What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Kronshage Twitter mistake

Oops, my bad. I'm obviously not as enlightened as Tini is.

Put me to pasture with DBT. :lol:

But seriously, I really think we're going nuts here. Let MM talk to Sam and let him make the decision. I'll support which ever way it goes, but like I said, the quick rush to judgment really disturbs me.

Curse my childhood and the Navy for making me live in 18 different places in "35" years!

Can't come back from the N-word, is all I'm saying. MikeMac could give him a pass, but what are team leaders like Chidera and PRich gonna say about his "Texas" vocabulary to the rest of the team? "Guys, he's a recovering racist" or "Guys, he meant the n***a version". Rival recruiters will make it known that not only is Boulder pretty white, CU let's kids in that like the N-word--they can check the Dallas Morning News for confirmation. All this for a 3 star OT with bad knees? Great strategy.

If MM chooses to comment on this at all when asked about it (as he likely will be, probably from some local media asshat needing column fodder), he'll say it was handled internally. Either that means Sam is done, or more likely he's going to redshirt anyway and he has that year to "make it right" by showing he can get it done in the classroom and the weight room and be a good teammate without further incident. MM can put him in one of the accountability groups with other guys, black, white, and Islander, from New Jersey, DC, Colorado, California. Make him room with a player other than Huckins, Dorman, Wood, or the Irwins, or an O-lineman from the California suburbs. At 18 and the first year away from home he might learn a few more things about other human beings and their backgrounds than he previously has.

He's dug himself into a hole to start out, but he'll most likely be given the chance to work himself out of it if he wants to badly enough. But he'll be on a short leash because of that choice he made.

Think there's a lot more that rival recruiters can use to denigrate us more than if MikeMac decides to keep Kronshage around, like...

"Colorado went 1-11 last year, why do you want to go to that ****hole of a program." If rival programs are stooping to a high school junior saying something stupid to sway a recruit, then we're back to prominence, but I digress.

Look, my general "political" principle I strive to live by is don't be an asshole to others. Do I live up to it all the time? No. I have my moments. But I am one who believes in second chances. For all we know, this is Sam's first **** up. Is it pretty blatant? By many perceptions, **** yeah it is. But does that mean the kid is a complete waste of space? No, it doesn't.

In my 17 years in the Navy, I've seen stupid **** like this happen all the time. I've had to step into the middle of and break up fights between the engine room lower level and engine room forward watch on a Trident submarine while on my midwatch tour because one called the other a racial slur of some sort. Did I immediately write up the kids and take them to mast? No. I didn't. Should I have by the regs of the UCMJ? Yes, I should have. Did I take a few extra moments on the tour to dress them down call them both out for being assholes to their entire crew because the dumbass fight they were having risked the lives of 150 other people/shipmates? You bet I did. Was there a problem in my division again between those two? Nope. Did both go on to successful Naval careers? Yep. What would have happened to those kids if I didn't take the time to calm things down and instead chose to write them up and take them to the green table? Don't know, a lot of people have come back from being busted in rank and losing pay, but it's nice to know that in that one instance BOTH individuals learned from their mistakes and moved on to become great sailors.

And guess what? These kids were the same age Kronshage is now. Unfortunately, kids at that age are prone to be assholes to each other. I know I was an asshole at that age. And I think if all of us look inside we all know we were assholes in our own way to others as well.

Rambling point I'm trying to make is all of us "35" year olds I think have forgotten our lives as the 17/18 year old asshole and neglect to think what sort of greater asshole we may have turned out to be if someone hadn't come along and told us what an asshole we were being and given us that second chance.

Again, I will support MM in the decision, but for us previous assholes to all of a sudden take the "educated" turn due to "enlightenment" received in the lily white confines of CU-Boulder are fooling ourselves with the immediate condemnation of a 17 year old kid here.

It is probably a mistake on his part. Hope he learns from his mistake. Words don't hurt, actions hurt.

You said it.

Sorry you can't see the difference between one having a very close relationship to slavery and racism to one that is generally accepted by the black community and one that is used in casual conversation and in songs by the black community. Once again, I'm not saying its right, I'm just pointing out the differences. Hell, say "What up..." with both of them, which sounds worse and which do you think a black person would find more offensive?

Anyway, I'm done discussing this. Sam should not have said that and he should be punished but not to the extent of pulling his scholarship. He publicly apologized and other than not **** up again on twitter, there's nothing else he can do...our age group is full of stupid mistakes. The first week up in Boulder for him could be a tough one though...

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm gonna use the 'a' ending, maybe drop some rap lyrics, maybe just to try and be funny. I should be fine, you're the expert.

nobody believes you are going to try it. We all know you don't have any friends.

[video=youtube;Kppx4bzfAaE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kppx4bzfAaE[/video]

[video=youtube;9uvJzr0zZvk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uvJzr0zZvk[/video]

So let's pretend for a minute that I buy all that "product of his environment / this is how kids tease each other in Texas" crap - this wasn't one of his friends he was just messing with, it was some kid from a rival HS that he was talking s**t to after what appears to be a particularly heated game. I didn't get the sense these two were buddies.

If this is how people in his neighborhood talk, then he is on for a major culture shock in college - good luck, I just don't see why we owe it to him to honor the scholarship, it's a privilege.

Has anybody spoken to the "victim" and found out just how offended he is?

Sorry you can't see the difference between one having a very close relationship to slavery and racism to one that is generally accepted by the black community and one that is used in casual conversation and in songs by the black community. Once again, I'm not saying its right, I'm just pointing out the differences. Hell, say "What up..." with both of them, which sounds worse and which do you think a black person would find more offensive?

Anyway, I'm done discussing this. Sam should not have said that and he should be punished but not to the extent of pulling his scholarship. He publicly apologized and other than not **** up again on twitter, there's nothing else he can do...our age group is full of stupid mistakes. The first week up in Boulder for him could be a tough one though...

Not trying to rehash this thing too much, but for the crew I ran with as a youngster, "a" or "er" was an express ticket to an altercation. Academic types have tried to intellectualize this thing by drawing this distinction and claiming that one is offensive, but the other is fun. Please don't believe that hype. There are definitely folks within the black community who continue to use both versions of the term with each other, but neither version is cool nor acceptable for Sam Kronshage to be directing to others.

Is the kid a racist? Highly doubt it. Just needs to go ahead and lose both versions of the word from his vocabulary.

I'll be much happier when we, as a society, are no longer offended by words. Just sayin'.

I'll be much happier when we, as a society, are no longer offended by words. Just sayin'.

We're getting there. **** (The one that looks like C-unit) is pretty common now. I think we have a long way to go on the n-word though.

I'm offended by his tweet but I don't think his scholly should be pulled. Sam's character has to be in question though, so he'll have some making up and growing up to do.

I think he made a huge mistake. I think the tweet was meant to be more hurtful and less racist, but the N-word is both extremely hurtful and extremely racist. Maybe MM will let the team vote on the issue of bringing him in, because Sam will have to address and deal with his teammates on this.

All this - going way off the rocker here. You don't go kicking a kid off the team for a mistake as a 17/18 year old. Live around these kids for awhile and I'll tell you that they have moved past all the PC bull**** us "PC enlightened" 35 year olds wrap ourselves around.

Plus, all of you who are making your comments on this have great hate and dissent for the state of Texas except for the athletes we pull out of there - having somewhat of a good idea where most of you grew up and then came to Boulder from, you have no idea what the environment is like in Texas wrt (with respect to) race relations.

These types of exchanges went on in 1989-1991 when I was in high school there, this also continued as I walked down the streets in Austin (liberally enlightened place of Texas) and Cedar Park in 2009-2011 as I saw black and white teammates wearing the same letter jackets arms around each other talking to each other using the language in question TO EACH OTHER as they walked in the opposite direction as me.

Is it right? No. But this is how the kids treat each other and I have seen it first hand. Did a fight immediately break out? No. Did a "GTFO you cracker!" and laughter afterward happen? Yep.

All I'm saying is, chill the **** out people. Live there, know where the kids are coming from before you condemn their actions as a 17/18 year old and want to destroy their lives by calling to pull their scholarship to the completely "enlightened PC Mecca" that is Boulder, Colorado that is THE place of racial equality and relations and LOVE (bull****) while you conveniently forget about what the true diversity numbers among the student population in Boulder REALLY are.

I know I will get crucified for this, but again, live and grow up in the place and then come talk to me.

Darn it, I'm out of rep. Someone hit up HotRack for me. The kid made a dumb mistake, but not a pull a scholly mistake.

And yes, there is something to be said for taking region into account. I went to Cherry Creek HS, and probably went all the way through HS without saying the N word in any form. My brother went to HS in a very similar school in the Houston suburbs (played Sam's HS BTW) and he and his friends of all colors used to use it in jest all the time. It sounded horrible to my Denver ears, but none of those kids were racist.

This kid is 18 years old? While it appears highly inappropriate and hurtful, I hope this can be a learning opportunity for him. Boulder seems like a good place for him to complete his higher education (intellectually and socially).

I think Kronshage said something stupid. He should be talked to, and the matter should be handled in the context of the incident. It is simply unbelievable to me how some of you are reacting to an event where no one suffered any physical injury, no crime was commited and didn't involve any of you. One word, that was it. Are we a society of such weak people that one word sends you into a tizzy? I agree he should not be going out of his way to offend and honestly I have seen fights break out when the word was used in certain contexts. I have also seen it used in jest between friends, sometimes friends who were of different races. All some of you have to do is hear the word, and like trained seals, you begin barking and grabbing your torches and pitchforks.

You talk about sensitivity and tolerance and then mock the notion that where Sam is right now as a person and in the particular community he resides may look at the topic differently than you. Then you judge that wrong, without all the facts, knowing any of the people or the community he lives in and do so in the name of tolerance. I doubt you'll ever understand how stupid that looks.....

Darn it, I'm out of rep. Someone hit up HotRack for me. The kid made a dumb mistake, but not a pull a scholly mistake.
Got him, you and Lefty as representatives of the Voice of Reason!

The kid is 18. And to play the HotRack 100 questions game...Did he do something stupid. Yep. Did he do something criminal? Nope. Does he have a lot to learn about living life in a fishbowl? Yep. Did CU do due diligence in checking into his character during the recruiting process. Yep again. They obviously felt like he was a good player and a good kid when they offered him a scholly. My guess is that MM uses this a teaching opportunity for this young kid. Does he understand what he did, why it got publicity and why people are upset about it? Does he regret it? Does he want to use it to grow as a person? If Yuri can survive his Twitter firestorm, then Sam can too.

Oh, and thank God there wasn't Twitter, Facebook and YouTube when I was a kid! Luckily, most of my f-ups weren't published for the world to see.

And yes, there is something to be said for taking region into account. I went to Cherry Creek HS, and probably went all the way through HS without saying the N word in any form. My brother went to HS in a very similar school in the Houston suburbs (played Sam's HS BTW) and he and his friends of all colors used to use it in jest all the time. It sounded horrible to my Denver ears, but none of those kids were racist.
I got HotRack for you.....see you at the reeducation camp.

Back