What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Kickoff Luncheon

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Not a lot to report from today, since it's mostly a "ra ra" event for boosters who don't necessarily follow the program as closely as we idots do on a daily basis.

- Embree mentioned that we'll see on Saturday why practices have been closed (that has me very curious)
- All the linemen looked a lot bigger through the legs and upper body without having guts
- Webb is pretty stacked for a QB. Looks like he can take a hit and deliver one
- Lots of talk about the importance of the opener, setting the tone for the season, etc. --- but I don't think CSU was mentioned a single time
- Hagan got one of the players (forgetting who now) to say, "Bieniemy's so short when he sits on a curb he can swing his legs"
- Everybody from the team or staff we talked to immediately brought up Tupou -- and that dude looked huge
- As always, you can tell whenever a player talks about Cabral that there is genuine love for the man (Washington made a bit of fun of Coach C for being completely clueless about technology and someone having to set up everything for him ahead of meetings)
- Embree stressed bowl game for this year and how important it will be for the fans to be loud in order to give them an edge, specifically mentioning how the worst performance of last year at home vs Oregon actually impressed recruits because of how into it the fans were despite what was happening on the field
- I came home a hero with a mini stuffed animal buffalo for my boy (and I think it satisfied Snow's Xmas shopping if he's somehow boyfriended for the holiday season)

I'm VERY excited for Saturday and desperately hoping that we're considerably better than last year.

i sure hope we're pointed in the right direction again. i just want to believe that we are out of the death spiral.

I assume nothing mentioned re: facility improvements ......

wonder what's up HCJE sleeve re: reason practices being closed

Since when is, "Bieniemy's so short when he sits on a curb he can swing his legs" not a lot to report?

How was the fan response? Any feel for whether the general response was people are buying in and drinking Kool-aid, or just sitting back and waiting to see what will happen over the season?

Not a lot to report from today, since it's mostly a "ra ra" event for boosters who don't necessarily follow the program as closely as we idots do on a daily basis.

- Embree mentioned that we'll see on Saturday why practices have been closed (that has me very curious)
- All the linemen looked a lot bigger through the legs and upper body without having guts
- Lots of talk about the importance of the opener, setting the tone for the season, etc. --- but I don't think CSU was mentioned a single time
- Hagan got one of the players (forgetting who now) to say, "Bieniemy's so short when he sits on a curb he can swing his legs"
- Everybody from the team or staff we talked to immediately brought up Tupou -- and that dude looked huge
- As always, you can tell whenever a player talks about Cabral that there is genuine love for the man (Washington made a bit of fun of Coach C for being completely clueless about technology and someone having to set up everything for him ahead of meetings)
- Embree stressed bowl game for this year and how important it will be for the fans to be loud in order to give them an edge, specifically mentioning how the worst performance of last year at home vs Oregon actually impressed recruits because of how into it the fans were despite what was happening on the field
- I came home a hero with a mini stuffed animal buffalo for my boy (and I think it satisfied Snow's Xmas shopping if he's somehow boyfriended for the holiday season)
If only I could have found one more, would have satisfied valentines too.

For those who reflexively compare Webb to Cody... stop. Cody was a small guy. Webb is not. He's not as tall as Dillon etc, but he's certainly not small.

super secret--

guesses:

1. wishbone?
2. i-formation?
3. spread?

i bet it is nothing as dramatic as the bone. probably just some sets we've not seen at CU before, or at least for a long time?

One thing that Nik didn't mention is that Boyle was introduced and got a lengthy standing "O". People are genuinely hungry for a winner around here, and are very appreciative of when they see one.

To echo Nik's comments a bit - Tupou is a beast. I got to shake PRich's hand and tell him personally of my man crush on him. He seemed flattered. Crawley and Wright sat a couple tables over from mine, and they look the part of legit D-1 CBs. I think the guy who made the comment about EB was Gus Handler. They didn't have any running backs there, so he subbed in.

Standard fare kickoff luncheon. Nothing extraordinary, but it was enjoyable. I am a little jaundiced after hearing the same stuff for 10+ years. Show me something on the field.

super secret--

guesses:

1. wishbone?
2. i-formation?
3. spread?

i bet it is nothing as dramatic as the bone. probably just some sets we've not seen at CU before, or at least for a long time?
webb can scoot. Powell can run with the ball. Maybe a modern version of the Triple option?

super secret--

guesses:

1. wishbone?
2. i-formation?
3. spread?

This would be my bet - not dramatic, just a few plays here and there...

This would be my bet - not dramatic, just a few plays here and there...

yup-- i think an old-school i-formation is a possibility, especially considering that we are hearing that powell is the best fb we've had in years.

Handler was the one who made the EB comment.

They had Will Pericak, Paul Vigo, Gerald Thomas, and Jack Harris come up and answer pre-submitted questions. Vigo did a good job of talking about the most import games to him - CSU, USC and Utah - not because of the opponent but because of what it means to the program - CSU first game of the season and the Buffs need to make a statement, USC - playing in the Colesium and playing probably #1, and Utah because it will be Senior Day and they have to do it for the Seniors. Someone also mentioned Stanford because it would be homecoming. Harris mentioned that Pericak and Chidera Uzo-Diribe were loads to deal with in Practice.

They had players come up and introduce their position coaches and they were suppose to say something funny about the coaches. Several players and Embree mentioned Josh Tupou.

Sat with the Rip and talked to Paul Richardson for a minute. Talked to Benson for a few minutes before the event, he was making the rounds and shaking hands. Nothing of any substance. I told Richardson that I thought he made a good decision to Red Shirt and get healthy.

They honored the Cross Country team as the First CU team to win a Pac-12 championship.

This was better than when Hawkins was coach but paled to when Barnett was Coach. I think GB controlled these events more and made the theatrics bigger than life. After a couple of the GB ones I wanted to take the field and hit someone.

I really like this staff and believe they are building the program again, unfortunately they are at the beginning of the process. I hope fans give them support while they are rebuilding.

I have a feeling we might see Gerald Thomas lined up in several spots on the field. In the backfield, in the slot, on the outside. Just a hunch.

Back