What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Larry Scott Gets Contract Extension Through 2022

I'm a Larry Scott supporter. CU is not in the Pac-12 without him and his vision for the conference.

Now get us on DirecTV.

I want to see some innovation. Get us on internet TV sources. Minimize late games that no ones sees. Increase exposure. Hopefully he's setting us up for all of the above as we see pay TV and ESPiN decline.

What do you want him to do, sell part of the equity of the conference like the Big-10 and SEC have?
For a start, how about making it so people who go to a bar can watch the game? You know, like every other P5 team in the country.

It sucks that I can't just go to the same bar as friends who went to tOSU or UT and we can all watch our games. I have to say nahh, I'm heading to some weird bar on the outskirts of town that I heard through an internet rumor will be playing the Buff's game.

It's horse sh*t and completely unacceptable for a major conference.

For a start, how about making it so people who go to a bar can watch the game? You know, like every other P5 team in the country.

It sucks that I can't just go to the same bar as friends who went to tOSU or UT and we can all watch our games. I have to say nahh, I'm heading to some weird bar on the outskirts of town that I heard through an internet rumor will be playing the Buff's game.

It's horse sh*t and completely unacceptable for a major conference.
Yeah no **** but how would you go about that? Sell a stake in the conference like the SEC and Big-10 did because Scott presented a deal like that to the presidents and they voted no. And if you live in the Denver area you are being very dramatic, there are tons of bars that carry both Directv and Cable/Dish not just some "weird" bars on the "outskirts."

Yeah no **** but how would you go about that? Sell a stake in the conference like the SEC and Big-10 did because Scott presented a deal like that to the presidents and they voted no. And if you live in the Denver area you are being very dramatic, there are tons of bars that carry both Directv and Cable/Dish not just some "weird" bars on the "outskirts."
A lot of CU alumni do not hail from or reside in the Denver metro area, so the struggle is real.

As far as what poor Larry should do, he should negotiate and sell. Every other conference has managed to do so. There are deals to be had.

Well the way he presented it, this model they came up with would work out better than the SEC's or the Big Ten's, but it hasn't.

A lot of CU alumni do not hail from or reside in the Denver metro area, so the struggle is real.

As far as what poor Larry should do, he should negotiate and sell. Every other conference has managed to do so. There are deals to be had.
Apparently not enough to make a difference!

Listen I know it is a pain in the ass, this is the first season since I became a freshman at CU I have been indifferent about the basketball team since I couldn't watch some of their OOC games as they were on Pac-12 mountain and I only get the national feed. BUT, Scott went to the presidents with a deal to sell part of the rights to ATT/DirecTV and they said no so putting all of the blame on this guy when he has little leverage in terms of fan engagement/size and power to change it seems pretty harsh.

Apparently not enough to make a difference!

Listen I know it is a pain in the ass, this is the first season since I became a freshman at CU I have been indifferent about the basketball team since I couldn't watch some of their OOC games as they were on Pac-12 mountain and I only get the national feed. BUT, Scott went to the presidents with a deal to sell part of the rights to ATT/DirecTV and they said no so putting all of the blame on this guy when he has little leverage in terms of fan engagement/size and power to change it seems pretty harsh.
I guess he should have put together a better deal then.

Again, rather than go back and forth on this, please tell me what ol' Larry has done to earn an extension? Usually job performance dictates things like this and I can't come up with any feathers in the cap for Scott.

I live in Atlanta and have no problem getting it at home or at a bar. Occasionally a small bar may have only Directv, but there are plenty of other places around.

I live in Atlanta and have no problem getting it at home or at a bar. Occasionally a small bar may have only Directv, but there are plenty of other places around.
Lucky guy. For whatever reason I find most sports bars only have DTV and no comcast or Dish.

I have Dish at home so usually I just watch the game there, but it would be nice if I wasn't held hostage on where I can view the games.

They need to renegotiate the deals with the carriers and allow fans to purchase standalone subscriptions regardless of their location.

They need to renegotiate the deals with the carriers and allow fans to purchase standalone subscriptions regardless of their location.
Hopefully Pac-12 comes in the next wave of YouTube TV with the privately owned networks (if they are actually added).

I guess he should have put together a better deal then.

Again, rather than go back and forth on this, please tell me what ol' Larry has done to earn an extension? Usually job performance dictates things like this and I can't come up with any feathers in the cap for Scott.
I think they are satisfied with his vision and clearly happy owning 100% of the network since they turned down the deal with AT&T. I just think people push for change just for the sake of change when the new commissioner would be faced with the same issues and lack of leverage.

I feel your pain, Randy. I have found bigger restaurants and bars and one smaller one that I can go watch the games around where I live, or since I have Dish I can watch at home. Before I had Dish, though, I had to scramble to watch.

However, isn't ripping Larry Scott the same as ripping Roger Goodell, in a sense? They are the face of the conference/league, but they are basically just puppets for the Pac 12 Presidents and NFL owners.

Two scenarios at play here:
1) The University Presidents are a bunch of dim witted idots asleep at the switch and have no idea how bad of a job Larry is doing. They just did the conference a massive injustice.
2) Internet posters don't have full visibility to everything Larry is doing to benefit the league nor the challenges he has faced, and this should be viewed as a wake up call to this reality.

The truth is, as usual, somewhere in between. I personally think it is closer to #2 than #1, though.

Last edited:
Larry Scott needs to get us on DirecTV Now, Playstation Vue, and YouTube.

I would also get rid of the regional model for PACN. Instead, sell the overflow to local markets. In Colorado, Altitude and the CW would probably love to buy any CU games not on PACN.

Also, shouldn't the Pac-12 be looking into a Spanish language network? Not only does the western US have a large Spanish speaking population, it would be a very big deal if we could get distribution in Mexico and Latin/South America. That makes more sense to me than the Asia strategy (which always seemed more about supporting the academic side by advertising for graduate school applications than it seemed about a network profit & growth strategy - not that I'd drop that, but there's only so far things are going to go with the Alibaba Group deal for PACN distribution while Latin America distribution has a much more likely upside).

In 2014 it was sometimes easier to watch a USC game in Colorado than in LA!!! SoCal is a bigger market segment for PAC12 alumni and fans than the rest of the PAC12 footprint combined! Provider adoption has gotten better over the past three years in the region, but subscription rates/provider hasn't. At least as of 2015, more homes in LA get the BTN than the PAC12 network because it is bundled with sports packages. You have to separately subscribe to PAC12N.

All that said, this isn't really a Larry Scott problem. Like folks mentioned, Scott has taken deals to the Universities and they have rejected them. He is actually a pretty innovative dude. The big problem is that the PAC12N is conceived as a extension of the universities, not as a business. Therefore it sucks at business.

Last edited:
Back