What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jon Embree after the first touchdown

As a counterpoint, can you name one truly great coach who celebrates like a madman on the sideline? Pete Carrol is the only guy I can think of who has had major success on the big stage.

Don't get me wrong - I don't want a stone faced coach who never shows any emotion... But I also don't want my head coach making a habit of chest bumping players as they come off the field. Not the head coach anyway. I think there is a happy medium in there somewhere.

images

espn_g_jmcdaniel2_200.jpg

wait did you say great coaches?

There is definitely a balance to it all. Good coaches know when to kick it up some notches and when to stay relatively restrained.

I don't how it's bush league. ****ing celebrate after every TD and every win.

I don't know, I'm pretty "new-school" when it comes to sportsmanship. But I guess this is one of those instances where I am old school and think the coach needs to carry himself with a certain amount of dignity and respect.

It's an interesting question you pose, and I can't quite put my finger on why - it's sort of the same reason I want my parents to act like my parents and not my friends... And why I want the president to act presidential.

I just think the head coach should carry himself differently than the players and the assistant coaches.

There was a time when all coaches were pretty stoic. That's started to change in recent years. I agree there needs to be a happy medium somewhere. I think JE might be a little too emotional. He'll want to dial that back at some point. I don't have an issue with it for now. He needs to let the players know he's invested in the success of the team. He's as invested as they are, maybe moreso.

It's all about context. Nothing wrong with celebrating a big play once in a while... I didn't think there was anything wrong with JE getting pumped up in this instance given how badly we had struggled all year... I'm just saying over the long haul I'd like to have a coach who acts like they've been there before.

I think of coaches like Tony Sporano or Dan Talkins celebrating like school girls after the opposing team missed a FG and how stupid & amateur it makes them look.

I guess my point is that celebrating is ok up to a point, but it can become bush league. The line is kind of blurry.

I feel that is the crucial point - For this season neither he, (as a head coach), or the players (specifically seniors) had been there before. As a fan, I hope that the time comes when a lone road win does not elicit that kind of a response - just like I hope at some point every home win doesn't mean our fans rush the field - but until winning is the expectation not the exception I want to see every person affiliated with the program wearing their emotions on their sleeve.

I don't think there needs to be any balance. Get ****ing fired up after every good play, the coaches yell at these players all week in practice, its probably the best feeling in the world when they do it right on the field and Embree acknowledges it. When they get that feeling they get even more motivation to do it again. I can't even imagine how awesome it is for the players when they see him doing that. The players who are a little bit down the depth chart say to themselves "Holy **** thats awesome I want Embo to chest bump me and scream **** YEAH! when I do it right." I don't really give a **** what anyone thinks about our coach except the players and I know for a fact that they absolutely love that. It all fits into Embo's philosophy "Nothing good ever comes easy, but its worth it" and working your ass off and getting pushed to the limit all week in practice is all worth it when your coach rewards you like that.

I liked seeing him so fired up in a seemingly meaningless game, especially given his lifeless predecessor...

But truthfully 7 I'd like to have a head coach act like he's been there before. I kind of like Chip Kelly's demeanor on the sideline: confident, spirited and professional. Not saying Embree shouldn't show emotion, but once we start winning more often I'd like to think he'll be able to play it a little cooler.

See bold.

Winning on the road is new territory. This team and coaching staff would need to be there before they can act like they've been there before.

The #1 team goal set back in fall camp was winning a road game. The seniors were committed to getting the stain off the program.

That emotion shown by Embree was an expression of "mission accomplished" and a symbol that a corner had been turned.

I'm fairly certain that the next time that degree of emotion is shown will be when the buffs become bowl eligible.

Agreed with UBL. This is EXACTLY what we need our head coach doing after 5 years of being pussified with zen bull****. He may not need to do this 3 years from now, but for the time being, this is perfect. They've got a clip of Embree's pre-game speech in the locker room on CUBuffs.com as well -- pure gold.

Agreed with UBL. This is EXACTLY what we need our head coach doing after 5 years of being pussified with zen bull****. He may not need to do this 3 years from now, but for the time being, this is perfect. They've got a clip of Embree's pre-game speech in the locker room on CUBuffs.com as well -- pure gold.

I took UBL's post to mean he thinks the in-game demeanor should never change and should be the same in all situations. Not realistic IMO.

First thing I thought of after reading this thread. While fans may like it being emotional doesn't automatically make someone a good coach or as McDaniels would say help them win the mother-fuc*ing game. That being said it was so sweet watching McDaniels throw flying fist-pumps around the stadium while Belichik just sat there and watched in some stupid pom pom hat wondering if they were going to shake hands.

Personally, I like the emotion. I think Embree will always be that way but it wont be after every big play when we start winning regularly, cant act like youve been there when ya havent. Definitely gotta disagree this game was seemingly meaningless, maybe it was in the country's eyes. That said, I guarantee that it wasnt meaningless to this team. They did something that hasnt been done in quite some time. It was a big step and one that absolutely had to be taken. I dont know Embree, maybe some of you guys do. Seems to me he's the type that will rip you a new one if ya **** up but he will be the first one there to support you when you make a play. I know one thing, been awhile since I've seen a coach that proud of his kids, it was genuine too.

**** McDaniels and anybody posting his pictures. That guy was a lying piece of ****. Embree is a straight talking, say what i'm feeling type of guy. I have no problems with his personality. He lives for these moments. Go on and celebrate with the team.

If we start winning consistently, you won't see this type of stuff as much. At the same time, I want a guy who lives for wins & will back it up recruiting wise. So far so good.

Back