What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

John Henderson retiring

I think Plati hates us more than Hendo. One of these days, Plati will realize we're all on the same side, and jagoffs like Hendo are not. Or maybe he won't. It's not like he hasn't had plenty of time to figure that one out. The folks that pay his salary (fans, ticket holders, students) are to be tolerated up until the point where they become annoying, then they're to be ridiculed, hassled and if possible, completely ignored. Meanwhile, douchecanoes like Hendo who do everything they can to bury the program are his friends.

I fully understand the frustration some have with him, and know I'm in the minority here, but I've spent some time with Dave and have nothing but good things to say about him. He's not perfect (who is?) but in my dealings with him, he's always had the best interests of the program at heart and has gone the extra mile for players, past and present, and even for goofy alums such as myself.
The one area where I wish he could find a way to engage is with the passionate fans at places like AB. Like you said, we're all (well, most of us) on the same team. But I also understand his bias against anonymous boards and that he feels like he's been burned by them in the past (player injury info, etc).

I fully understand the frustration some have with him, and know I'm in the minority here, but I've spent some time with Dave and have nothing but good things to say about him. He's not perfect (who is?) but in my dealings with him, he's always had the best interests of the program at heart and has gone the extra mile for players, past and present, and even for goofy alums such as myself.
The one area where I wish he could find a way to engage is with the passionate fans at places like AB. Like you said, we're all (well, most of us) on the same team. But I also understand his bias against anonymous boards and that he feels like he's been burned by them in the past (player injury info, etc).

Plati's love for the program often puts him on the wrong side of a lot of issues. The biggest example was the powder blue protest a few years ago. As opposed to saying "We're grateful to have fans that are passionate" and leaving it at that, he went full retard, saying only 200 people showed up and that they probably didn't even know what they were doing. It made him look like a total fool when he could have handled it so much better. I know he has the best interests of the program at heart. I wouldn't ever dispute that. I just think he needs to abandon the bunker mentality that he's developed and start to embrace the fact (and it is a fact) that he can't control all of the information that comes and goes from the AD. He could do that 20 years ago. That time is gone. As opposed to trying to figure out how to best manage that change, he's tried to fight it. That just makes him look like a dinosaur. His chummy relationship with Hendo is an example of this. Hendo threw the program under the bus at every opportunity. By all rights, the guy should have had his credentials pulled. Instead, he's on Plati's speed dial.

:rofl: The journalistic equivalent of "I know you are but what am I?" The difference is we are a bunch of anonymous posters, just spouting off on a message board. Nobody takes us seriously, and speaking for myself, I don't expect to be taken seriously. Mr. High and Mighty Newsrag man actually expects to be taken seriously (except on some, ahem, questionable tweets). The problem is, I really doubt anything he writes is any better, quality-wise, than much of the stuff you find here. Pitiful. I actually feel sorry for him.

Most definitely have never taken anything Henderson has written seriously.

'too inane to ignore'? I think someone should tell him what inane means.

Just refer him to his own work covering this program. The fact that he's had our attention for the last few years is proof that his statement is correct, and also ironic.

The same company that owns the Post and Camera also own the Longmont Times Call and the Loveland Reporter Herald. They all share stories back and forth. In the Longmont paper the articles about the Broncos come from the Post, the Buffs from the Camera, and CSU from the Loveland paper.

It's called clustering. Knight Ridder was very good at it in the 90s. They did it first and best with the San Jose mercury news and Contra Costa times and then added all the little papers in between. They traded the Camera to Scripps (Rocky Mountain News) for a paper back east someplace to form another cluster. Once they have a good cluster they consolidate operations and advertising, up sell advertising packages, while down sizing newsroom by sharing coverage in network.

So John John quotes Brian Reilly (you know who you are) in an article and then states he has no idea about AB and it is just a bunch of clowns....either he knows AB and there is enough credibility for him to quote a mod as a source, or he is level full of crap that AB is meaningless. Usually someone remains consistent when they argue a point but then again, we're talking infotainment here, so I guess anything goes if it sells.

The same company that owns the Post and Camera also own the Longmont Times Call and the Loveland Reporter Herald. They all share stories back and forth. In the Longmont paper the articles about the Broncos come from the Post, the Buffs from the Camera, and CSU from the Loveland paper.

As far as I can tell, all of the above are (or will very soon be) charging to read their stories and see their ads. What is the best alternative other than the School's site?

The way Hendo - leotard lover is going out is a gift. A gift to all Buff fans everywhere. All class, just like his worthless tenure at the dp.

57 and all those years at the post and what will Johnny be remembered for?

No classic work. No exposes. Just his wonderful tweets at the Olympics and now.

Thanks Johnny for reinforcing your own petty legend as you exit.

A Christmas gift we will always remember.

^

This.

I would have been perfectly happy with him just going away. This petulant little twitter war has made this a thing of beauty.

Just in case this hasn't been included in the 10 pages of this thread.

john henderson tweet.jpg

So glad he is leaving. Anyone would be better than him.

There are at least ten posters on this board that would do a better job. Probably more.

If the DP were smart (they're not), they'd dig up Patrick Ridgell and see if he's willing to come back into the business. Unfortunately, being the CU beat writer for a dying newspaper wouldn't exactly be a step up for him.

There are at least ten posters on this board that would do a better job. Probably more.

If the DP were smart (they're not), they'd dig up Patrick Ridgell and see if he's willing to come back into the business. Unfortunately, being the CU beat writer for a dying newspaper wouldn't exactly be a step up for him.
I know you said at least but that seems an understatement. I'd say more like 100 on AB plus any number of CU grads or college sports aficionados who don't hate CU and who are capable of being objective and competent in their written communication about the CU program (articles, tweets, etc.)

The way Hendo - leotard lover is going out is a gift. A gift to all Buff fans everywhere. All class, just like his worthless tenure at the dp.

57 and all those years at the post and what will Johnny be remembered for?

No classic work. No exposes. Just his wonderful tweets at the Olympics and now.

Thanks Johnny for reinforcing your own petty legend as you exit.

A Christmas gift we will always remember.
i do remember when he was on the food beat he wrote a great column on artichoke dip.

The DP should hire AZ.
Press credentials and a per diem for hookers and blow
What could go wrong. ?

It is a true Christmas blessing Hendo is bailing out before LOI day.

Who knows how many other Diante Jackson's grandmother types there are out there.

A dead donkey sphincter would have put more effort in

This is why I'm so glad he decided to retire. He could have decided to just file his reports from Italy and still put in as much time in Boulder as he was before.

Back