What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Just a few little things - Fun With Statistics

• Horn grad living in CO and loving CO.
  • CU is my #2 team and I don't have a number three.
  • Family ties to CU.
  • Long history with CO.
  • I go to a lot of games in Boulder and even wear my Buff gear.
  • My kids will likely go to CU when the day comes.

I can tell by your posts that it is a distant second.

I agree with your other post in this thread, but this post is simply not true IMO. DiLallo had the most punts of any punter in the Big 12 this season and still finished dead last in average, by nearly a yard too.

I look at DiLallo over his entire career at CU. Do you realize as a Freshman he averaged almost 44 yards per kick, 5 to 6 yards more than this year. He was first team Freshman All-American his first year.

You have to wonder why a guy would have that type of drop off in performance over his career. If it was only him I would not think much of it but it is a lot of players.

I look at DiLallo over his entire career at CU. Do you realize as a Freshman he averaged almost 44 yards per kick, 5 to 6 yards more than this year. He was first team Freshman All-American his first year.

You have to wonder why a guy would have that type of drop off in performance over his career. If it was only him I would not think much of it but it is a lot of players.

There is no argument that DiLallo got steadily worse as his career went on. I think a lot of it is coaching. Riddle has been a disaster as special teams coach. I think everything involving punting this season was bad. The punter, our punt coverage, and the punt return unit.

I think the biggest play of the year was the McKnight fumble vs. CSU, that should have been a 15 yd penalty. I really think that we win that game (and a few more this season) if that play is called correctly, and we don't have that "terrified puppy" mentality that we had going into Toledo that really carried over for several games. Our very decent and capable talent could not overcome our substandard coaching except for spurts during the Kansas and A & M games.

As noted, special teams killed us this year, and we get a new punter and possibly a new kicker to help. The Texas, Okie State, and Nebraska games (and arguably the West Virginia and Toledo games) were lost due to special teams blunders. It seemed like one mistake would snowball into several because of our fragile team ego. The team mentality needs to change from "how confident can I be in myself" to "how hard can I knock this guy's head off?"

Last edited:
The problem with the OP is that we are talking about a lot of teams we should be dominating. And it's the coaching that is at fault. Missing out on a few plays here and there is just a losing explanation. Good luck with that, Hawkins.

Pitman - one contributing factor.

Pitman - one contributing factor.

I was thinking that but did not put it in my post because I don't know how much he works with the kickers. But there seems to be a big emphasis on strength with out the accompanying explosion, quickness, and flexibility on this team overall....A guy like Ryan Miller in his 3rd year in the program should just be a beast and we should be talking about him entering the Draft.

Pitman treats all positions exactly the same, and they are not the same, and should not have the same workout. He also treats all positions just like he would if they were Olympic weightlifters, not football players. We are losing speed every year.

if you are wondering, I got that from a player this past summer, and I'm repeating it because it made sense to me.

and just a few years ago there was bitching about the team not being strong enough. only something like 4 players could bench or clean 300 lbs but after pittman got here everyone was giddy that that number had increased to like 30 or something. and it grew after that.

seriously. i remember this.

damn.... did this staff not do one thing right?

dont get me wrong guys. i understand what you are talking about above and i agree. gonna need different workouts for the ol men than your going to need for a place kicker.

its just one thing after another when it comes to the S&C coach to me. GB's S&C coach was weak and led to knee injuries. i remember that too.

not pissed at the posters above. GB's guys were what they were.... i was thinking that hawk had at least one area right. his S&C coach. keeping the guys in shape with the wheel barrels and junk. now he is a total dip**** too? :cry:

its just one thing after another when it comes to the S&C coach to me. GB's S&C coach was weak and led to knee injuries. i remember that too.

not pissed at the posters above. GB's guys were what they were.... i was thinking that hawk had at least one area right. his S&C coach. keeping the guys in shape with the wheel barrels and junk. now he is a total dip**** too? :cry:

I've posted this before, but look at the stress on these guy's knees when they lift. Scares the carp out of me.

[video=youtube;ME4w3g_wUQk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME4w3g_wUQk[/video]

I've posted this before, but look at the stress on these guy's knees when they lift. Scares the carp out of me.

YouTube- Colorado Football Strength & Conditioning

ok. i remember seeing that before and it was supposed to be a good thing. i remember the years before DH got here and the talk about the amount of knee injuries was huge. i dont remember that being a problem with DH's teams.

maybe i am remembering things wrong here but, i sure seem to remember a huge amount of knee injuries before pittman got here.

again, im not trying to start an argument nor say one way is right/wrong. im not a S&C expert. im just going on what i remember and it would be nice if this **** could get worked out. :huh:

I don't know what is right or wrong either ... just a guy told me that he thought the more they worked out, the bigger and slower they got, and that there were a lot of guys with knee injuries. I have never watched anyone work out at Dal Ward and have no experience that would make me an expert.

Bottom line: I just want the buffs to get better and win. I'm looking at anything that might help them reach that goal.

I don't know what is right or wrong either ... just a guy told me that he thought the more they worked out, the bigger and slower they got, and that there were a lot of guys with knee injuries. I have never watched anyone work out at Dal Ward and have no experience that would make me an expert.

Bottom line: I just want the buffs to get better and win. I'm looking at anything that might help them reach that goal.

yup. im with ya buddy. wish i knew the answer.

and the thing is... one outside S&C "expert" will say that pittmans way is all good, another will say that GB's guy has it right. and another will say they are both wrong. and at the end of the day..... im still not going to know who is right. :huh:

DiLallo was known as a gym rat - affectionately. Spent an inordinate amount of time in there working out on his own time. Whatever it did for him, it didn't improve his stats.

That we can agree on.

DiLallo was known as a gym rat - affectionately. Spent an inordinate amount of time in there working out on his own time. Whatever it did for him, it didn't improve his stats.

That we can agree on.

the kid has the leg. there is no doubt on that. the S&C didnt hurt his length. well, not as far as i could tell.

he has one of two problems or both. form or mental toughness. if its the latter the form will never come. if its the former.... he may have a chance at correcting his form. if its both, he needs....

Frazier-Niles-Crane.jpg

I will say this about Pitman - we lost a lot of games late in Hawkins' first year and Pitmann got them in shape so that didn't happen as much in year 2. Small pickings for compliments to the staff...

With decent punting and field goal kicking, the Buffs would have won at least two, maybe more three games. They lost the field position battle in virtually every game -- the Nebraska game was particularly bad due to the excellent job done by the NU punter. Our offense just isn't good enough to be starting deep inside the 20 series after series.

With the field goal kicking, the points left on the table are just a small part of the problem. It's really momentum crushing to mount a good drive or get a turnover and turn it into nothing, over and over again. There's no doubt in my mind that the Buffs win at WVU this year if Goodman makes two of three that night. Same with NU. The six points he flushed down the toilet weren't enough to win, but the momentum swing from those scores would have propelled the Buffs to victory IMO. I'm not sure what the story is with Goodman. I'm not sure you can blame coaching for a kid who has the leg but who can't get it done with the pressure on. (I wonder if anyone keeps stats on hit uprights. Goodman must own that record. It's hard to believe how many times he's done that.)

I think the biggest play of the year was the McKnight fumble vs. CSU, that should have been a 15 yd penalty. I really think that we win that game (and a few more this season) if that play is called correctly, and we don't have that "terrified puppy" mentality that we had going into Toledo that really carried over for several games. Our very decent and capable talent could not overcome our substandard coaching except for spurts during the Kansas and A & M games.

As noted, special teams killed us this year, and we get a new punter and possibly a new kicker to help. The Texas, Okie State, and Nebraska games (and arguably the West Virginia and Toledo games) were lost due to special teams blunders. It seemed like one mistake would snowball into several because of our fragile team ego. The team mentality needs to change from "how confident can I be in myself" to "how hard can I knock this guy's head off?"

Clearly that mentality worked for CSU in their first game.:sad1:

I wonder if anyone keeps stats on hit uprights. Goodman must own that record.

Here you go:

2009 10 field goals made for 18 attempts
2008 5 for 14 field goals
Career Total 08-09 (through NU game) = 15 fgs for 32 attempts

2009 FG good: 54, 32, 20, 39, 45, 39, 48, 37, 37, 22
(one GOOD kick hit upright)

2008 FG good: 23, 32, 25, 31, 37
(two GOOD kicks hit uprights)

2009 FG misses:
47 (wide right), 40 (wide left), 45 (hit left upright), 57 (wide left), 42 (wide right), 50 (hit right upright), 52 missed (wide left), 37 (wide left.)

2008 FG misses: 35 (wide left), 27 (wide left), 36 (wide right), 43 (left upright), 44 (wide right) , 48 (blocked), 47 (wide right), 46 (hit upright), 50 (left upright)

2009 PATs total (through OSU game): 25 of 26
(one XP attempt hit upright vs KSU ‘09)

2008 PAT total: 30-31 (one blocked)
Total 08-09 (through OSU game) = 55 XPs for 57 attempts

Here you go:

2009 10 field goals made for 18 attempts
2008 5 for 14 field goals
Career Total 08-09 (through NU game) = 15 fgs for 32 attempts

2009 FG good: 54, 32, 20, 39, 45, 39, 48, 37, 37, 22
(one GOOD kick hit upright)

2008 FG good: 23, 32, 25, 31, 37
(two GOOD kicks hit uprights)

2009 FG misses:
47 (wide right), 40 (wide left), 45 (hit left upright), 57 (wide left), 42 (wide right), 50 (hit right upright), 52 missed (wide left), 37 (wide left.)

2008 FG misses: 35 (wide left), 27 (wide left), 36 (wide right), 43 (left upright), 44 (wide right) , 48 (blocked), 47 (wide right), 46 (hit upright), 50 (left upright)

2009 PATs total (through OSU game): 25 of 26
(one XP attempt hit upright vs KSU ‘09)

2008 PAT total: 30-31 (one blocked)
Total 08-09 (through OSU game) = 55 XPs for 57 attempts

That is outstanding work, AJ.

So Goodman hit the upright 9 out of 32 times? That's 28% of the time. Wow.

I think so, but it's 8 out of 32 FG attempts.
One upright hit (that missed) was an XP attempt against KSU.

Of the 8 upright hits on FG attempts, three were good. So five upright missed FGS and 1 XP.
(over two seasons.)

I should go look up Wyoming statistics next time I'm bored and see if his magnetic attraction to uprights started there.

and just a few years ago there was bitching about the team not being strong enough. only something like 4 players could bench or clean 300 lbs but after pittman got here everyone was giddy that that number had increased to like 30 or something. and it grew after that.

seriously. i remember this.

damn.... did this staff not do one thing right?

dont get me wrong guys. i understand what you are talking about above and i agree. gonna need different workouts for the ol men than your going to need for a place kicker.

Well, I will disagree with you. You bought into the Koolaid that big lifting numbers translate into power movement...does not work that way. Finneagan was not trying to have the players win a weight lifting competition but be able to be able to perform on the field. The player can be incredibly strong but lack the ability to contract his muscles quickly to obtain the power he needs in his sport.

I do not remember a bunch of knee injuries under Barnett, seems the knee injuries have been greater lately.

I will tell you this strength and conditioning coach is not very good. There I have said it.

Well, I will disagree with you. You bought into the Koolaid that big lifting numbers translate into power movement...does not work that way. Finneagan was not trying to have the players win a weight lifting competition but be able to be able to perform on the field. The player can be incredibly strong but lack the ability to contract his muscles quickly to obtain the power he needs in his sport.

I do not remember a bunch of knee injuries under Barnett, seems the knee injuries have been greater lately.

I will tell you this strength and conditioning coach is not very good. There I have said it.

Under Barnett it was shoulder injuries. Under Hawkins it has been both shoulder (see the # of kids who had shoulder injuries and surgery last off season: Polk, Josh Smith, Head, Mahnke..just off the top of my head) and knee injuries.

My issues with Pittman, like it was posted above is that he has the same olympic lift routine for OL as he does for DBs and that should not be the case...two entirely different positions and two entirely different skill sets.

From what I've read and from my experience, I attribute the rash of knee injuries under pittman (aside from football just being a contact sport) to the focus his routines have on building strength in the quads and not giving an equal amount of attention to the hamstrings. These are the two closest muscles to the knee and when the muscles in the front of the thigh are significantly stronger than the muscles in the back of the thigh (the hamstrings) you have an imbalance. If your hamstrings are weak, your quads have to work harder which can lead to knee ligament tears.....I agree that Pittman is just not very good.....

Back