What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jon Embree? I love this guy

So troo. But, as the players get indoctrinated to this staff, get to know the system better, and make fewer mistakes, JE will get to back off a bit. If he still needs to crack the whip and call out players repeatedly next year, we may all be in trouble....

Once the culture changes (in years to come) older players may take care of some of it for him. However, I believe camp is a place to be hard, once players have proven they can deliver on what is being requested the attitudes may change. Also - the 'manner of speaking' on the field in practice may be dramatically different from that of meeting rooms and teaching sessions.

I do think that it is far better for a coach to bruise a few egos at the beginning of each season, and set expectations early, so that if a player isn't getting it don in a game and a change is needed there won't be ripple effects with the players at that time. I hope that doesn't change with wins, because if it becomes to cozy after a few wins the wins won't continue.

What Embree is doing now is setting a new standard that the players have to adjust to. After years of juiceboxes and zen bull****, Embree is a slap in the face. Eventually, he'll have to back off a bit, though. You can't keep up the hardass taskmaster bit indefinitely. It starts to wear thin.

Too early to talk like this. Embree has a brick to deliver.

Expectation, Performance, then Reward.

It's camp prior to the first game of the first year. He has got to be 100% about setting expectations. Praise good effort, annihilate bad habits.

If the Buffs come out of Aloha looking good, and continue to impress through the CSU game, then the hard-nosed approach will gain a lot of currency among the players. "It's working".

But if the team is tired, sloppy, and gets blown out, then it's time to re-evaluate the coaching style during camp.

Stay the course. I'll trust Embree and staff until they screw it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too early to talk like this. Embree has a brick to deliver.

Expectation, Performance, then Reward.

It's camp prior to the first game of the first year. He has got to be 100% about setting expectations. Praise good effort, annihilate bad habits.

If the Buffs come out of Aloha looking good, and continue to impress through the CSU game, then the hard-nosed approach will gain a lot of currency among the players. "It's working".

But if the team is tired, sloppy, and gets blown out, then it's time to re-evaluate the coaching style during camp.

Stay the course. I'll trust Embree and staff until they screw it up.

Anybody have an idea when the team arrives in Hawaii? Just curious if it will be long enough to adjust jet lag, climate, etc.

Back