What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

JoPa and his entire staff should be fired

Slade - I gotta tell you, your reaction to all this is an indicator of why so many people have problems with lawyers and the legal profession. This isn't about what was legal and illegal. It was about what was right and wrong. Your unwillingness to cross that line between legal and ethical is what is causing the problem here.
fwiw, I don't think slade is acting this way because he is a lawyer. However, I do think the trait he is displaying is a trait often useful in a lawyer.

The more I think about this and more I read, why the hell didn't the grad assistant walk in there, punch the guy in the mouth, tell the kid to get dressed, and called 911?

The PSU culture, like that of many organizations, looks like something out of a Stanley Milgram experiment. People are conditioned (and maybe inherently disposed) to listen to authority. We pass off personal responsibility for things to those in authority. If you asked the GA if he should have directly intervened, he would probably say he should have. But in that moment within that culture, he didn't see himself as someone who could challenge a figure like Sandusky and didn't see it as his responsibility to do anything other than report it to the top dog so that he could decide what to do. He didn't even call Paterno until the next day. He told his story, he stuck to his story, and he was able to go on working there for the next 8 years as a loyal employee despite what he knew had gone on.

Footnote on Milgram - his experiments made it clear that any medium sized town in America has more than enough people who would do as they're told and run death camps if people in authority applied psychological pressure in the right way.

Yeah sadness and disgust often turns to anger with me, call it a character flaw. I wear my emotions on my sleeve I guess. Being a dad, I just cant imagine any of this and how these people didnt act? Who give a **** whether it costs you a job? Maybe my priorities are backwards in today's world but right and wrong is much more important than a career move to me. I dont know how this GA has lived with this if of course he saw what was reported, **** JoePa, Im intervening myself or calling the police or doing something. I dont know man, just dont know.
I hear you. As I said above, I have never had to deal with something like that thankfully. About the closest I ever got was when my roomate and I heard a commotion outside and saw a dude slapping a woman around in the parking lot of the complex where we lived. We both ran outside and were running to the scene when the cop cruiser, literally, slid to a stop between us and the dude and his GF/Wife. I don't know what would have happened had we gotten there before, but the general mood when we set out was, "Let's get him". I imagine I would have felt the same way if I saw a kid getting abused as well....

Slade - I gotta tell you, your reaction to all this is an indicator of why so many people have problems with lawyers and the legal profession. This isn't about what was legal and illegal. It was about what was right and wrong. Your unwillingness to cross that line between legal and ethical is what is causing the problem here.

You're probably right about that! I wonder, were either Curley or Schultz attorneys?

The PSU culture, like that of many organizations, looks like something out of a Stanley Milgram experiment. People are conditioned (and maybe inherently disposed) to listen to authority. We pass off personal responsibility for things to those in authority. If you asked the GA if he should have directly intervened, he would probably say he should have. But in that moment within that culture, he didn't see himself as someone who could challenge a figure like Sandusky and didn't see it as his responsibility to do anything other than report it to the top dog so that he could decide what to do. He didn't even call Paterno until the next day. He told his story, he stuck to his story, and he was able to go on working there for the next 8 years as a loyal employee despite what he knew had gone on.

Footnote on Milgram - his experiments made it clear that any medium sized town in America has more than enough people who would do as they're told and run death camps if people in authority applied psychological pressure in the right way.
Well said. Better than my meager explanation. Also, his reaction is often seen when people witnessing a crime do nothing. Most of us say, "boy, if that'd been me, I'd have stepped in." But, when it actually happens, most people don't.

I find it surprising that CU fans, having witnessed first-hand what ESPN and their 'never let the facts get in the way of a good story' reporting style can do, would be so willing to cast judgement so quickly on Joe Pa.

I'm not saying he should keep his job, I'm not saying he should be fired. All I'm saying is that we, as a fanbase, know exactly what facts ESPN chooses to report and what it chooses not to report. If, in the final analysis, it is apparent that Joe Pa neglected his duties, then it should be dealt with then. ESPN's desire to whip up a sanctimonious frenzy to fuel their ratings should not fly, especially among Buff faithful.

I find it surprising that CU fans, having witnessed first-hand what ESPN and their 'never let the facts get in the way of a good story' reporting style can do, would be so willing to cast judgement so quickly on Joe Pa.

You know that he testified in front of the grand jury, right? He has admitted to the chain of events. And that is what I judge him on. That he sat idly by and did nothing while his buddy went along his merry way assaulting children.

I don't watch ESPN unless a game is on.

I'm not saying he should keep his job, I'm not saying he should be fired. All I'm saying is that we, as a fanbase, know exactly what facts ESPN chooses to report and what it chooses not to report. If, in the final analysis, it is apparent that Joe Pa neglected his duties, then it should be dealt with then. ESPN's desire to whip up a sanctimonious frenzy to fuel their ratings should not fly, especially among Buff faithful.
I base my opinion on the Grand Jury Report. I based my opinion of the CU "scandal" on my reading of the depositions the Camera posted. I wouldn't assume everyone here is following ESPiN's lead.

There's very little referencing of ESPN or sports journalism in these threads. We've been using a lot of different sources.

89522_la.jpg

It sounds to me he doesn't really believe in the ethical side of things, only the legal. Wasn't his kid, so he doesn't care.

Well said. Better than my meager explanation. Also, his reaction is often seen when people witnessing a crime do nothing. Most of us say, "boy, if that'd been me, I'd have stepped in." But, when it actually happens, most people don't.

I don't blame the guy for not doing anything on the spot. I can't say what I would do in that very moment. But I do blame him (and Paterno, and everyone else that covered this up) for not going to the police later that night, the next day, etc. He's been seeing this guy regularly for the last 9 years and never once thought 'hey, I saw that guy raping a little boy. Maybe I should call the cops.'

It sounds to me he doesn't really believe in the ethical side of things, only the legal. Wasn't his kid, so he doesn't care.

I don't think he doesn't care. I think he's like most lawyers, particularly litigators. A good defense attorney can't be swayed by societal norms of "right" and "wrong". His obligation is to put on the best defense possible for his client. If he goes too far down the road of morality, he's unable to do his job properly. We need people like that, but they are infurating at times.

I don't think he doesn't care. I think he's like most lawyers, particularly litigators. A good defense attorney can't be swayed by societal norms of "right" and "wrong". His obligation is to put on the best defense possible for his client. If he goes too far down the road of morality, he's unable to do his job properly. We need people like that, but they are infurating at times.

He has very clearly stated that he does not believe there is a right or wrong in this case. That tells me he doesn't really have much of a moral compass.

And no, I don't think he really cares about what happened. He seems more interested in Paterno's tarnished legacy than anything else.

in another post I set the pin at 13 days. over/under?
Over - he'll maintain his innocence as long as possible, but once the final pieces crumble away (wife/family leave him), and he's facing serious jail time (and prison payback), he'll do it.

I don't blame the guy for not doing anything on the spot. I can't say what I would do in that very moment. But I do blame him (and Paterno, and everyone else that covered this up) for not going to the police later that night, the next day, etc. He's been seeing this guy regularly for the last 9 years and never once thought 'hey, I saw that guy raping a little boy. Maybe I should call the cops.'
According to College Football Live, this guy, is on a recruiting trip and not on campus. You've got to be ****ing kidding me. Im pretty sure I wouldnt open the door for that one. I cant believe this could have been handled any worse.

You are correct that he has to put on a good defense which really means that he requires the state to prove the charges in court. That mostly has nothing to do with right and wrong. The right and wrong are tied to the law itself which you can think of as basically "public morality." If the prosecution wins the case the defendant is morally wrong as a convicted criminal. And yes, Sackman, we take pride in infuriating you every chance we get.

How come nobody is bringing up the point that the alleged rapist was allowed continued access to the campus and athletic facilities on a regular basis - this for several years after he admitted to taking a shower there with a boy in 1998, and certainly after the charges that were known to be reported to Paterno occured? There are reports that he was with a young boy using athletic facilities as recently as last month.

Everybody at that university who knew that Sundusky had any sort of history with charges like these should have pulled the plug on enabling him to continue what he was doing. This includes Paterno. He knew that Sundusky had been accused of crimes against children, and he looked the other way while Sandusky brought kid after kid with him to the football facilities.

This thing is going to go on for a long time. I have read estimates that this will end up costing the university over $100 million when all is said and done. Why would they make matters worse by delaying in getting rid of the primary people involved?

How come nobody is bringing up the point that the alleged rapist was allowed continued access to the campus and athletic facilities on a regular basis - this for several years after he admitted to taking a shower there with a boy in 1998, and certainly after the charges that were known to be reported to Paterno occured? There are reports that he was with a young boy using athletic facilities as recently as last month.

Everybody at that university who knew that Sundusky had any sort of history with charges like these should have pulled the plug on enabling him to continue what he was doing. This includes Paterno. He knew that Sundusky had been accused of crimes against children, and he looked the other way while Sandusky brought kid after kid with him to the football facilities.

This thing is going to go on for a long time. I have read estimates that this will end up costing the university over $100 million when all is said and done. Why would they make matters worse by delaying in getting rid of the primary people involved?
I'm pretty sure that's been brought up. I think this is at least the second trhead on this, if not more.

Back