What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Kyle Hybl - University of Colorado Regent - 5th Congressional District

dio

Admin
Club Member
Junta Member
Kyle Hybl

hybl.png

Phone:719.322.6226
Email: Kyle.Hybl@cu.edu

Education: Bachelors Degree - University of Colorado, Law Degree - University of Colorado

Job: Regent, Attorney

Term: 2007 - 2013

INCUMBENT - University of Colorado Regent - 5th Congressional District 5 (R)

Bio: Kyle is an Air Force veteran and a CU alumnus. He earned a bachelor's and a law degree at the University of Colorado Boulder.

Kyle served as a judge advocate in the US Air Force, but returned to Colorado where he currently serves as Vice President and General Counsel for El Pomar Foundation. He also serves as General Counsel for the Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs and The Garden City Company in Garden City, Kansas. Finally, he serves as legal adviser to the National Homeland Defense Foundation in Colorado Springs.

His civic activities include serving on the board of directors for the Police Foundation of Colorado Springs, the Air Force Academy Foundation, the Colorado Spring World Arena, and the Fund for American Studies.

Hyble was elected to the Board of Regents in 2006. He has also served as board chair for two terms (2010 - 2012).

Effects on Athletics:

Response to Allbuffs Question and Answer:

Q: How do you view the role of CU athletics within the University?
A: "I think first of all athletics in general is important in the development of young people. And it's not the only avenue to which we develop character in young people, but it certainly is one which is important."

Q: Do you have a specific stance on any facilities upgrades?
A: "I do not. We have not, as a board of reagents, seen anything come through in any of our meetings."

Q: Are you comfortable with the job the current administration is doing in terms of support and execution of athletic initiatives?
A: "I think that in the arena of making sure we have strong scholar-athletes, I think Phil DeStefano and Mike Bohn and the various head coaches are doing a nice job. As a matter of fact, through our contracts with head coaches we incentivize them to make sure that their young people perform (in the classroom). In that sense, we're doing well. In different arenas, coming off the men's and women's basketball season last year has to make one feel good. Clearly we have room for improvement as far as wins and losses go for the football team."

Q: Talking about the football time, especially when we play on live TV and can advertise the program, is the current product appealing?
A: "I believe that - a couple of things with regard to TV coverage - football in particular, TV coverage is a form of good advertising for the university. It's also a rallying point for our alumni. So having televised games is clearly important and I think that as a general matter, both alumni and prospective students like more wins than losses."

Q: Do you have schools in mind that you consider to be peers to CU?
A: "I think that whether it's a (UC) Berkley, UCLA, USC - the academic side and the partnerships that our faculty have with a number of those institutions through various federal research is significant. There's certainly a number of peers out there academically and athletically, it's just that we, at this moment, have some work to do on the gridiron."

Q: And what do you think that would entail? Because if we go back to calling it an "advertisement" and people turn on the TV and see CU down by 40 in the second or third quarter - It's kind of like an advertisement telling you not to buy it's product. So what do you think needs to be done with the product in that case?
A: "I think the upside to TV coverage is greater than the downside is. If you have a great performing team in television coverage, that's going to payoff in the positive. If you're not performing well, it doesn't necessarily make people say 'No way I'm going there.'"

Q: Would you like to see the number of intercollegiate sports offered increased, decreased, or stay where it's at?
A: "I know the athletic director has thoughts with regard to that and there's economics to the whole thing and what's a natural fit to the university. I don't have any specific things in mind, but one always needs to make sure that sports are bringing in the revenues they need to and meeting the needs of our student athletes."

Quotes regarding athletics:

Thanks. We just want to stay as focused on athletics as possible to avoid the crap that covers the pol forum.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Kyle was kind enough to provide us some answers in a phone interview. Thank you Kyle!

Q: How do you view the role of CU athletics within the University?
A: "I think first of all athletics in general is important in the development of young people. And it's not the only avenue to which we develop character in young people, but it certainly is one which is important."

Q: Do you have a specific stance on any facilities upgrades?
A: "I do not. We have not, as a board of reagents, seen anything come through in any of our meetings."

Q: Are you comfortable with the job the current administration is doing in terms of support and execution of athletic initiatives?
A: "I think that in the arena of making sure we have strong scholar-athletes, I think Phil DeStefano and Mike Bohn and the various head coaches are doing a nice job. As a matter of fact, through our contracts with head coaches we incentivize them to make sure that their young people perform (in the classroom). In that sense, we're doing well. In different arenas, coming off the men's and women's basketball season last year has to make one feel good. Clearly we have room for improvement as far as wins and losses go for the football team."

Q: Talking about the football team, especially when we play on live TV and can advertise the program, is the current product appealing?
A: "I believe that - a couple of things with regard to TV coverage - football in particular, TV coverage is a form of good advertising for the university. It's also a rallying point for our alumni. So having televised games is clearly important and I think that as a general matter, both alumni and prospective students like more wins than losses."

Q: Do you have schools in mind that you consider to be peers to CU?
A: "I think that whether it's a (UC) Berkley, UCLA, USC - the academic side and the partnerships that our faculty have with a number of those institutions through various federal research is significant. There's certainly a number of peers out there academically and athletically, it's just that we, at this moment, have some work to do on the gridiron."

Q: And what do you think that would entail? Because if we go back to calling it an "advertisement" and people turn on the TV and see CU down by 40 in the second or third quarter - It's kind of like an advertisement telling you not to buy it's product. So what do you think needs to be done with the product in that case?
A: "I think the upside to TV coverage is greater than the downside is. If you have a great performing team in television coverage, that's going to payoff in the positive. If you're not performing well, it doesn't necessarily make people say 'No way I'm going there.'"

Q: Would you like to see the number of intercollegiate sports offered increased, decreased, or stay where it's at?
A: "I know the athletic director has thoughts with regard to that and there's economics to the whole thing and what's a natural fit to the university. I don't have any specific things in mind, but one always needs to make sure that sports are bringing in the revenues they need to and meeting the needs of our student athletes."

I appreciate his willingness to respond. It sounds like he has at least a basic appreciation for the value of the athletic department.

Was his answer about peers to CU written somewhat out of context or does he think USC is one of the UC schools?

I think he believes those three schools are CU's academic peers. I happen to disagree, but they are schools CU should emulate.

I think he believes those three schools are CU's academic peers. I happen to disagree, but they are schools CU should emulate.

Interesting. I would think that he meant the UC schools because they are also public universities but I'm surprised he said USC (rather than Stanford) on the private side...I'm also unclear on whether he was referring to academics or athletics despite his reference to academics...Still, he seems to have the best pulse on the importance of the football program to both AllBuffs and CU compared to some of the other candidates...just an observation. I'm curious as to what your thoughts are on the matter. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that this was a phone interview, so he was probably speaking somewhat off the cuff

He really only seemed to care that our student athletes are doing well in the student part

Wanted to thank Kyle for the interview and sharing his thoughts with us.

Is he running unopposed?

Wanted to thank Kyle for the interview and sharing his thoughts with us.

Is he running unopposed?

I don't think he's running at all. Regents serve 6-year terms. He's probably somewhere in the middle of his term. I think only the 3rd and 7th are holding elections this year, plus the at-large race.

Back