What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jordan Webb must be benched

hatcher and bjax are two totally different stories. mac went to the option to neutralize
talent deficiencies and make coaching and discipline part of the mix. people act like the option is easy but it requires a lot of practice, timing, teaching guards to pull ahead pf the play and put a hat on linebackers in the open field, not just grunting it out or drop back pass blocking....wr's blocking downfield. qb has to make a read on the fullback handoff from behind center...not 7 yards deep from the DL.

maybe an option team controls time of possession but without a really good if not great D....the hatcher type mac option can't score enough points to win games. am a huge of the triple option....but you are rarely beat people to the corner these days with the kind of speed on D.

and we don't have a really good D. that was the key to the great CU, NU, and OU option teams. great, great defense.

and we don't have the OL to run it because that's where it starts. they used to say the Osborne NU teams only had about 5 plays, but they blocked each one about 5 different ways. it all started up front. we clearly do not have that.

i liked bjax as a player a lot and saw white and cox in person and thought, too, he was the best option...but the throw it into the bleachers on 3rd and 5 play i saw way too many times in Hawk year 1.

Last edited:
I fear Webb really is the best available QB on the roster. Think about that for a second. Unless you are going to burn Dillon's RS, I really don't think it matters. Webb, Wood and Hirsch should not see the field next year unless it is mop up time. No need to even mention Schrock, Dorman et al.....

maybe an option team controls time of possession but without a really good if not great D....the hatcher type mac option can't score enough points to win games. am a huge of the triple option....but you are rarely beat people to the corner thesedays with the kind of speed on D.

One of the reasons the option worked during that era is that many of the best teams played offenses with heavy inside power running games, the old Woody Hays three yards and a cloud of dust. Teams tended to have big, slow D-Linemen and LBs who were best suited to going straight ahead, taking on a G or a FB and attacking a RB between the tackles.

Now with all the spread offenses we see teams have put a premium on speed. DEs are faster and more mobile than LBs were in the heyday of the option. LBs are expected to go sideline to sideline and are often as fast as the RBs are.

I also question if you could find personel who would be able to run the option. You can't just "stick a WR in there at QB" and run it. It requires a high degree of precision, perfect timing, and on top of that the ability to make the right decision instantaniously play after play. It works well for the service academies because they get kids who have the disicpline and intelligence to play it.

The option is tremendous fun to watch and I would love to see it again but I'm not sure it would be successful even if we didn't lack talent.

I fear Webb really is the best available QB on the roster. Think about that for a second. Unless you are going to burn Dillon's RS, I really don't think it matters. Webb, Wood and Hirsch should not see the field next year unless it is mop up time. No need to even mention Schrock, Dorman et al.....

Doesn't Shrock have mono? Maybe he is the answer.

It's hard to believe the coaches wouldn't put the best QB on the field, so I suspect we have nothing better. If we could run the ball at all, we could potentially have a more potent offense with Moten playing the Tebow role.

I said this before... Webb is the best QB on the roster. hands down... and i think he is taking a lot of heat that is unfair... he has zero weapons or speed to work with... all of our receivers are just slow possession receivers. Gerald has the speed but lacks the size. i think next year when he has a Prich and a jeff thomas and sprucie and GT in the slot where they belong he will shock some people. not to mention another year of the Oline getting better. It is just tough because this is all we have at WR right now. nothing we can do about it... non of them are "game changers". WR is a big issue for us because of losing probably our two best in prich and jeff

I said this before... Webb is the best QB on the roster. hands down... and i think he is taking a lot of heat that is unfair... he has zero weapons or speed to work with... all of our receivers are just slow possession receivers. Gerald has the speed but lacks the size. i think next year when he has a Prich and a jeff thomas and sprucie and GT in the slot where they belong he will shock some people. not to mention another year of the Oline getting better. It is just tough because this is all we have at WR right now. nothing we can do about it... non of them are "game changers". WR is a big issue for us because of losing probably our two best in prich and jeff
Agreed. This is a stupid thread.

This is probably true. Since he overthrows the slower guys by 5 yards everytime.

Do not agree with your take on Webb. He is not getting it done. To put as much blame on the receivers as you are is over simplification. CU tried to throw two tunnel screens in the first quarter...Webb missed them both - he is constantly missing open receivers. He may be the best QB - I do not know but he is not playing very well.

So we are counting on a true freshman to play a large role in making a clearly limited QB much better? Nice.

What if Webb is the future? What if EB and JE are looking at all the Qbs on the roster and realizing that they are all a bust (including Dillion) and Webb really is the best of the bunch. They are playing webb now because he will have to carry the load next year unless they can land a 5 star qb ready to play as a true freshman.

Scary thought, I know, but when you're in dark places scary thoughts abound...

Last edited:
What it Webb is the future? What if EB and JE are looking at all the Qbs on the roster and realizing that they are all a bust (including Dillion) and Webb really is the best of the bunch. They are playing webb now because he will have to carry the load next year unless they can land a 5 star qb ready to play as a true freshman.

I am not sure I trust their player evaluations.

Webb has trouble completing bubble screens, he's a bad quarterback. Tough kid, but we need to see what else we have. Let Wood/Hirschman play out the season and see if they're even worth considering next year.

he was bad at KU, he is bad here, he needs to go

Back