What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Josh Scott's Future

IMO, XJ and Scott will both be 4 year players and have be very good college players, but neither will be a big time player in the NBA. Neither are even on NBA radar at this point.

Maybe so.

And can you imagine how good the CU frontcourt is going to be in 2015-16 if we have the following:

5 - Josh Scott (Sr)
4 - Wes Gordon (Jr) & Tory Miller (So)
3 - Xavier Johnson (Sr), Dustin Thomas (Jr) & George King (Jr)

Plus whomever we sign for the frontcourt in the 2015 class.

Then all those veteran guards to go with them -- Xavier Talton (Sr), Eli Stalzer (Sr), Jaron Hopkins (Jr), Tre Fletcher (Jr) & Dom Collier (So) along with whomever we sign for the backcourt in the 2015 class.

We're gonna be good for a while, folks.

Yes, if none bolt early for the NBA we are headed for 1 or 2 seed in the Big Dance in the next few years.

This might be little too close to concern-trolling on my part because I agree, we'll be good. But even with that depth chart I think there are some issues up in the air. First, with XJ and Thomas at the 3, I think we'll struggle at times to guard people. Maybe that kind of defensive weakness is just a fact of life post-Dre, but I thought heading into the season we'd make up for that more easily than the loss of rebounding.

Also, and this no knock on Dom, but I think there will be growing pains learning to live without the Mayor. The loss of his efficiency will be a blow to our half court o.
Maybe so.

And can you imagine how good the CU frontcourt is going to be in 2015-16 if we have the following:

5 - Josh Scott (Sr)

Then all those veteran guards to go with them -- Xavier Talton (Sr), Eli Stalzer (Sr), Jaron Hopkins (Jr), Tre Fletcher (Jr) & Dom Collier (So) along with whomever we sign for the backcourt in the 2015 class.

Yes, if none bolt early for the NBA we are headed for 1 or 2 seed in the Big Dance in the next few years.
Slow your roll. #3, maybe a #2 seed if the chips fall perfectly is more believable. Too much talent finds its way to the blue bloods, and that talent is already lined up in the recruiting wars. I have confidence that Tad will start snagging a couple of those guys, but those elite teams will still line up better athletes in their starting 5. And Calipari, Self, K, & Williams can coach teams to a #1 seed record.

That being said, I think the future of this team is such that we can certainly beat a #1 seed in the tourney. I'm starting to believe this year's team might just have it in them...

Maybe so.

5 - Josh Scott (Sr)

I hope that's true, but I doubt we have all those guys still here, especially the guards because right now Talton and Stalzer (especially Stalzer) are at the bottom of the depth chart. Stalzer is getting walkion minutes now. That should tell you everything.

Also, George King really needed a redshirt to create seperation from his class. When Jenkins left, that became impossible. He isn't getting many minutes right now, and he is still very raw player. I like his skillset. Unfortunately, he is playing on a really talented Buffs team, so minutes are really hard to come by this year.

I don't see that changing anytime soon. Talton might get more minutes next year till Dom takes over the PG spot. King's spot is overloaded with better, more well-rounded players.

I hope all those guys stay because Tad really hasn't had a experienced team of his players.

Also, concerning Scott's future, he is a good prospect but not a great one. Perfect player for college IMO which is great news for us. His NBA prospects are limited because he lacks athleticism/strength and pro guys will eat him alive in the post with his left-handed jump hook shot. If he adds that 12-15ft jumper on a consistent basis and another 15-20lbs, I think he can be at best a low 1st rounder in the 2015 draft. If he doesn't go in that draft, he will probably be at best a 2nd rounder in 2016 because seniors rarely go in the 1st round in today's NBA.

Actually, I think Gordon has a higher ceiling than Scott, much better athlete and much better defender.

Don't know why anyone would count out J-Hop. Tad loves his size, defense and athleticism. He's starting to learn the offensive flow, too.

Actually, I think Gordon has a higher ceiling than Scott, much better athlete and much better defender.

This is the issue right now.

Scott is a smart, tough, hardworking kid butat this point is limited physically. He doesn't jump well and isn't outstandingly quick. He is a very good college player made better by the fact that he will be a multi-year player you can build around.

He very successfully resculpted his body this year putting on 20lbs of quality muscle and I could see him adding more eventually getting to a size that would be very interesting to the NBA at a legitimate 6'10" and 260lbs. He also has to develop a more agressive streak showing he is willing to use his bulk and push and shove effectively since the NBA is a much more physical game than the college game. I also could see him adding a nice mid-range jump shot to add to his inside moves and his rebounding. Being an able and willing passer also helps.

With all of that he still wouldn't be an offensive force in the NBA. Unless a player is someone who can be guaranteed to put points on the board they are going to have to defend people and at this point I don't see a lot of NBA big men that Scott could effectively defend. Gordon with quicker feet, more jumping ability, and a willingness to muscle up has that advantage.

People mention Dre getting drafted in the first round despite offensive limitations and lack of a defined position. What gets ignored in this comparison is that despite his offensive limitations Dre can be a high level defender against a lot of the guys who are playing in the league.

Teams are willing to look at a guy and say yes he's an athlete and yes he can defend, we can develop skills. They are less likely to look positively at a guy and say he's got good skills but is limited in athleticism and ability to defend.

If Kevin Love can defend the 4 or 5 in the NBA, Scott can.

Scott needs bulk and to extend his shooting range. Don't sell him short, though. He's a good defender with incredible timing on shot blocks, quick hands, and - RIGHT NOW - a better back-to-the-basket game than most NBA bigs. He'll never be a guy that makes Sportscenter's top plays, but he's the type of guy who wins playoff games for you while the acrobats like the Clippers have fail when it counts and the games slow down to half court wars.

Don't know why anyone would count out J-Hop. Tad loves his size, defense and athleticism. He's starting to learn the offensive flow, too.

Especially considering he's started when Wes was out and is the clear 6th man. Hop is going to start after this season until he leaves this school.

Hopkins replaces Spencer

Collier replaces Ski

I don't see that happening. Collier is a true distributor, so you want the ball in his hands as much as possible. Plus he is already closer to Spencer's height than ski's height. If Hopkins can work on his shot during the off-season, he can be a pretty good 2, since he has a great ability to slash to the basket.

Talking about years....not responsibilities

In 2014 Hopkins starts in Spencer's spot...Collier off bench
In 2015 Collier starts in Ski's spot but takes over PG responsibilities....Hopkins move to off guard

Especially considering he's started when Wes was out and is the clear 6th man. Hop is going to start after this season until he leaves this school.

I definitely agree with you, but I did find it interesting Fletch was the first off the bench in the UGA game.

Talking about years....not responsibilities

In 2014 Hopkins starts in Spencer's spot...Collier off bench
In 2015 Collier starts in Ski's spot but takes over PG responsibilities....Hopkins move to off guard

The line-up possibilites are endless, in crunch time with Collier's ball handling abilities you've got to figure he'll be getting minutes late in the game next year if he doesn't start. CU's come a long way since the "shifts/line changes" Tad had to use the past couple of years to limit the exposure to his bench.

I definitely agree with you, but I did find it interesting Fletch was the first off the bench in the UGA game.

I heard Tad in an interview after the UGA game say that his substitution patterns are more art than science (paraphrasing). Basically, he said that a lot of times he goes with a gut feeling and that they have certain accepted rules that if a guy takes himself out, he can put himself back in. What I took from the interview was "Don't read too much into how I make substitutions".

I find it to be a good thing along with interesting. Love the competition for minutes. Love not needing good play from one specific bench player and having options. Love where this program is headed.

The line-up possibilites are endless, in crunch time with Collier's ball handling abilities you've got to figure he'll be getting minutes late in the game next year if he doesn't start. CU's come a long way since the "shifts/line changes" Tad had to use the past couple of years to limit the exposure to his bench.

Crunch time may also come down to FT shooting. J-Hop has to be a 75% or better guy to trust him as the primary ball handler in those situations. The main thing I'd like to see him work on in the offseason is a consistent routine and release on FTs. That will also serve him well on the wide open jumpers he'll always get because no one is stupid enough to try to body up with him on the perimeter.

Crunch time may also come down to FT shooting. J-Hop has to be a 75% or better guy to trust him as the primary ball handler in those situations. The main thing I'd like to see him work on in the offseason is a consistent routine and release on FTs. That will also serve him well on the wide open jumpers he'll always get because no one is stupid enough to try to body up with him on the perimeter.

I should be the FT coach for this team. I would do it for free if the team didn't shoot better than 74% for the year.

If Josh keeps improving and putting up double doubles in a tough conference, I am sticking with the original post in this thread where I suggested he should have a shot go to the NBA next year. That is 5 double doubles in a row-something Dre never did in his career (hard to believe, I know).

He seems to get better almost every game-perhaps b/c he is cerebral and is taking it all in. Tad called him out yesterday saying he has matured a lot and is taking responsibility for his play (good and bad). He puts on more weight this off-season and keeps improving I'd be shocked if he is not at least a 2nd rounder next year.

If Josh keeps improving and putting up double doubles in a tough conference, I am sticking with the original post in this thread where I suggested he should have a shot go to the NBA next year. That is 5 double doubles in a row-something Dre never did in his career (hard to believe, I know).

He seems to get better almost every game-perhaps b/c he is cerebral and is taking it all in. Tad called him out yesterday saying he has matured a lot and is taking responsibility for his play (good and bad). He puts on more weight this off-season and keeps improving I'd be shocked if he is not at least a 2nd rounder next year.
Yea he shouldn't leave if he is a second rounder...

As much as I like Josh, I think it's a mistake to use a statistical comparison to evaluate his NBA prospects. The NBA craves athleticism and upside above all else and Josh just isn't the type to go in and crush the individual workouts. I think he he has an outside shot to go after three years but in all likelihood will be a four year player who gets drafted in the back half of round 1, then becomes one of the steals of the draft for his well-rounded offensive game.

As much as I like Josh, I think it's a mistake to use a statistical comparison to evaluate his NBA prospects. The NBA craves athleticism and upside above all else and Josh just isn't the type to go in and crush the individual workouts. I think he he has an outside shot to go after three years but in all likelihood will be a four year player who gets drafted in the back half of round 1, then becomes one of the steals of the draft for his well-rounded offensive game.

Totally agree with this - as much as I love stats (and Josh) you can't make a statistical comparison for athleticism.

Back