What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Josh Huepel - HC University of Central Florida (UCF)

JMBuffs

Club Member
Club Member
(Mod updating original post with profile information)
os-sp-ucf-josh-heupel-0210

Organization: University of Central Florida

Current Position: Head Coach

Former Positions:
2004Oklahoma (GA)
2005Arizona (TE)
2006−2010Oklahoma (QB)
2011−2014Oklahoma (co-OC)
2015Utah State (AHC/OC/QB)
2016−2017Missouri (OC/QB)
2018−presentUCF
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Record and Awards:
Overall10–0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Notable Recruits:
Blake Bell - QB (4*)
Cody Thomas - QB (4*)
Landry Jones - QB (4*)
Justice Hansen - QB (4*)
John Michael McGee - OG (4*)
Trevor Knight - QB (4*)
Keith Nichol - QB (4*)
Lamar Harris - S (4*)

Coaching Notes:

----------------
A brilliant offensive mind and potential candidate for the Buffs HC or a plate cleaning scrap shoveling recipient of Frost's UCF team? (G**Damn he is a chubby SOB)

What he is doing this year is pretty phenomenal; similar to Lincoln Riley taking over OU, although it is hard to tell how much influence he has on this UCF team 1 year in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see similarities to Chris Petersen in Josh Heupel. Hawkings was given credit for the Boise State rise, but everyone pretty much realizes at this point, it was Chris Petersen. Heupel has an impressive resume and took over for Frost at UCF has nas done more than just keep it level, he has the needle moving upward. This would be a very good get for CU

I see similarities to Chris Petersen in Josh Heupel. Hawkings was given credit for the Boise State rise, but everyone pretty much realizes at this point, it was Chris Petersen. Heupel has an impressive resume and took over for Frost at UCF has nas done more than just keep it level, he has the needle moving upward. This would be a very good get for CU
Well, this is an interesting comparison. So, in this scenario we'd be Washington today, and nebraska would be CU, circa 2006?

Pass. He's done nothing as a head coach other than win with Scott Frost's players. Let's move on. If I have to hire an AAC coach right now, I'd rather have Luke Fickell.

We would be lucky to get him because I'm sure his sights are set higher. He isn't just someone who has taken Frost's players and gone with the status quo. His first year after Oklahoma was spent as Well's OC at Utah St. He then moved on to Missouri where he transformed their offense into a top ten unit. The year before he arrived Missouri ranked #124 in offense with 280 ypg. His first year Missouri was #13 in offense and averaged 500 ypg. Last year, they jumped to #7 and averaged 511 ypg. Oh yeah, just a reminder, Mizzou is in the SEC, those numbers weren't put up against crappy defenses.

Yes please, he would be my top choice.

Last edited:

I guess I do not understand the comparison here.

Pass. He's done nothing as a head coach other than win with Scott Frost's players. Let's move on. If I have to hire an AAC coach right now, I'd rather have Luke Fickell.

yeah, he has won with Frost's players, and O'learys players. Frost also won with Olearys players. Heupel has pulled off an interesting feat, keeping an undefeated team for another coach focused enough to do it again. All while losing some amazing senior leadership from the year before on defense, and not just Griffin.

I wouldn't think he'd bale on UCF this quickly, but if the money is right you never know.

I don't think he is going to be ready to leave this quick. UCF is a fine gig right now.
True, why would he take the step down? Largest university in FL, fan support is finally built up, recruiting base is your own back yard, poised to be the first school fought over in next wave of realignment. He's not leaving that gig for Boulder.

True, why would he take the step down? Largest university in FL, fan support is finally built up, recruiting base is your own back yard, poised to be the first school fought over in next wave of realignment. He's not leaving that gig for Boulder.
Husker Jesus took a step down to return to the Cobgobblers. Stranger things have happened.

feels like a lot of risk to me. total unknown imo. OC gig at Mizzou had Drew Lock and weak 2017 SEC East to get bowl eligible, inherited good QB, good team at UCF.

nice pedigree but pass.

What MB said-I'll pass on Heupel. Don't really see much here other than he knows how to win with somebody else's players.

Husker Jesus took a step down to return to the Cobgobblers. Stranger things have happened.
That would be equal to Josh going to OU not CU. FWIW SF had some moment of pause to leave UCF as he really knew it's a sleeping giant with a lot of advantages for a coach. At the end of the day "Mama Called" to paraphrase Kieth Jackson.

Back