What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jordan Webb named as starter - Confirmed

I will not argue that Webb is a great college QB, but I believe it was an open competition and our highly experienced former NFL staff chose the player they thought would put them in a position to win.

Well if Webb offers the best chance to win after 8 practices, our highly experienced NFL staff hasn't developed our other qbs worth a damn.

It's disappointing to default into a guy that Kansas dumped. It's a mark of how terrible CU is. Along with the poor recruiting, no national hype, closed camps and a head coach that is invisible on the national radar, it's just one disappointment after another year after year.

Emotional reaction, I know. Run ralphie.

Well if Webb offers the best chance to win after 8 practices, our highly experienced NFL staff hasn't developed our other qbs worth a damn.

It's disappointing to default into a guy that Kansas dumped. It's a mark of how terrible CU is. Along with the poor recruiting, no national hype, closed camps and a head coach that is invisible on the national radar, it's just one disappointment after another year after year.

Emotional reaction, I know. Run ralphie.
I look forward to your crow. If there is one thing I expect out of this group of players/coaches, it is average QB play to be the minimum. Tyler was a headcase with no OL and a limited backfield, and they got a serviceable season out of him and sent him to the NFL. I look forward to what they do in the future.

I like how it's all Wood sucks and no credit to Webb and we must have ****** QB's because Webb is the starter. Embree had pretty positive things to say about Wood but it sounds like Webb was very impressive.

Personally, I'm going to miss the Wood to Spruce jousting on here. Congrats if it's Webb. At least a decision has been made. Charlotte or internets webb sites joke will work well.

Not sure what to think. I was hoping Wood would separate himself, but that's based purely on him being a 4* recruit that was pursued by several big programs. If he couldn't do in a year what Webb has done in a few short weeks then I don't know what to think of the situation. As much as I like Embree, I also don't like that he announced it on twitter in the form of a riddle.

Obviously, Wood did separate himself.

I think this disappoints me mainly because of how last year there were lots of "insider" reports of Wood dominating on the scout team. Things like, "If he were eligible, he'd be starting over Hansen." From there, add in an entire spring where he gets 100% of the reps, plus summer. Then an average at best QB from Kansas rolls in a takes the starting job with ease.

You should be more disappointed in the "insider" giving the reports than the content or subjects

What if Webb rips off his face ala Mission Impossible and it's really Cody Hawkins. Then what.

He'll be nice and average and it's not like he has anyone left to throw to, so I think we'll be alright.

Adam with his press conference up

[video=youtube;bCSmtic8c0I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCSmtic8c0I[/video]

We like to bitch about Cody, but if he'd had good OL play and a run game, he would have been a very good college QB. Kid was accurate and could sling it. Problem was, he couldn't move very well and he didn't get any protection. Stats may have been inflated a bit by playcalling, but still, you don't set the passing yardage record if you can't play.

Nik, you're testing my patience with this post.:smile2:

Anyway, we'll see what happens this season. My guess is we see more than one QB start though (and through injury either).

I like how it's all Wood sucks and no credit to Webb and we must have ****** QB's because Webb is the starter. Embree had pretty positive things to say about Wood but it sounds like Webb was very impressive.

Maybe the people saying Wood sucks are right. Look at all the events up to now. He was a RS-Freshman and got beat by David Ash and Case McCoy. Their respective stats:
6 TD (1 rushing, 1 receiving) 8 INTs, 7 TD 4 INTs. He had all least season and this spring to be named the starter. Not only was he not named the starter, but the staff also brought in a Webb and Dillon, telling Dillon he'd get a look at starting. Now why would you tell a kid in HS that he has a chance of starting unless your current QB situation was really bad.

Then he was so handily beat by Webb, who has the disadvantage of not knowing the playbook, within two weeks of practice. It was so obvious that they didn't even need a scrimmage to name a starter. If you still think Wood is even decent then go watch his HS games : http://www.youtube.com/user/RobertJonesSports. He constantly misses passes. He would overthrow simple drags, throw too high (making his receivers jump unnecessarily or disrupt their rhythm. He looked surprisingly good on slants and runs though. Go look back at the spring game. He was going against downright HORRIBLE competition that anybody would've shredded. He looked okay, but still shaky.

This isn't to say Webb isn't good. It just means that beating out Wood does not make him good. The staff might have already had it in their mind that they didn't like what they saw out of Wood. It doesn't matter what they say in public. Of course Embree isn't going to be too critical of his players, especially one that he brought in.

Congrats to Jordan! I am so glad he took the reigns and won the job. Go Buffs!

Congrats to Webb

I LOVE the move! Nothing beats in game experience and we will need it in bucket loads! Jordan Webb said it best, "When you play at Texas in front of 100,000 ......" and he is right, and we play at places like USC this year and at Oregon, now i still doubt we pull of wins at those places but this guy gives us the best chance just based on playing games in pressure situations.

Good luck Jordan, welcome to Boulder and GO BUFFS!!!

It's weird cause Hirsh and Wood had way better stats than Webb. I doubt they picked the guy that moved the chains the most often during practice. You can't coach will.

Wow-we saw the writing on the wall but like many others I was hoping Wood would rise above the rest because he has the physical skills. Not a big fan of undersized QBs playing in a pro style offense-just like I'd like to see us have some bigger backs someday get to 1st on the depth chart.

Given that he named Webb starter before the scrimmage it must not really have been close. I do agree though that we will see Wood this year on the field so we can also be the judge. However, I do have faith in our coaches-many are new in their positions but Rip for example has coached many a college and pro QB so they must have confidence in Webb.

I do however think that maybe Wood gets passed by and Dillon competes for the starting job next year.

Don't know if anyone read the SI article on the "Sabanization of College Football" but it was very interesting. Pointed out that all of the Saban's QB's are really not that great. They are great game managers and are smart with the ball. If we can have someone that can complete 65-75 percent of the short passes and get a good running game then our offense just 'dink and dunks' down the field to score. I think with Webb's experience and the fact that he seems to understand how to manage the offense and manage the game, we will be alright.

I was hoping for Wood based on the physical skills and the potential upside with him but Embree has to make a choice. This is still a very young team and they need to get the starters on the same page as the starting QB. By calling it now they can focus on getting Webb and the team lined up to go.

I think it is safe to say with this decision up in the air the vast majority of the meaningful reps were being taken by the three main competitors. We kept hearing about the DBs making interceptions which means somebody was throwing them and Embree wouldn't identify who. If a big number of them were from Wood this decision is very understandable. Embree doesn't want to give our opponents any easy, short drives for scores. It makes sense to sacrifice a few big plays for some punts instead of picks.

This also doesn't mean the decision is final. Embree has made it clear that he believes every position is open for competition. Potentially if Wood can relax in practice now that the pressure is off him and in time show that he deserves a shot he will get it.

Also anyone who is ready to write of Dillon already is just plain shooting in the dark. Even if Webb starts this whole year it doesn't mean that the position won't be re-opened next year. Dillon if healthy is more than talented enough that if he grasp the offense and can minimize mistakes could take over the job.

Don't get the disappointment....Wood had 101 opportunities to seize the job and so did Hirsch and a guy with 2 weeks on the team made it a fairly simple and quick decision for Embree

While not a giant upgrade from TH, Webb is certainly just as athletic and just as good if not better....no drop off in game experience either

You are kidding yourself if you thought Wood or Hirsch were going to turn this program around....if anything Shane Dillon is the only true player that could be that future star, but Webb will fit the bill perfectly until that maturity happens while not providing any drop off in what we've had recently

The best thing about this is that it shows that our Head Coach can make a decision that is expected of a head coach. No more of this wait until the day before the first game to figure it out. Right now we have a starter and a leader. If he doesnt work out then fine, get the next guy in there, but you have to hitch your trailer to something or you aren't going anywhere.

The best thing about this is that it shows that our Head Coach can make a decision that is expected of a head coach. No more of this wait until the day before the first game to figure it out. Right now we have a starter and a leader. If he doesnt work out then fine, get the next guy in there, but you have to hitch your trailer to something or you aren't going anywhere.

And unlike our last coach the decision was made based on a football decision.

I wonder if GB's comments to the effect of "nothing beats experience" might have played into this just a bit. Put another way, I wonder if Embree didn't get a little too enamored with the experience angle and started to see things in Webb's performance that led him to a predetermined conclusion.

In any event, I'm glad the decision was made. Give Webb a ton of reps and get him and the rest of the offense on the same page. We can't afford to lay an egg against the goats.

I look forward to your crow. If there is one thing I expect out of this group of players/coaches, it is average QB play to be the minimum. Tyler was a headcase with no OL and a limited backfield, and they got a serviceable season out of him and sent him to the NFL.

If 3-10 with some unwatchable games is serviceable from a senior qb, then ****, maybe we should drop our expectations all the way to the MWC.

NO one has addressed this yet: what are the odds that Hirsch lasts through camp? Prime transfer risk.

Back