What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Juco Recruiting PAC 12

BlackNGold

Club Member
I thought one advantage of going to the PAC 12 was a better academic fit and we would be on a more level playing field for recruiting because institutions had similar academic standards. I took a quick gander at PAC12 recruiting and see that is not the case with several of the schools - Arizona(5), Arizona State(6), Utah (6), OSU (4), & WSU(4) - (JUCO numbers in parentheses). Once again CU appears to be at a distinct disadvantage in this area.

I really don't want to rehash for the 500th time why it is so hard to bring JUCOs into CU. But it is a way to bring talent into the program quickly while giving younger players time to develop- a lot of JUCO players are ready to compete right and don't need that year or two to be ready (they already have taken that time).

Now not all JUCO players went that route because of non-qualifying out of HS - Arizona signed Jesse Scroggins out of JUCO (a 4 star QB) who originally went to USC.

Of course KU from the Big 12 takes the cake with 16 JUCOs. But I think Weiss is being smart - he is in a similar situation to CU in regards to talent level. So he is going to try to fix that in a hurry. Do not know if this will work for him but at least he is addressing the issue.

I do not know what the answer is for CU - but it seems like we should be able to bring in 2 or 3 in a normal year. Both Brad Bedell and Mick Moschetti were JUCOs and they turned out pretty good for CU. With this new recruiting positions at CU someone should spend some time looking at JUCOs with potential to get into CU.

MODs if this does not belong in the recruiting forum - please move it.

Not sure where you got the idea that PAC12 schools don't take Jucos.

Arizona and California have big Juco systems as part of their education system and they have automatic transfer programs that can assure a Juco gets into a state school if followed to the T.

Cal, UCLA, Stanford and UW tend to be a little more elite academically and have some of the issues CU has.
USC can do whatever they want to, and they've not tended to take Juco's just because it takes up a spot of a 5-star recruit that they can develop.
ASU, OSU, WSU and Utah always relied on a lot of Juco's. Utah is like a mini-KSU.

Maybe it's just me, but didn't we used to usually get a couple of JUCOs per class? It seems like Hawk and then Embree started to just not bother with it.

Arizona and California have big Juco systems as part of their education system and they have automatic transfer programs that can assure a Juco gets into a state school if followed to the T.

Cal, UCLA, Stanford and UW tend to be a little more elite academically and have some of the issues CU has.
USC can do whatever they want to, and they've not tended to take Juco's just because it takes up a spot of a 5-star recruit that they can develop.
ASU, OSU, WSU and Utah always relied on a lot of Juco's. Utah is like a mini-KSU.
I'd say Cal, Stanford and UCLA are top tier academic PAC-12 schools. Colorado and UW are second tier. The rest are third tier...IMO. ASU maybe fourth tier :lol:

Anyway, don't know if MikeMac built SJSU using JUCOs. However he did it there is how he'll do it here...he's gonna follow the same 'template'.

His QB was a juco, but he was also a qualifier who left Nevada. I'm pretty sure he used Juco's liberally (while being too lazy to go look at the roster). SJSU is big on Juco's throughout the student population.

I'd say Cal, Stanford and UCLA are top tier academic PAC-12 schools. Colorado and UW are second tier. The rest are third tier...IMO. ASU maybe fourth tier :lol:

Anyway, don't know if MikeMac built SJSU using JUCOs. However he did it there is how he'll do it here...he's gonna follow the same 'template'.

Wouldn't argue with that if you want to seperate those first 5 into tiers. Arizona and Oregon are a step up and I'd put them with CU.

The California schools are not the ones taking the JUCOs....So the California automatic transfer thing does not really figure into it. Arizona is taking JUCOs from Georgia.

A lot of posters claimed that in the PAC 12 the academic requirements were more inline with CUs so we would not be at a disadvantage...obviously a red herring argument.

All I am really saying is we are short on talent and at a considerable disadvantage in getting help quickly.

MM signed 15 in 3 years...make your own judgement.

So.. 1 more than I said. And the last couple of years they have had way less including 0 this year. I didn't say that Mac didn't take them and plug holes with them, but I'm not sure I'd call 15 in 3 years heavily relying upon them.

Anyways, I think your point is a good one and we probably would be able to get out of his hole we're in faster if we could plug some holes with JUCOs. Unfortunately, that didn't seem to be a priority of the previous staff. Like you said, not all JUCOs are awful students that can't get into CU. We just have to find the right ones. Fales was a qualifier and probably would've got in fine, same with Scroggins, but we didn't go after them.

I think one of the Seau's wants to come here as a JUCO. I think he is a tweener DE/LB if I remember correctly. Hopefully he can come next season and provide some depth at LB.

OL is going to be tough. We have a bunch of kids coming in this year. Maybe room for one Juco OL. Losing Bak. really hurts our OL.

Back