What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Kobra Kai - It was about the Position Change

Darth Snow

Hawaiian Buffalo
Club Member
Junta Member
He tells the Daily one thing...

And the Honolulu Advertiser another...:cry:

''Well, there's a lot of family issues,'' Maiava said, declining to go into detail. ''I just feel like the closer I can get to home, I will feel a lot better and my family will feel a lot better. The position change also definitely had a lot to do with it — it didn't work out the way I was hoping and the way the coaches were hoping it would work out.''
''I played fullback all the way through spring ball and I wasn't getting the amount of playing time that I was hoping for,'' Maiava said. ''In the spring game I only went in for one play and then I came out.''

And the money quote....

'I don't want to talk bad or anything, but they said I'm too small, which I didn't really understand,'' Maiava said. ''They said, 'You can play fullback.' They were saying I was too small to play a good guard.''

''I am hoping they kind of overlook my size and realize that I can play at the D-I level and hopefully it'll open a lot of doors.''

..... ****:sad2:. Moving him to FB now officially was a bad move. Good luck going to the NFL as a 6'0" guard man. Hawk was doing you a favor.:bang:

The Honolulu Advertiser? Couldn't he have found a little bit more of a reputable publication to spill his guts to... like, I don't know, Tidbits?

..... ****. Moving him to FB now officially was a bad move. Good luck going to the NFL as a 6'0" guard man. Hawk was doing you a favor.

Don't bad mouth former players... We're starting to look RED.

he probably would have moved up in the fullback depth. doesnt sound like a team player, leaving because he didnt play enough during spring ball. i know it wasnt the only reason he left, but still doesnt look good.

Moving him was a bad idea, imho. He could play at the college level from what I saw. I remember him just flat out manhandling a couple of guys on OUs defensive line. He was a freshman and they were not.

In my book this is a loss.

Moving him was a bad idea, imho. He could play at the college level from what I saw. I remember him just flat out manhandling a couple of guys on OUs defensive line. He was a freshman and they were not.

:yeahthat:

Waiting for SD to tell me how wrong I am...

He did well when he was run blocking. But he was a major liability when pass blocking. He got ate up in the Mizzou game. I don't want to bash Kai. He could've started this year. Maybe. But that's it imo. The kids we have now are better all around at guard. It was only a matter of time before he got beat out. That's why they tried to move him to FB.

It sucks - I like Kai. He played great last year. However, I have to think that Hawk felt like Kai wasn't going to effectively compete for an O-Line spot.

So, from a football standpoint, I don't think this is a big deal, as we are losing a non-starting player from a depth position right now (albeit young).

I guess we will find out in about 5 months.

I do wish him the best, and I hope he finds a school where he can get out there and knock some folks on their heads.

I didn't like the move and I still don't like it, but I'm over it. Losing Kai is not going to make or break this team over the next couple years.

I am not saying the staff was necessarily wrong in moving him but I'd love to see this guy back in the OL. Whatever team he decides to get on, I'll be a fan. Fiesty SOB.

Don't bad mouth former players... We're starting to look RED.
Just to be clear, I love Kai. Hell, hes from my home state. I just don't think he thought this all the way through or gave it the time he should have. He is a good to great college guard in the run game and he did have issues in the passing game. In a lower level of ball he will destroy people. He still won't go to the NFL as a 6'0" guard.

He took the "small" talk personally instead of realizing that he had to work his ass off to transform himself into a FB.

Wrong attitude for the change. I will root for him wherever he goes, but I don't see how anyone can argue that he had 0 chance of going to the next level as a 6'0" guard or even as a center.

There is no need to bash the kid, he might not be a future nfl guard and maybe at fb he couldve been (highly doubt it) but it seems he really wants to play guard, he is not a quitter or a selfish player he just wants to enjoy his limited time of college athletics. Good for him, I wish him the best.

And there is no need to bash the staff, imo he wouldve very soon if not this fall be beat out by another lineman and would have been relegated down the depth chart so they were just trying to find a spot for him and see if it worked out.

He did well when he was run blocking. But he was a major liability when pass blocking. He got ate up in the Mizzou game. I don't want to bash Kai. He could've started this year. Maybe. But that's it imo. The kids we have now are better all around at guard. It was only a matter of time before he got beat out. That's why they tried to move him to FB.

left tackle too. now granted I was only at two games last year, but if I recall this correctly the pass protection in both of these games broke down on the left side....

It makes sense, if he really wants to play football and already lost the confidence of the coaching staff at the position he not only excelled at but loved, better transfer early than let it fester.

Just to be clear, I love Kai. Hell, hes from my home state. I just don't think he thought this all the way through or gave it the time he should have. He is a good to great college guard in the run game and he did have issues in the passing game. In a lower level of ball he will destroy people. He still won't go to the NFL as a 6'0" guard.

He took the "small" talk personally instead of realizing that he had to work his ass off to transform himself into a FB.

Wrong attitude for the change. I will root for him wherever he goes, but I don't see how anyone can argue that he had 0 chance of going to the next level as a 6'0" guard or even as a center.

But dude had potential at FB. The one play I notice him playing in the spring game he lined up in the wrong spot, was pointed to the right spot, and promptly knocked someone on his ass. If only he was doing that (after attending a few practices and learning where to lineup) as a Buff.......

Oh well.

Good luck Kai. Seriously. I loved you for the year you were here.

even though he battered and rammed the OU defensive line I like him as a player for CU and will continue to support him as a player wherever he transfers, except texas. His father was very gracious and nice over breakfast the next morning at the hotel where LB and I met him. He, his father and I swapped stories from "old school" Big 8 days. Great guy.

best of luck to Kai and his family from this Sooner....

and boy am I glad OU doesn't have to face him on the o-line again anytime soon.....:wink2:

quitters are not former players

Kai has the responsibility to do what is right for Kai. He does not have a responsibility to do whatever is convenient for the Buffs. He felt he was a guard, wanted to play guard, and will go play guard somewhere. Yes, I do not think he will play in the NFL at guard, and had a better chance at FB, but he is changing to a school who will play him at guard. Which means he probably talked to the coaches, or at least looked at how the RSFrosh players and new incoming class was doing, and saw the size and realized that he would not play at guard here, so he left. I will not fault him for that. I hope that he finds a school that will play him there and hope he overcomes and gets a NFL team someday. SC seems like a HUGE long shot, but San Diego State certainly may be a good fit for him.

Just as an aside - at the spring game, FC and I were noticing the starting O-Linemen standing on the sideline, talking about something. These guys are freaking HUGE. I don't mean kinda big, or reasonably large. I mean freaking huge. It's just me saying this, but I think Kai might have seen the writing on the wall. He didn't feel comfortable at FB, was having some difficulties in the classroom, didn't get a lot of reps during spring ball as a result, and came to the conclusion that it was best for him to leave. If that's his rationale, I have a hard time faulting him for it.

Just as an aside - at the spring game, FC and I were noticing the starting O-Linemen standing on the sideline, talking about something. These guys are freaking HUGE. I don't mean kinda big, or reasonably large. I mean freaking huge. It's just me saying this, but I think Kai might have seen the writing on the wall. He didn't feel comfortable at FB, was having some difficulties in the classroom, didn't get a lot of reps during spring ball as a result, and came to the conclusion that it was best for him to leave. If that's his rationale, I have a hard time faulting him for it.

and they were standing as a group, almost in formation, right in front of where d scott was watching the practice....

...coincidence?

i think not...

here's my take on this thread. people have to make the decisions they feel are right for themselves and their future. kai made a decision based on things we do not know about. the coaching staff made a decision based on things we do not know about. it is counterproductive to speculate on any of that. it is better just to accept it, because the decision has been made.

kai looked like an animal blocking on the play that i saw him in on last saturday. i wish him the best. i am sure he will find a spot somewhere that achieves his goals.

the team is showing improvement. the coaching staff is working hard to achieve that improvement and they have their own goals. as long as that improvement continues, i am behind them.

I noticed the size of the offensive linemen as well. I can't believe how much bigger we have gotten over the last couple years.

I noticed the size of the offensive linemen as well. I can't believe how much bigger we have gotten over the last couple years.

Anyone have a current height/weight breakdown of our expected two deep on the oline next year? Or even just the projected starters? It'd be interesting to compare to past olines.

So:
73 Miller, Ryan 6-7 315
61 Faatagi, Erick 6-2 310
75 Daniel Sanders, 6-3 , 325,
71 Matthew Bahr, 6-4, 280,
78 Nate Solder, 6-8, 280

Can someone tell me how this compares with the starters in 2004,5,6? And what about 2001?

So:
73 Miller, Ryan 6-7 315
61 Faatagi, Erick 6-2 310
75 Daniel Sanders, 6-3 , 325,
71 Matthew Bahr, 6-4, 280,
78 Nate Solder, 6-8, 280

Can someone tell me how this compares with the starters in 2004,5,6? And what about 2001?

I think Devin Head will replace Bahr as the starter this fall. He's looked pretty good.

Back