What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Kingsbury on recruiting

Big Jim

WTF?
Club Member
Jumping from college to the NFL also relieves Kingsbury of one of the fundamental aspects of being a college coach: recruiting. That, in addition to not having any of the peripheral responsibilities that accompany representing a school’s football team, such as fundraising and meeting donors, has opened up Kingsbury’s schedule so he can just focus on football.

"That's a huge plus for me,” Kingsbury said. "I enjoyed all aspects of being a head coach in college, but the recruiting, that’s the lifeblood of any program. That should be your focus. That may not have been my focus at times as much as it should’ve been because I wanted to coach the quarterbacks and be in the X's and O's and study other offenses.
"Now I get to do that and make that first and foremost, and it’s been good."

http://www.espn.com/blog/arizona-ca...h-kliff-kingsbury-find-college-to-pro-success

Some coaches are not cut out for that kind of stuff despite the high pay levels. Perhaps it is justifiable that college head coaches earn more than NFL head coaches.

Jumping from college to the NFL also relieves Kingsbury of one of the fundamental aspects of being a college coach: recruiting. That, in addition to not having any of the peripheral responsibilities that accompany representing a school’s football team, such as fundraising and meeting donors, has opened up Kingsbury’s schedule so he can just focus on football.

"That's a huge plus for me,” Kingsbury said. "I enjoyed all aspects of being a head coach in college, but the recruiting, that’s the lifeblood of any program. That should be your focus. That may not have been my focus at times as much as it should’ve been because I wanted to coach the quarterbacks and be in the X's and O's and study other offenses.
"Now I get to do that and make that first and foremost, and it’s been good."

http://www.espn.com/blog/arizona-ca...h-kliff-kingsbury-find-college-to-pro-success
If he feels that way about recruiting, then it was a damn smart move going to the NFL.

I can't imagine that any part of sucking up to high school students and their families is fun, and can't blame him for not enjoying it.

If he feels that way about recruiting, then it was a damn smart move going to the NFL.

I can't imagine that any part of sucking up to high school students and their families is fun, and can't blame him for not enjoying it.

I think it is more sales than sucking up, but regardless it is a skillset that while anyone can try it (and work on it and get better) some are naturals, and some love it (the naturals that love it are the Michael Jordans of the sport). If you don't love it you may be good, but you will never truly compete with those that do.

Really makes it awkward for these guys when they inevitably have to go back to college when they make these comments (see: Fred Hoiberg, Chip Kelly, etc.)

I don’t see his comments as any kind of indictment. He admits he probably should have been more focused on recruiting. Nothing wrong with admitting that.

I still think he will be a spectacular failure as an NFL head coach, but that’s Arizona’s problem.

I don’t see his comments as any kind of indictment. He admits he probably should have been more focused on recruiting. Nothing wrong with admitting that.

I still think he will be a spectacular failure as an NFL head coach, but that’s Arizona’s problem.

I mean he basically says all he really wanted to do was be an OC/QB coach.

No wonder recruiting and defense suffered.

I mean he basically says all he really wanted to do was be an OC/QB coach.

No wonder recruiting and defense suffered.
That's also poor management skills. If I was him with what made him tick, my top priorities would be to find me a Venables type to run my defense and to fill my coaching & support staffs with recruiters. I'd also be the OC & QB coach along with being HC, which would open up a ton of budget to get that great DC and open up jobs so that I could have an extra position coach for another spot. Could be a ST coach or even having a senior and a junior OL coach.

Not everyone is cut out to be a college football coach. Kliff had to recruit to Lubbock and that place is a dump so it might be like having another job but working for the city of Lubbock. I think it's justifiable that CFB head coaches earn more than NFL head coaches.

As the NFL and college games become more alike, you'll see burnt out college coaches moving up to the NFL more often.

Not everyone is cut out to be a college football coach. Kliff had to recruit to Lubbock and that place is a dump so it might be like having another job but working for the city of Lubbock. I think it's justifiable that CFB head coaches earn more than NFL head coaches.

As the NFL and college games become more alike, you'll see burnt out college coaches moving up to the NFL more often.
Never ending recruiting has to suck, unless you're into that sort of thing.

Never ending recruiting has to suck, unless you're into that sort of thing.

Has to get tiring spending your time running around trying to make a bunch of 16-18 years olds feel like you think they are special.

Worse might be dealing their parents and others around them who are worse.

Then when you aren't recruiting you are spending time with a bunch of old rich donors who are less in touch with reality that the kids are and who think because they can sign a check they should get to make decisions for you.

Easy to see why Mike Shanahan liked working for Pat Bowlen.

Has to get tiring spending your time running around trying to make a bunch of 16-18 years olds feel like you think they are special.

Worse might be dealing their parents and others around them who are worse.

Then when you aren't recruiting you are spending time with a bunch of old rich donors who are less in touch with reality that the kids are and who think because they can sign a check they should get to make decisions for you.

Easy to see why Mike Shanahan liked working for Pat Bowlen.
So what do you talk about when your with RG, LC, & HCMT. I'll never be invited to one of those meetings. So kinda curious

Back