What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jon Gruden is aweful

I agree JR, he's got it made. Makes good money and doesn't have the headaches that come with coaching. Only one thing might make him think about it. He's a competitor. Most people that I know that are like that have a hard time putting that to bed. I'm that way and will be till I'm dead most likely lol.

Yeah Gruden turned down some NFL jobs already, if he wanted to come back he would have already. I like him as a commentator and also enjoy his film sessions where he grills the senior QBs right before the draft. I definitely wouldn't want Gruden picking apart everything I did.

I eagerly await seeing JFF sitting in front of Gruden. They could put that on pay per view.

I agree that many coaches do struggle from one level to the other. I don't know what it was with Carrol. It looks like a switch was flipped when he got to SC and he figured it out.

With Carrol I think a big part has to do with experience, he learned from his failures and his successes. A bigger part is situational. I think there are a lot of coaches who would be successful at certain places who completely fail at others. Look at what Hawk did at Boise then CU.

When Carrol got to USC the program was waiting for a guy with a personality like his to guide it. It is hard not to recruit well there but motivating and getting the "star" type players to buy in is an issue. Carrol was well suited for that job. On the other hand how would he have done at a place with a completely different culture like an SEC school?

Going to Seattle was also almost a perfect match. Young team, an owner willing to provide him full support and lots of control. It also helps to hit the jackpot on a young QB who is well suited to what you want to do like Wilson. How would Carrol have done at say Cleveland or KC?

I like him because he is the exact opposite of his chucky coaching persona. He always seems overjoyed to be there talking football, and he's always overwhelmingly positive about every player.

Why do people think Carroll was a failure in the NFL the first time around?

In 1994, Carroll was elevated to head coach of the Jets. Known for energy and youthful enthusiasm, Carroll painted a basketball court in the parking lot of the team's practice facility where he and his assistant coaches regularly played three-on-three games during their spare time.[SUP][12][/SUP] The Jets got off to a 6–5 start under Carroll, but in week 12, he was the victim of Dan Marino's "clock play"—a fake spike that became a Miami Dolphins game-winning touchdown. The Jets lost all of their remaining games to finish 6–10. He was fired after one season.[SUP][[/SUP]

Carroll was hired for the next season by the San Francisco 49ers, where he served as defensive coordinator for the following two seasons (1995–96). His return to success as the defensive coordinator led to his hiring as the head coach of the New England Patriots in 1997, replacing coach Bill Parcells, who had resigned after disputes with the team's ownership. His 1997 Patriots team won the AFC East division title, but his subsequent two teams did not fare as well—losing in the wild card playoff round in 1998, and missing the playoffs after a late-season slide in 1999—and he was fired after the 1999 season. Patriots owner Robert Kraft said firing Carroll was one of the toughest decisions he has had to make since buying the team, stating "A lot of things were going on that made it difficult for him to stay, some of which were out of his control. And it began with following a legend."[SUP][12][/SUP] Before leaving for college football he coached with the Seattle Seahawks as cornerbacks coach. His combined NFL record as a head coach was 33–31, and he was later considered a much better fit for college football than the NFL after his success at USC.[SUP][[/SUP]
The NE team he took over from Parcells was a talented team and Carroll was looked at as underperforming his talent.

Signed, Pete Carroll, Jim Harbaugh, et al. Gruden at USC would be bad for us.

Countersigned, Charlie Weiss, Jon Embree, Steve Fairchild, et al.

NFL guys usually fail miserably in the college game. Harbaugh went from college to the NFL, which seems to have a better success rate although not by much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Countersigned, Charlie Weiss, Jon Embree, Steve Fairchild, et al.

NFL guys usually fail miserably in the college game. Harbaugh went from college to the NFL, which seems to have a better success rate although not by much.

Charlie was an OC, Embree was a TE coach and Fairchild was an OC. Pete Carroll was a head coach, as was Jon Gruden. That doesn't mean he'd be successful, but just something I noticed about the examples you gave.

Some other examples:
Dave Wannstedt - He was just terrible at Pitt
Mike Riley - Bad NFL coach, but he's been great for Oregon St
Bill Callahan - Awful
Jim Mora - Seems to be the right fit at UCLA

In other words - There's no winning formula for finding the right coach.

Carroll's personality seemed to be his biggest reason for success. I think Gruden would do well, too. He has a personality that would win over top recruits & their families. And he won a Superbowl with Brad Johnson for christ sake :lol:.

I get the impression that most (not all) NFL guys don't like the recruiting part of coaching in the colleges.

I also think they come from an atmosphere where there are fewer distractions, more stability in their rosters, and a higher level of commitment than what you see at the college level. NFL guys don't understand that they're dealing with a bunch of 19 year old kids. They have a hard time communicating with the players. There's a big difference between the two, IMO.

I get the impression that most (not all) NFL guys don't like the recruiting part of coaching in the colleges.

I think it all comes down to their ability to relate to people and to delegate responsibility. They guys who are the micromanagers and the dictatatorial personalities have a hard time making the transition from one to another. The guys who are willing to surround themselves with good assistants and let/support them in doing their jobs do much better.

Pro coaches can manage with the waiver wire and the carrot of future contracts. College coaches have to develop relationships in order to recruit and keep kids. College coaches who can recruit don't have to be as good with the X's and O's since they can win a lot of games on talent. In the pros the talent is close enough that coaching is a bigger factor.

A few guys are good at both the relationship side of it and the coaching management side and will do well no matter the level. Harbaugh is an example of this, so was Jimmy Johnson.

The recruiting is a big issues. It seems like a lot of NFL guys don't want to be involved in kissing up to 16-18 yo kids. On the other hand a lot of the college coaches who are good at recruiting have a hard time being the quiet hard ass who demands the level of performance NFL players have to put out. I also get the impression that the overall work load of an NFL coach is much higher on a year around basis.

Guys like Dierdorf elevate the game with good conversation and snippets.
2013-January-12-16-33-27.jpg

Back