What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Just a thought

If we are going to primarily run 2 back sets, we probably usually have only 2 WR and a TE on the field

I would hope that we hang our hat on the running game, or this could be a long season.

The running game needs to compliment the passing game. If there's no risk of hitting a shot downfield, you end up getting 9 guys in the box to shut down the running game. Even with a massive and talented OL, 5 guys can't effectively block 9. Throw a TE and FB in there and it's still 7 on 9, and those numbers don't add up.

We need to have the ability to pass the ball for 250 +/- a game. That will put a lot of pressure on guys like Simmons (Oh, please Dear Lord let Mr. Simmons qualify) and Simas to perform. AND it puts a lot of pressure on Cody to get them the ball.

If a speed guy is keeping both safeties back, not only does that help the running game but it opens up those nice intermediate routes for guys like McKnight (or Simas) and Geer.

So why wasn't CU more effective with Smith in the lineup?

I see your point, in theory, but the fact remains: speed, in and of itself, ain't the answer.

I see your point, in theory, but the fact remains: speed, in and of itself, ain't the answer.

speed that can run a correct route and catch a ball could be an answer.

Okay. lets try one more time. In the context of the scheme we are actually going to run next year, which is a pro-style offense and not the spread, we need at least one receiver on the field who can stretch the field or the other team is going to stack the line and stuff the run and destroy our qb. How effective we were or weren't last year running a completely different offense (and with a patchwork o-line)is irrelevant(although I could argue that without Smith we would have been even worse). With the offense we are going to run next year, the underneath receivers are going to need a speed guy to clear space for them, no matter how well they run routes. That's why we need Simmons to qualify, and that's why we were speculating about Moten.
To repeat: to run the scheme we are actually running next year, we need the o-line to block, playmakers to make the defense account for them, and complimentary guys to take advantage of the holes the playmakers force the defense to give up. McKnight is a great guy, and an excellent receiver, but he is a complimentary player, not a game-breaker.

Okay. lets try one more time. In the context of the scheme we are actually going to run next year, which is a pro-style offense and not the spread, we need at least one receiver on the field who can stretch the field or the other team is going to stack the line and stuff the run and destroy our qb. How effective we were or weren't last year running a completely different offense (and with a patchwork o-line)is irrelevant(although I could argue that without Smith we would have been even worse). With the offense we are going to run next year, the underneath receivers are going to need a speed guy to clear space for them, no matter how well they run routes. That's why we need Simmons to qualify, and that's why we were speculating about Moten.
To repeat: to run the scheme we are actually running next year, we need the o-line to block, playmakers to make the defense account for them, and complimentary guys to take advantage of the holes the playmakers force the defense to give up. McKnight is a great guy, and an excellent receiver, but he is a complimentary player, not a game-breaker.

You've bored me into submission. I nominate you to be OC when Kiesau leaves to take a job at Oregon after next season.

:blah:

To repeat: to run the scheme we are actually running next year, we need the o-line to block, playmakers to make the defense account for them, and complimentary guys to take advantage of the holes the playmakers force the defense to give up.

Congratulations. You just described every offensive scheme from peewee football to the pros. You truly are a staggering intellect.

Congratulations. You just described every offensive scheme from peewee football to the pros. You truly are a staggering intellect.

Rush for over 300 yards/game. Pass for another 200. Do not turn the ball over. Do not give up sacks. Score more points than the other team. Win games.

Rush for over 300 yards/game. Pass for another 200. Do not turn the ball over. Do not give up sacks. Score more points than the other team. Win games.

And, we can't expect to win if we trade points with the other team and/or don't stop them on defense...:lol:

And, we can't expect to win if we trade points with the other team and/or don't stop them on defense...:lol:

Ultimately, it's the team that puts up the most points by the end of the game that ends up winning.:lol:

you wanna go into the halftime with a lead, and ya know, hopefully come out with the lead too. - denny green.

"To repeat: to run the scheme we are actually running next year, we need the o-line to block, playmakers to make the defense account for them, and complimentary guys to take advantage of the holes the playmakers force the defense to give up. McKnight is a great guy, and an excellent receiver, but he is a complimentary player, not a game-breaker. "

Why run a scheme that requires so much of the players....why can't we run a scheme that just coaches the players up and they win...what scheme is that

I'm still having a hard time seeing how guys giving each other compliments is going to help anything. :smile2:

You truly are a staggering intellect.

Wait till I get Started!!!

Where was I?

Australia.

Oh, yes.

princess-bride.jpg

Why run a scheme that requires so much of the players....why can't we run a scheme that just coaches the players up and they win...what scheme is that

1. Recruit players
2. Coach players up
3. Something
4. Win games

It really isn't all that complicated.... :smile2:

1. Recruit players
2. Coach players up
3. Something
4. Win games

It really isn't all that complicated.... :smile2:

Gnomes are finally diversifying into football.

It's a good thing because my underwear supply was running low this morning.

With no OL to speak of last year, the QBs had every little time to get the ball off to someone running deep. Without time for that play to develop, a WR cannot get much seperation. The OL injuries really hurt the offense. Not their fault-- **** happens sometimes.

I wonder if Emory Blake, Diante Jackson or Bryce McNeal are having some second thoughts? Those guys would have been competing for a starting job as a freshman.

Another thought: perhaps Josh Moten will move to WR right away? I know he wants a decent shot at QB, and he certainly deserves it from what I saw, but.....

Just for fun I found this thread and saw that Emory Blake by far had the best career of these guys. Emory won the MNC with Auburn in 2010 hauling in 8 TD passes. He finished his career with 16 TD catches. http://www.ralphiereport.com/2009/1/13/719728/is-hawkins-doing-it-again

Bryce McNeal hasn't turned out to be anything yet. He got passed up on the depth chart at Clemson and is now transferring to Louisville.
http://www.tigernet.com/view/clemson_update.do?id=6606

Diante Jackson failed out of Oregon and I haven't seen anything saying he's even playing football.

Back