What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jordan Webb - Thoughts......

If Wood goes down with a concussion I absolutely go with Gehrke or Sefo regardless or score or situation. A concussion will keep Wood out at least a week so we need to get these kids some experience. I'm really not as concerned about preserving these precious redshirts and I'm willing to live with some freshmen struggles this season if it makes us a better team next year.

If Wood goes down and we play Webb to protect these redshirts, we're in the same position with our QBs next season: Wood and a couple other kids who haven't taken a single snap - that's not a good position to be in.

Now if it's a minor thumb injury or something that won't keep Wood out for more than a quarter or so, fine play Webb.

Scenario that hasn't been discussed, Wood loses his helmet and we are out of timeouts.

A lot of the discussion on here seems to imply we're thinking about benching Wood for Webb. Not sure Mac has said anything of the sort. But in the case of an injury to Wood, why not put Sefo in? How many guys play every game of their entire 4-year career anyway? If he got 4-5 games in this year, that just sets him up better to take over next year and then he's got two more years of eligibility even after that. We've already shown the 10-20% improvement this year over last year, we'll likely get 3 (maybe 4) wins. That's about all you could reasonably expect. Getting your (potentially) future starter some Pac-12 reps only helps for 2014 and beyond.

Do you have a point to make, or are you just free associating?
More of how I look forward to seeing the bitching a few years down the line about how we burnt Sefo's RS for a few games if it does indeed happen.

I'm in the camp of RS'ing Sefo at all costs. If that means Webb becomes QB #2, so be it.

More of how I look forward to seeing the bitching a few years down the line about how we burnt Sefo's RS for a few games if it does indeed happen.

I'm in the camp of RS'ing Sefo at all costs. If that means Webb becomes QB #2, so be it.

or the same with Klatt and Barney

Understood, and agreed.

Hansen was certainly jerked around by Hawk, but our QB problems wouldn't have been solved with an extra year out of Hansen - his biggest problem was that he never really got any better. If Sefo and Gehrke has similar ceilings, then who cares about preserving that 5th year? And if they don't and they are going to be good QBs for us, then I'm not worried about saving them for 2017.

Hansen was certainly jerked around by Hawk, but our QB problems wouldn't have been solved with an extra year out of Hansen - his biggest problem was that he never really got any better. If Sefo and Gehrke has similar ceilings, then who cares about preserving that 5th year? And if they don't and they are going to be good QBs for us, then I'm not worried about saving them for 2017.
Hindsight is 20/20

Hindsight is 20/20

?? Then what's your point? You could argue that Hansen's situation showed us that trying to preserve redshirts isn't always the best strategy. In hindsight, we probably would have been better off just taking Hansen's redshirt and committing to letting him play from that point on.

?? Then what's your point? You could argue that Hansen's situation showed us that trying to preserve redshirts isn't always the best strategy. In hindsight, we probably would have been better off just taking Hansen's redshirt and committing to letting him play from that point on.

Ok i pulled the numbers for fun, your assertion Hansen did not get better is wrong. Hansen steadily improved in all areas of his game each year expcept his last where his QB rating was flat, and his completion % went down. However that same year he upped his yards per attempt for the 4th straight season, and dropped his TD to Int ration to 2-1 from a career average of 1-1.

You cant honestly tell me you think we don't win more than 1 game with Hansen last year (i'd say at least 3)? Or that you think we don't win more than 2 games in 2006 with Klatt rather than BJax (probably 6 or 7 games)?

Point is that one example does not make it common. Redshirting a true freshman>playing a true freshman in most cases, especially at QB.

We have people who bitched about Hansen having his RS pulled all the way to the end of last season and bitching about how Hawk pulled it for no reason. Well, what's different in this situation? We're four games in, it's doubtful he'll play this weekend so then we're half way into the season by time Sefo would play, what the hell is the point in burning his RS then? Set this team up for 2015 with Sefo running the offense as a third year sophomore. He will have a full understanding of the playbook then, have a couple years with Lindgren, have spent a few years in a college strength program, and will be used to the speed of the game as he will have played in 2014.

Ok i pulled the numbers for fun, your assertion Hansen did not get better is wrong. Hansen steadily improved in all areas of his game each year expcept his last where his QB rating was flat, and his completion % went down. However that same year he upped his yards per attempt for the 4th straight season, and dropped his TD to Int ration to 2-1 from a career average of 1-1.

You cant honestly tell me you think we don't win more than 1 game with Hansen last year (i'd say at least 3)? Or that you think we don't win more than 2 games in 2006 with Klatt rather than BJax (probably 6 or 7 games)?
:yeahthat:

Last edited:
Tyler Hansen 2.0

I personally think Tyler was much better. He struck me as one that just had the rug pulled out from him so much that he never reached his full potential (2 redshirt seasons yanked). He threw a much prettier ball than Webb and was much more mobile and actually had some decent running ability.

I personally think Tyler was much better. He struck me as one that just had the rug pulled out from him so much that he never reached his full potential (2 redshirt seasons yanked). He threw a much prettier ball than Webb and was much more mobile and actually had some decent running ability.

I agree. TH was much better than CH. He was, IMO, a better QB than Klatt. He could have been a pretty good CFB QB, but HaLk totally screwed him over. In retropsect, it is not hard to imagine since HaLk's real motivation was to get CH the QB job no matter what.

I agree. TH was much better than CH. He was, IMO, a better QB than Klatt. He could have been a pretty good CFB QB, but HaLk totally screwed him over. In retropsect, it is not hard to imagine since HaLk's real motivation was to get CH the QB job no matter what.

I agree. Hansen was a pretty good runner in addition to being an okay passer. If he were used properly he could have been even better for us.

Hansen would have killed it in 2011 if we has Lindgren as the OC with the weapons in PRich, Clemons, and Speedy that he had.

Sent from a red light

Hansen would have killed it in 2011 if we has Lindgren as the OC with the weapons in PRich, Clemons, and Speedy that he had.

Sent from a red light

There really was no excuse for that offense finishing that poorly.

Of all of DII's many mistakes....pulling Tyler Hansen's redshirt to jerk him in and out of the lineup because sonny boy couldn't get the job done was right near the top

It would be a mistake for HCMM to play Sefo this year unless he is going to just take over the starting duties and be the CU starting quarterback until the day he leaves Boulder.

I want Wood to play the entire year if possible but if he is hurt I don't see how playing the most experienced QB left on your roster is going to hurt you any more than playing Wood who is up and down has hurt you. This staff has done a good job getting this program some solid footing and to build towards the future. With us being in the heart of a loaded Pac 12 conference run, why risk damaging Sefo's psyche to possibly gain some experience. I'd rather he have an entire spring and fall to get ready to compete for the job with Wood for 2014.

I'm all for preserving Sefo & G's RS. We're so bad right now (especially at O line) that whomever gets under center is going to get pounded and play poorly regardless their talent level or how much experience they have. Given that, I'd rather damage Wood and Webb than mess with the future by turning Sefo and G into punching bags.

I know it won't result in more QB's with game experience next year, but it will result in a couple of young QBs who will have a full year of very solid coaching under their belts and a much greater depth of knowledge with the offensive system. With this, and hopefully better o line play, I think one of these young QBs has a shot at developing into a good player.

Putting Sefo into the mix at this point in time you send a message to the team that you are playing for the future not to win in the present. I don't think that MacIntyre wants to send that message to the team especially when he is trying to turn around the culture. Sefo is not ready (and Gerke is farther behind him). If a game situation comes along and MacIntrye wants to change things up at QB, Webb is a good option - when you are going 0-15 on 3rd downs those thoughts go through the coach's mind.

Point is that one example does not make it common. Redshirting a true freshman>playing a true freshman in most cases, especially at QB.

We have people who bitched about Hansen having his RS pulled all the way to the end of last season and bitching about how Hawk pulled it for no reason. Well, what's different in this situation? We're four games in, it's doubtful he'll play this weekend so then we're half way into the season by time Sefo would play, what the hell is the point in burning his RS then? Set this team up for 2015 with Sefo running the offense as a third year sophomore. He will have a full understanding of the playbook then, have a couple years with Lindgren, have spent a few years in a college strength program, and will be used to the speed of the game as he will have played in 2014.

What about CU do you think matches "most cases?" This is a team with a proud history that has bottom-fed for years. If we can win now, we could recruit better QBs that currently on the team and a 5th year could be moot.

Putting Sefo into the mix at this point in time you send a message to the team that you are playing for the future not to win in the present. I don't think that MacIntyre wants to send that message to the team especially when he is trying to turn around the culture. Sefo is not ready (and Gerke is farther behind him). If a game situation comes along and MacIntrye wants to change things up at QB, Webb is a good option - when you are going 0-15 on 3rd downs those thoughts go through the coach's mind.

In fact, it sends the opposite message if you don't play your best player. And we have to trust the coaches who have put Sefo as the backup so far.

What about CU do you think matches "most cases?" This is a team with a proud history that has bottom-fed for years. If we can win now, we could recruit better QBs that currently on the team and a 5th year could be moot.

In fact, it sends the opposite message if you don't play your best player. And we have to trust the coaches who have put Sefo as the backup so far.
So you're 100% certain that Sefo provides us with an immediate upgrade over Wood right now?

Sefo is not the best player otherwise he would be in there. Sefo is the backup because we have no one else...Webb is actually the best option at backup.

So you're 100% certain that Sefo provides us with an immediate upgrade over Wood right now?

Sefo is not the best player otherwise he would be in there. Sefo is the backup because we have no one else...Webb is actually the best option at backup.

I said play the best player behind Wood if he can't perform for some reason, and right now the coaches have Sefo in that spot. I suggest you both argue with the depth chart, not me.

IMO, when I watched the spring practices & scrimmages, Webb seemed like a very pedestrian QB. Webb as a backup is fine with me, but if there's ever any garbage time Coach needs to share that playing time with both Webb & Sefo.

Back