What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

John Henderson retiring

U
Serious question on the lack of football coverage since the season ended, DBT: what is there to report on?
I'd do a story on Mac's in state recruiting effort. I'd interview HS coaches and players in state. I'd do a general recruiting story. I'd do a story on the facilities upgrades which were barely covered. I'd do stories on individual players and what they do outside of football. How about a story, for instance, on the Mexican kicker? I'd do something on Rick George's first six months. I'd talk to donors and get the story on that. But it isn't my job to find things to write about and I know its impossible to write something daily. But a couple of things a week shouldn't be out of the question.

And what hat the hell does Dave Plati get paid for. It IS his job to see that CU gets some coverage, isn't it? Does he suggest things to the media?

It's fine that he reported the negatives with CU, but it crosses the line when he starts writing that our DL is literally fat. Not to mention a bunch of other crap. Plus he didn't even attend practice or do any actual reporting. Good riddance. I'm excited to see who replaces him.

Where can we send his retirement gift? It sounds like he's going to miss us.

Hey hendo-perv, if you marry a child bride in Italy, be sure to loop us in via social media.

And there ends the "career" of one of the most biased and uninformed no-talent hacks in the history of colorado football coverage. Perfect.

It's fine that he reported the negatives with CU, but it crosses the line when he starts writing that our DL is literally fat. Not to mention a bunch of other crap. Plus he didn't even attend practice or do any actual reporting. Good riddance. I'm excited to see who replaces him.
I remember one game, maybe Washington, where he wrote more about Washington than he did the Buffs.

If Hendo really wanted to know how to be a good beat reporter, he should look at what Patrick Ridgell did for years at the LTC. Problem is that with the newspaper industry in complete freefall, Ridgell saw the writing on the wall and left the industry altogether. He's working for some financial firm in Denver now. Still, there was a guy who knew how to point out weaknesses in a program without throwing the program under the bus. Hendo never felt the urge to write objectively about CU. He threw CU under the bus at every opportunity. And he wonders why he's universally disrepected. Massive tool who won't be missed at all. His "contribution" to local sports writing is already forgotten.

One more thing regarding "what would you write about." If the BEAT writer would emmerse himself into the program, there would be many stories he could come up with.

One more thing regarding "what would you write about." If the BEAT writer would emmerse himself into the program, there would be many stories he could come up with.

It's not like the guy has been turning out Pulitzer quality work for the last 10 years. I'm actually good with the fact that he hasn't written much lately. When it comes to Hendo, nothing is always preferable.

Ha! One OTHER thing to Duff's question. He's the CU beat writer. He doesn't just have to write about football. He is supposed to write about CU athletics. There should be enough there, alone, to have a twice per week CU section.

Ha! One OTHER thing to Duff's question. He's the CU beat writer. He doesn't just have to write about football. He is supposed to write about CU athletics. There should be enough there, alone, to have a twice per week CU section.

Again, given the quality of his work, shouldn't we be happy he basically blew off his job? Would you actually prefer two Hendo columns per week? I sure wouldn't.

Given the historically low standards required to become a journalist, coupled with the fact that no new talent enters a dying profession, I could have forgiven hendo-perv a lot. I could have forgiven the lack of effort, the 5th grade writing skills, and even the drooling incompetence. But I can't forgive the pure glee he displayed while being incredibly mean spirited. He relished in being a douchebag for no reason other than self stimulation.

Our gain is Italy's loss.

Yo hendo -troll, it must be galling that everyone thinks your retirement is actually improving the post.

Again, given the quality of his work, shouldn't we be happy he basically blew off his job? Would you actually prefer two Hendo columns per week? I sure wouldn't.
I absolutely agree with you. I'm more talking about coverage in general regarding the Post. My comments should be viewed assuming we have a top notch beat writer.

UI'd do a story on Mac's in state recruiting effort. I'd interview HS coaches and players in state. I'd do a general recruiting story. I'd do a story on the facilities upgrades which were barely covered. I'd do stories on individual players and what they do outside of football. How about a story, for instance, on the Mexican kicker? I'd do something on Rick George's first six months. I'd talk to donors and get the story on that. But it isn't my job to find things to write about and I know its impossible to write something daily. But a couple of things a week shouldn't be out of the question.

And what hat the hell does Dave Plati get paid for. It IS his job to see that CU gets some coverage, isn't it? Does he suggest things to the media?

Plati is the sports information director and he is a good one. He does some of the most detailed press releases around. It is not his job to make Sports writers publish certain stories. Right now people associated with CU cannot discuss specific recruits. I would not blame CU for the lack of CU stories...pro sports coverage has become dominant in Denver Metro area - I could care less about the Rockies or the Nuggets but there are always stories about them.

Unfortunately print media is dying and the modern day reporting is just sound bites. People like Drew Soicher is considered a good sports reporter----the guy is an idiot and just repeats the same thing over and over. In depth reporting on sports is now done by ESPN if you want to call that in depth. No one cares about the details they just want the flashy head line.

Plati is the sports information director and he is a good one. He does some of the most detailed press releases around. It is not his job to make Sports writers publish certain stories. Right now people associated with CU cannot discuss specific recruits. I would not blame CU for the lack of CU stories...pro sports coverage has become dominant in Denver Metro area - I could care less about the Rockies or the Nuggets but there are always stories about them.
i think Plati does a very good job as well. But I kind of view an SID, maybe wrongly, as a liaison between the school and the local media as well. I admit, I don't know if that is part of the job description. I also admit you can lead a horse to water..........

i think Plati does a very good job as well. But I kind of view an SID, maybe wrongly, as a liaison between the school and the local media as well. I admit, I don't know if that is part of the job description. I also admit you can lead a horse to water..........

The job of the writer is too sell papers and they have to have an interesting angle to do that. In these days of reality TV, it is obvious that people like controversy and negativism. Plati does effectively interface with the local media including contacting them with the CU point of view when negative things are published, he also tries to get them human interest angles on players and coaches. The fact is CU is only going to get so many column inches and the sports pages are shrinking. Look at the Daily Camera from several years ago...they had a sports department now they have a couple of writers.

I expect writing about CU in the Newspapers to get more sparse.

Unfortunately print media is dying and the modern day reporting is just sound bites. People like Drew Soicher is considered a good sports reporter----the guy is an idiot and just repeats the same thing over and over. In depth reporting on sports is now done by ESPN if you want to call that in depth. No one cares about the details they just want the flashy head line.

I generally agree, but I think that the Daily Camera does a decent job, and gives us plenty of detailed info via Buffzone. In the old days you would have to actually purchase a newspaper in order to read the local beat writer, but with the internet, you can get the Boulder newspaper, and their beat writers, wherever you are, and (at least currently) for free. I used to be an habitual newspaper subscriber, and often subscribed to two or more papers at any given time, and I even got a Sunday mail subscription to the Daily Camera in the late 1980s and early 1990s, as that was the only way I could get decent CU news living in Washington, D.C. These days I never even see a printed newspaper, and don't miss it. While Hendo was an idiot and an annoying nincompoop, I can't really say there is much of a need for a beat reporter in the Denver dead tree newspaper. In can't imagine any recruits read it, nor really care about the particular newspaper whether they are reading online stories about CU on the DP or BDC's website. As far as I know, the DP has never done anything to compile CU coverage like the BDC has with Buffzone. Maybe one local CU reporter at the BDC is enough. I wound take one Kyle Ringo (with all his faults) over a thousand Hendersons. I do, though, miss BG Brooks at the RMN, and wish that he would write more stories for CU on their website.

Now that if think about it, Hendo is retiring to Italy, with its food, weather, and wine. I will probably retire to a crappy apartment in Aurora. With, well, whatever Aurora offers (hopefully the Dry Dock will still be around). I am thinking that maybe I am the schmuck in that comparison.

Some of you are missing the Christmas gift we've been given, and it's got nothing to do with recruiting offers/stars. You realize that hendo even showed up in this thread to try and remind us how much better he understands the program than we do, right?

Some of you are missing the Christmas gift we've been given, and it's got nothing to do with recruiting offers/stars. You realize that hendo even showed up in this thread to try and remind us how much better he understands the program than we do, right?

.... and responded to an AB tweet stating how little we mattered to him.

Absolute contradiction. If we mattered so little, then why bother with a retort?

Pack your bags, grab your passport, and get gone.

LOL, John John actually reads our crap? Hilarious. Just goes to show what a joke the old infotainment people are...while they masquerade as "journalists". No wonder print journalism is going into the can.....

The perv's attitude towards Allbuffs makes me think he did in fact write some of that crap just to see the response here, and the perv's generally ****ty "journalism" is likely the reason for his "retirement." Goodbye, and may your next victim be related to some mafioso type.

it's good to know that if I fail in my career I may still have hope for retirement in Italy.

smh.

it's good to know that if I fail in my career I may still have hope for retirement in Italy.

smh.

You can live cheaply there. Hendo-perv might have already purchased a child bride for like 10 goats and an iPad.

Picture the end of godfather 3 ((a crappy movie no doubt) where Pacino strokes out while sitting on a stool in a dingy town square. That's how the twitter harasser of preteen girls is likely to go out.

Back