What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Kin: Most important CU athlete ever?

seattlebuff

He’s closing in on historic status ... the first PAC 12 player with 1600 pts, 600 rebounds, and 600 assists. In this storied basketball conference, that’s mind boggling.

There may have been better players at CU. (maybe). But his impact on this program can’t be overstated. He’s more than a once in a generation player. We’re witnessing a legend.

A bold question: has there ever been a CU player in any sport that’s been more critical to the success of the program? (Chauncey and Whizzer White might be only ones.)

Chauncey single handedly got CU to the second round of the NCAA and had a halftime lead over North Carolina. Kin has a much better team around him. Great player, but not Chauncey level, IMO.
Different questions though
Chauncey was an epic talent and in that specific case he could be classified as greatest, but....
I agree that Kin has assumed the mantle of the top legend of Colorado Basketball! Chauncey is with him on the Mount Rushmore, but collective career wise, McKinley is my #1 all time Buff.
So hard to compare sports though, so I will stop here.

Argument to be made for Nate Tomlinson for this era of CU hoops.

Terrible team when he arrived. As a senior, led the team to a conference title.

Program hit a rut, bounce back coincided with him joining the coaching staff.

He’s been terrific and is in the conversation, but he needs a run in the tourney to cement that legacy.

Chauncey single handedly got CU to the second round of the NCAA and had a halftime lead over North Carolina. Kin has a much better team around him. Great player, but not Chauncey level, IMO.
Chauncey had two more important impacts.

1) Chauncey came at a time when CU basketball was looked at as a joke in most circles. A season that didn't end up at the bottom of the league standings (and a league that has some other bad teams like Iowa State) and getting blown out in the first round of the conference tourney was a success. CU was looked at as a place where nobody could win. Chauncey proved all that wrong.

2) Something Kin has no control over, Chauncey was a Denver kid through and through, a local hero before he ever finished high school. When he went to CU, which in itself was shocking to the media it meant that the local media had to treat CU basketball as more than something to mention is passing, something to stick on the back page of the sports section. It made the program legit in the eyes of the media in Denver and thus the viewers of that media.

I hope that Kin is able to continue his career successfully after CU but it is highly unlikely that he will come close to the success that Chauncey had. Through his pro career Chauncey remained the Denver kid who made good and he was always proud to remind people that he was a Buffalo.

Kin is a wonderful player who means much more to this program that his impressive stats. He is the kind of guy you want associated with your school and your program.

To compare his impact with Chauncey though is simply unfair to Kin. He came into a program that already had credibility with fans, the media, and recruits. He came into a program that had quality talent to compliment his talents, he played with some guys who will be NBA players or are already. He also didn't come with the level of expectation and attention that Chauncey carried.

Hagan is a legend too, undefeated in Big Eight as the starting QB.
Hagan is another who's legacy can't be overstated but in terms of significance I'd put Sal ahead of him. Sal was the face of the team when it went from pathetic loser to legitimate winner.

Hagan was a better player, guy was a magician with the option but Sal led the way RIP.

It says so much about Kin just to put him into this kind of a conversation. And it is richly deserved.
I would put Jay Humphries in that conversation too. He was prolific in both assists and steals.
In football, my top players would include Hagan, Salaam, Bienemy, Romig, Wizzer, and Alfred Williams. Kin is part of that tier of CU legends now too.

Across all sports, I can’t really do justice to them, especially the skiing and cross country greats that made CU a national presence, since I didn’t really follow these sports as closely.

It says so much about Kin just to put him into this kind of a conversation. And it is richly deserved.
I would put Jay Humphries in that conversation too. He was prolific in both assists and steals.
In football, my top players would include Hagan, Salaam, Bienemy, Romig, Wizzer, and Alfred Williams. Kin is part of that tier of CU legends now too.

Across all sports, I can’t really do justice to them, especially the skiing and cross country greats that made CU a national presence, since I didn’t really follow these sports as closely.
Somewhere down the line I feel strongly that as CU fans we are going to be very proud that Evan Battey was a part of this program.

He is a good but not great basketball player. He is in my view an all-world person.

He has overcome challenges that would defeat many lesser individuals overcoming a stroke just to be here playing. He is a leader on and off the court, he is intense and passionate about what he does yet compassionate about others. To watch him respond to an opponent injured in an accidental collision on the floor shows that his heart is about others.

He will accomplish some very special things in his life.

Chauncey had two more important impacts.

1) Chauncey came at a time when CU basketball was looked at as a joke in most circles. A season that didn't end up at the bottom of the league standings (and a league that has some other bad teams like Iowa State) and getting blown out in the first round of the conference tourney was a success. CU was looked at as a place where nobody could win. Chauncey proved all that wrong.

2) Something Kin has no control over, Chauncey was a Denver kid through and through, a local hero before he ever finished high school. When he went to CU, which in itself was shocking to the media it meant that the local media had to treat CU basketball as more than something to mention is passing, something to stick on the back page of the sports section. It made the program legit in the eyes of the media in Denver and thus the viewers of that media.

I hope that Kin is able to continue his career successfully after CU but it is highly unlikely that he will come close to the success that Chauncey had. Through his pro career Chauncey remained the Denver kid who made good and he was always proud to remind people that he was a Buffalo.

Kin is a wonderful player who means much more to this program that his impressive stats. He is the kind of guy you want associated with your school and your program.

To compare his impact with Chauncey though is simply unfair to Kin. He came into a program that already had credibility with fans, the media, and recruits. He came into a program that had quality talent to compliment his talents, he played with some guys who will be NBA players or are already. He also didn't come with the level of expectation and attention that Chauncey carried.
Totally respect and love all your points and Chauncey is everything you said, but.... McKinley is a 4 year kid who has won more games than Chauncey even played in. I pray that Kin has a great run in the tourney cause that could lock it up.
The Net total of Kin’s accomplishments make me put him on top, just ahead of Chauncey and others.
Just love the kid, and hope he makes Denver home.

He’s closing in on historic status ... the first PAC 12 player with 1600 pts, 600 rebounds, and 600 assists. In this storied basketball conference, that’s mind boggling.

There may have been better players at CU. (maybe). But his impact on this program can’t be overstated. He’s more than a once in a generation player. We’re witnessing a legend.

A bold question: has there ever been a CU player in any sport that’s been more critical to the success of the program? (Chauncey and Whizzer White might be only ones.)
Make Sweet 16 this year and he’s #1 hooper.

Totally respect and love all your points and Chauncey is everything you said, but.... McKinley is a 4 year kid who has won more games than Chauncey even played in. I pray that Kin has a great run in the tourney cause that could lock it up.
The Net total of Kin’s accomplishments make me put him on top, just ahead of Chauncey and others.
So many fair points made by others about Chauncey’s impact and legacy. He clearly put CU on the college hoops map at the time. And he’s the better player and will almost guaranteed have the better pro career. But I think the fact he was only here 2 years slightly diminishes his overall legacy and impact. Yes, Kin has had better teams and talent around him, but he consistently elevated that talent and showed toughness and leadership like we’ve rarely seen. CU teams have never been known for their “creators” and in that regard he’s the best we’ve had. I was at CU during the Chauncey years and remember the buzz he created. But I still think Kin is something we’ve never seen before and likely never will again.

I'd be very happy to have Kin live as my neighbor.

Kin is one of our all time greats and I agree with all your points from the standpoint of involved CU fans who closely follow the program.

It is a huge compliment to Kin that he is in this conversation for a program with the history CU has but when looking at the most important athletes others are ahead of him. Big compliment to them that they are.

Keeping the diolougue to Basket Buffs only. In terms of importance, it has to be without hesitation, Chauncey. Importance implies legacy, national relevence, wow factor when you to tell a casual sports fan, “yea, that guy went to CU.” So I think the pro career matters just as much as the collegiate career, so its not really fair to argue yet on Kin’s behalf (though fairly unlikely Kin will ever be in that stratosphere). To me it’s like asking who’s the most important Tar Heel of all time, has to be Jordan, sure you can argue Hansbrough, but you’d be wrong. Vince Carter would also be a more important Heel to me as well. To me Kin will be remembered closer to Josh Scott than to Chauncey, in terms of importance, and Spence has the most likely shot to get into the convo ( having also won a conference title).

Greatest Buff is another question, and he’s very arguably had the greatest career. Though he needs to give us some touney success to seal the deal. And to not lose sight of the real message of the OP, unreal what we’re witnessing!

And as good as some of our football legends have been, they all played on great or at least very good teams loaded with NFL level players. Hagen was legendary, but even his backups were studs. (Joseph, Johnson)

Keeping the diolougue to Basket Buffs only. In terms of importance, it has to be without hesitation, Chauncey. Importance implies legacy, national relevence, wow factor when you to tell a casual sports fan, “yea, that guy went to CU.” So I think the pro career matters just as much as the collegiate career, so its not really fair to argue yet on Kin’s behalf (though fairly unlikely Kin will ever be in that stratosphere). To me it’s like asking who’s the most important Tar Heel of all time, has to be Jordan, sure you can argue Hansbrough, but you’d be wrong. Vince Carter would also be a more important Heel to me as well. To me Kin will be remembered closer to Josh Scott than to Chauncey, in terms of importance, and Spence has the most likely shot to get into the convo ( having also won a conference title).

Greatest Buff is another question, and he’s very arguably had the greatest career. Though he needs to give us some touney success to seal the deal. And to not lose sight of the real message of the OP, unreal what we’re witnessing!
Agree with much of this except comparing Kin to Josh Scott. Loved Uncle Josh and appreciate his lofty place in CU hoops history ... but Kin’s impact is light years ahead IMO.

When Kin comes out to take a breather, the loss is evident how great he is on both sides of the court. I would love to see him in 5+ years return to Tad's staff as an assistant coach. He has established history with his stats and leadership... 1600, 600, 600 (are you kidding me? The only player in conference history! Those numbers will grow in stature as time passes

Anybody who puts Kin at the same level as Mr Big Shot is suffering from a serious case of recency bias. It’s exciting to see him play and he’s an outstanding basketball player, but c’mon. Kin is in that group that includes great players like Dinwiddie, Burks, Roberson and White. Great players, but seriously. C’mon.

Anybody who puts Kin at the same level as Mr Big Shot is suffering from a serious case of recency bias. It’s exciting to see him play and he’s an outstanding basketball player, but c’mon. Kin is in that group that includes great players like Dinwiddie, Burks, Roberson and White. Great players, but seriously. C’mon.
I feel like the only player in that list that you can include with Kin is the Mayor. You have to factor in longevity, Burks only two years, Roberson 3, and White only one on the floor. You also have to include the on the court impact which includes leadership, demeanor, impactful plays at the end of games, which only Dinwiddie matches Kin, and lastly just from representative of CU and being a proud buff. Like before Kin came I feel like there wasn't a lot of outward support in between the athletic department teams. Like Kin got real tight with KD Nixon and other football guys have always been repping CU through and through like none of those players have. Also Kin has always been the best buff on the team. I'd argue higgins was better than burks. I'd argue Josh Scott and Spencer were better college players than Andre. White was the best player on that team and was a great representative of being a buff but his team was the most disappointing in Boyles tenure. So yes we are including recency bias in this argument. But truly the only two players on the basketball side I'd argue are there is obvi Chauncey and Spencer.

I feel like the only player in that list that you can include with Kin is the Mayor. You have to factor in longevity, Burks only two years, Roberson 3, and White only one on the floor. You also have to include the on the court impact which includes leadership, demeanor, impactful plays at the end of games, which only Dinwiddie matches Kin, and lastly just from representative of CU and being a proud buff. Like before Kin came I feel like there wasn't a lot of outward support in between the athletic department teams. Like Kin got real tight with KD Nixon and other football guys have always been repping CU through and through like none of those players have. Also Kin has always been the best buff on the team. I'd argue higgins was better than burks. I'd argue Josh Scott and Spencer were better college players than Andre. White was the best player on that team and was a great representative of being a buff but his team was the most disappointing in Boyles tenure. So yes we are including recency bias in this argument. But truly the only two players on the basketball side I'd argue are there is obvi Chauncey and Spencer.
You would be wrong, but you are free to argue it I guess.

Hagan is another who's legacy can't be overstated but in terms of significance I'd put Sal ahead of him. Sal was the face of the team when it went from pathetic loser to legitimate winner.

Hagan was a better player, guy was a magician with the option but Sal led the way RIP.
Hagan was the one that put us on the national stage. With all respect to Sal, if it wasnt for his death, while being a player, he would have been a footnote in our success. Hagan was the ONE. He made EB, JJ and Hemingway, better.

Hagan was the one that put us on the national stage. With all respect to Sal, if it wasnt for his death, while being a player, he would have been a footnote in our success. Hagan was the ONE. He made EB, JJ and Hemingway, better.
Agreed, but Sal was the one who made us legitimate. Hagan was better, Sal was more significant in the whole process.

The thing Hagan does have that none of the others mentioned have in the National Championship which is huge but I look at it this way, Sal took us up the mountain, Hagan took us the final step. All respect to both.

When did he earn the name "Mr. Big Shot"? We are talking about Buff Time only, as the title says CU Athlete.
There is no wrong answer here as Chauncey and McKinley have represented Colorado Basketball in such a great way!!! (Permission to Bang, Bang, Bang)

Back