heat of the moment.

He also didn't make a bowl game while throwing to them. Went 5-6 that year.

Joel Klatt the CU QB I had a lot of respect for and still do. Nobody should have had to go through what he and the other players did during the non-scandal. I think Klatt does a good job on TV, but I was never a fan of his on the radio, long before Embree was fired. Good for him at Fox, seems like he's doing good.

Jesus. Just looked up the stats. Joel Klatt went 5-7, 7-5 and...7-5. Make sure you check the stats before asking others to.

You know I love you Waldo, but you would have to be able to say the same for Cody's teams, no?

I never suggested Cody wasn't a good college QB, he would have been a great college QB had he played Div II or 1AA. Klatt nor CH would have been given any chance in the NFL in spite of both being football players, they do not possess the prototypical NFL physical attributes, thank you Gil Brandt. Either way a QB needs an oline and a set of receivers to succeed.

Joel attacked CU when his friend was fired. He had a soap box and he used it. Arguably he did this for noble purposes. Mac did the same when he pulled race into the equation. He did it for noble purposes, but it hurt CU. I can't condone either for their actions. It did cause me to loose a little respect for both.

In regard to Mac, I agree racism is real. I did not think Race was a factor in the release of Embree. I wish it had not come up.

In regard to Klatt, he made some good points regarding backing from the administration to the program. I wish those points had been made in a conference room to the key people before they were made to the press. Maybe they were, and this is what it took for Benson to wake up?

Both are loyal Buffs. Both have historic strengths and weaknesses on and off the field. I wish them both well going forward and hope they can wave their CU flags proudly when again given the opportunity.​

I never suggested Cody wasn't a good college QB, he would have been a great college QB had he played Div II or 1AA. Klatt nor CH would have been given any chance in the NFL in spite of both being football players, they do not possess the prototypical NFL physical attributes, thank you Gil Brandt. Either way a QB needs an oline and a set of receivers to succeed.

Klatt was signed as a free agent by the Lions. he retired due to lingering effects from concussions and a bad shoulder, resulting from the games Barnett left him in far too long or pushed him back too quickly, notably the 70-3 UT, B12 Champ debacle. He has the same stature a Drew Breese or Russell Wilson and he HAD a live arm until his shoulder injury. Nonetheless, the Lions took a chance and he played a couple EXH games for them, before retiring on his own, as I recall. Cody's another matter.

Joel and Cody both had unfortunate circumstances forced upon them at CU that they both handled admirably. I distinctly remember Joel being asked to be essentially the face of the Buffs when Barnett was put on leave for the Hnida comments, which was a difficult thing to do. Cody had to swallow his dad's firing at CU and a lot of personal criticism that (as someone said) should be directed more at his dad than him. I respected the way that both represented the Buffs during their time at the University.

However, Joel's been sucked in by the "HOT SPROTS TAEKS!!!1!" media talking-head requirements that have led to him saying things that have tarnished his reputation in my eyes. It's really too bad, because I thought he did a pretty good job of color commentary on the last game that I watched of his.

I'm not sure if Joel and his ego are bigger than the program, or shoulder 2 shoulder with the interests of Buff Nation.

As long as he is not abusing his role in the media to grind an axe about the last or future coaching hires, then he'll be okay. It's when he plays favorites or puts himself or his teammates above the other fans, boosters or current CU leaders that I become critical.

After the Embree dismissal, I'm not really sure if he is on board with George/MacIntyre or still off the ranch. If he has extended an olive branch and gets behind the facilities fundraising, it would go along way towards mending fences.

f13ac171602860e6ca4da76e6c7a797b3f054de5.jpg

Klatt was signed as a free agent by the Lions. he retired due to lingering effects from concussions and a bad shoulder, resulting from the games Barnett left him in far too long or pushed him back too quickly, notably the 70-3 UT, B12 Champ debacle. He has the same stature a Drew Breese or Russell Wilson and he HAD a live arm until his shoulder injury. Nonetheless, the Lions took a chance and he played a couple EXH games for them, before retiring on his own, as I recall. Cody's another matter.

I know, I also know other football players were never given a shot b/c Gil Brandt said their body is not ideal NFL material.

There are and will continue to be exceptions to the rule.

Joel and Cody both had unfortunate circumstances forced upon them at CU that they both handled admirably. I distinctly remember Joel being asked to be essentially the face of the Buffs when Barnett was put on leave for the Hnida comments, which was a difficult thing to do. Cody had to swallow his dad's firing at CU and a lot of personal criticism that (as someone said) should be directed more at his dad than him. I respected the way that both represented the Buffs during their time at the University.

However, Joel's been sucked in by the "HOT SPROTS TAEKS!!!1!" media talking-head requirements that have led to him saying things that have tarnished his reputation in my eyes. It's really too bad, because I thought he did a pretty good job of color commentary on the last game that I watched of his.

I'll echo this sentiment. Cody Hawkins handled himself extremely well considering how awful things became with his dad as head coach. Never complained or whined and always brought a good effort. Those were ugly years, but Cody Hawkins handled it well and he's is ok by me.

That being said, in my opinion, no one was screwed harder under Dan than Tyler Hansen.

Drew Kelson was flagged on that play. That hit was a personal foul even before the helmet-to-helmet rules of today.

UT beat us soundly. But this play was dirty, cheap, and ****ing dangerous. Any satisfaction a longhorn gets from this picture is misguided.

Drew Kelson was flagged on that play. That hit was a personal foul even before the helmet-to-helmet rules of today.

UT beat us soundly. But this play was dirty, cheap, and ****ing dangerous. Any satisfaction a longhorn gets from this picture is misguided.

Dusty Sprague was assigned to block Joel's blind side on that blitz.

I wish I could write with that clarity and succinctness. Thank You and Rep.

Back