What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ken Niumatalolo- Discuss

A lot of careers have been bet on the wrong side of Paterno dying off. Point in case, that guy at Syracuse was the hot candidate a couple years back and was rumored to be holding out for PSU. Now I can't even remember his name.

Paul Pasquialoni(might have mispelled it)

Yeah he did have success at Syracuse, who were once a proud program.

Exactly.

I just dont see Golden leaving the area for Colorado when he has no recruiting ties in the West, and has no history of being a recruiter, even at UVA.

If Colorado wants him and offers him the money to come here, he will leave. But he shouldn't be high on our list.

He was the Penn State recruiting coordinator for a year. I don't know what kind of reputation he has as a recruiter, but I doubt Joe Pa would give him that position if he didn't know what he was doing.

What impressed me most about him is his ability to turn around Temple. Everyone was all over Turner Gill last year, this year he's looking like Gill but better. Temple is like 8-2 or something right now, that's a heck of a job. Recruiting is certainly a concern with him, but I doubt he has any dislike for it or something. He probably has an eye for under the radar talent after recruiting at Temple too.

I'm with you on Golden, I think he'd be a great hire. To me, he is this years Turner Gill. He has taken a complete garbage program and turned it around.
I dont see that, turning around Temple has been great but Turner Gill had much more proven credentials winning 3 NC's at Nebraska, coaching some great QB's including Eric Ouch, and also handling their recruiting for several years. The fact he didn't get a HC job sooner was always weird, but I guess he held out for the Nebraska job and then didn't get it twice.

Golden's only track record has been as a DC for some talented Virginia defenses several years ago. Gill has a much more proven track record.

He was the Penn State recruiting coordinator for a year. I don't know what kind of reputation he has as a recruiter, but I doubt Joe Pa would give him that position if he didn't know what he was doing.
Sure.
But if it weren't for London at UVA, Golden wouldn't have had any talent to work with. Im not saying Golden can't recruit but he just doesn't have a track record of bringing in the talent and developing it as a position coach

He had a good defense there several years ago, but London brought the talent in.

What impressed me most about him is his ability to turn around Temple. Everyone was all over Turner Gill last year, this year he's looking like Gill but better. Temple is like 8-2 or something right now, that's a heck of a job. Recruiting is certainly a concern with him, but I doubt he has any dislike for it or something. He probably has an eye for under the radar talent after recruiting at Temple too.
Mainly what Golden has done at Temple is recruit the under the radar guys, he can't recruit the 4* players or 5* players in the area. But fighting for under the radar recruits at Temple with FCS schools, and typically being the only D1 offer for guys in the mid-atlantic area is entirely different from targeting under the radar talent in Texas while competing with MWC/Wac/C-USA schools.

Out there you will be extremely lucky to find an under the radar guy with talent & a high potential that nobody else in the area knows about.

I dont see that, turning around Temple has been great but Turner Gill had much more proven credentials winning 3 NC's at Nebraska, coaching some great QB's including Eric Ouch, and also handling their recruiting for several years. The fact he didn't get a HC job sooner was always weird, but I guess he held out for the Nebraska job and then didn't get it twice.

Golden's only track record has been as a DC for some talented Virginia defenses several years ago. Gill has a much more proven track record.

I guess I don't put as much stock into being the QB coach for an option team as you do. I do think Gill could be quite the recruiter, more so than Golden, but I think they're both very similar. The fact that Buffalo is doing so poorly this season just sours me on him. If we were to fast forward a year and Golden went from 8-2 in his 4th year to 3-7 I'd cool on him too. Golden deserves his share of credit for those Virginia defenses too, they were pretty bad when he got there and he made them pretty damn good. Since he has left they have just fell apart to the point they are at now.

I just think they're both very similar. Both played for big times programs, have coached at big programs, are now head coaches at awful football programs and both have turned them around. Gill gets the nod as far as recruiting goes, but I give Golden the nod for coaching because I just prefer defensive minded head coaches. What kind of offense does Gill even run at Buffalo? I saw one of their games recently and it looked like a pro style offense, or maybe a variation of the spread, definitely not the option.

Sure.
But if it weren't for London at UVA, Golden wouldn't have had any talent to work with. Im not saying Golden can't recruit but he just doesn't have a track record of bringing in the talent and developing it as a position coach

He had a good defense there several years ago, but London brought the talent in.

Mainly what Golden has done at Temple is recruit the under the radar guys, he can't recruit the 4* players or 5* players in the area. But fighting for under the radar recruits at Temple with FCS schools, and typically being the only D1 offer for guys in the mid-atlantic area is entirely different from targeting under the radar talent in Texas while competing with MWC/Wac/C-USA schools.

Out there you will be extremely lucky to find an under the radar guy with talent & a high potential that nobody else in the area knows about.

Well it sounds like you know a lot more about Golden than I do. I don't even know who this London is you speak of. I fail to see how what Golden recruits at Temple is any different than whatever Gill is doing recruiting at Buffalo though? I mean certainly he has to recruit against programs that aren't just FCS schools? I think when you recruit for a place like Buffalo or Temple, you have to find those under the radar types, no matter who else is recruiting them. I have a hard time believing that some other MAC schools or even Big East schools don't pop up in their recruiting.

EDIT: Found the London guy. Looks like I was wrong that Virginia had just gotten worse after Golden. This guys' resume is actually pretty impressive. God I'd make a bad AD for saying this, maybe we should give this guy a look. NFL, BCS and FCS experience. He won a national championship for Richmond last year in fact.

Maybe I'm going insane because I think just about every coach looks like a good hire, lol.

Last edited:
I guess I don't put as much stock into being the QB coach for an option team as you do. I do think Gill could be quite the recruiter, more so than Golden, but I think they're both very similar. The fact that Buffalo is doing so poorly this season just sours me on him. If we were to fast forward a year and Golden went from 8-2 in his 4th year to 3-7 I'd cool on him too. Golden deserves his share of credit for those Virginia defenses too, they were pretty bad when he got there and he made them pretty damn good. Since he has left they have just fell apart to the point they are at now.
Golden leaving played a factor also, they still have no clue on defense what to do.
London leaving is the main reason why UVA fell apart, as an unfortunate follower of the Wahoos they were unable to replace London once he left.

Their recruiting fell apart, and all control of the team was lost by Groh as the guys recruited either ended up dismissed or didn't do a thing at UVA before transferring.

I just think they're both very similar. Both played for big times programs, have coached at big programs, are now head coaches at awful football programs and both have turned them around. Gill gets the nod as far as recruiting goes, but I give Golden the nod for coaching because I just prefer defensive minded head coaches. What kind of offense does Gill even run at Buffalo? I saw one of their games recently and it looked like a pro style offense, or maybe a variation of the spread, definitely not the option.
Fair enough. I'd take Gill over Golden for his work at Nebraska in regards to that offensive juggernaut for years, I actually kinda miss when our game against Nebraska was guranteed to have fireworks and be great to watch.

Yeah Bradley was the guy I was thinking of. Isn't he sort of an unofficial successor to Paterno?

Looks like London is a favorite for the Virginia job soon to be open.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/290246-virginias-next-football-coach/page/9

For a successor, that all depends on who you ask. Each of the following have support within the University:

Golden
Hall
Bradley
Vanderlinden

The PSU president Spanier certainly will have alot to say to the PSU AD about who is hired. Joe could outlive the AD and the choice of the next coach could change.

There really is NO named successor, but several candidates who KNOW they have support from some people who have influence....

It wil be kind of interesting to see who is named and how much a$s kissing is done to get it...

Hmm interesting, I was under the impression he was pretty much the guy. Guess not.

Do they have any 30 year old guitar playing QB/WR coaches laying around that they just hired a year ago to give the job to? :bang:

Well it sounds like you know a lot more about Golden than I do. I don't even know who this London is you speak of. I fail to see how what Golden recruits at Temple is any different than whatever Gill is doing recruiting at Buffalo though? I mean certainly he has to recruit against programs that aren't just FCS schools? I think when you recruit for a place like Buffalo or Temple, you have to find those under the radar types, no matter who else is recruiting them. I have a hard time believing that some other MAC schools or even Big East schools don't pop up in their recruiting.
Actually recruiting is pretty bad in the mid atlantic area, thats a reason why a lot of guys end up at FCS schools. Temple swoops in on guys who are being overlooked, offers them their only FBS scholarship and brings them in.

Just look at Bernard Pierce who had no FBS offers, and is now the leading rusher in the country with NFL potential next year.

But at Colorado there are just so many schools in the area that we recruit that its very hard to sell an under the radar guy on coming to Colorado when you have non BCS schools like Houston and TCU with winning records in recent years fighting to land a guy. The talent level in the Big 12 is also much higher, if we start fighting for too many Wac/MWC guys we'll end up like Kansas State.

EDIT: Found the London guy. Looks like I was wrong that Virginia had just gotten worse after Golden. This guys' resume is actually pretty impressive. God I'd make a bad AD for saying this, maybe we should give this guy a look. NFL, BCS and FCS experience. He won a national championship for Richmond last year in fact.
London was a big time recruiter at UVA and a player coach, most of the guys there responded to London over Groh due to London's ability to communicate with his players. I dont see any problem in giving London a look other than the fact UVA will be raising up his price, from what I've seen he could be successful recruiting anywhere once he gets his connections in the area.

Maybe I'm going insane because I think just about every coach looks like a good hire, lol.
I've probably suggested 20+ hires already, I just want the Hawk era to end and we get someone new into this program and bring it new life.

You're not alone :lol:

Good, I thought I had maybe lost all perception of reality. I guess I haven't hit that point until I look at someone like Karl Dorrell and, "well maybe he's not so bad", comes to mind.

I really hate to admit it, but I think London might be one of my new favorites. Maybe I'm overrating the accomplishment of winning a D2 national championship, though.

Back