What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Larry Scott not happy with Bruce Benson

It's hard to respond to one someone who threatens you with allying with a megalomaniac. C'mon you guys can't with a straight face post dozens of messages proclaiming that Texass is the anti-Christ and then post that you'd fall at their feet and help blow yourself up instead of being a stand-up citizen of the conference that saved you from their clutches.

You guys just lack some confidence. Go out there and beat up CSU and Fraud State and we'll all feel better in the morning.
Nice deliberate misunderstanding so you didn't have to address the point. I wasn't saying that CU would do it. We know better, or at least, our current administration does. However, I was putting us in the group because I wanted to highlight for you that if you throw a bunch of teams into Texas's orbit, even long time members like ASU, their loyalties will change.

It's hard to respond to one someone who threatens you with allying with a megalomaniac. C'mon you guys can't with a straight face post dozens of messages proclaiming that Texass is the anti-Christ and then post that you'd fall at their feet and help blow yourself up instead of being a stand-up citizen of the conference that saved you from their clutches.

You guys just lack some confidence. Go out there and beat up CSU and Fraud State and we'll all feel better in the morning.

Ah ha! The trap was on us! I knew those Cal guys were intellectually superior!

Though, thankful to the conference that saved us, you can't also believe we wouldn't take a lesson from history.

Dedicate yourself to the football forum on Shaggybevo for a few days and then get back to us.

Nice deliberate misunderstanding so you didn't have to address the point. I wasn't saying that CU would do it. We know better, or at least, our current administration does. However, I was putting us in the group because I wanted to highlight for you that if you throw a bunch of teams into Texas's orbit, even long time members like ASU, their loyalties will change.

Cal84,

Texas did the same thing to the old Big 8 schools when they were going against Nebraska in the meeting rooms.

Look at the positives...you get more access to Texas and when you are not in Texas, you can still do Arizona recruiting as well. How can that not be a win for any Pac-8 team?

Good example of my previous point is Oklahoma and OSU. As soon as they were in the Big 12 south, they became UT's lapdogs.

Cal84,

Texas did the same thing to the old Big 8 schools when they were going against Nebraska in the meeting rooms.

Look at the positives...you get more access to Texas and when you are not in Texas, you can still do Arizona recruiting as well. How can that not be a win for any Pac-8 team?

They always forget to tell you how gamed the recruiting system is in Texas with many of the top schools wired for certain programs.

The biggest two differences between California and Texas are 1. as was previously posted, football holds and entirely different place in Texas culture. In California football is a part of life, in Texas it is life. And 2. In California no one school dominates and in fact loyalties are fairly widely divided between U$C, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, and even some of the non-PAC schools. In Texas the power and influence centers on and comes from Austin, they decide and everyone else kisses their ring and says yes sir, may I have another.

I understand the financial potential of UT, I just don't think that the price is worth what you get and if UT joins the PAC the west coast members will eventually wish it hadn't happened.

Ah ha! The trap was on us! I knew those Cal guys were intellectually superior!

Though, thankful to the conference that saved us, you can't also believe we wouldn't take a lesson from history.

Dedicate yourself to the football forum on Shaggybevo for a few days and then get back to us.

Or just listen to Mack Brown for 5 minutes (if you have the stomach).

Here is a quote that illustrates the point perfectly.

lifted from bevo

OK, I'll take your PAC-16 East, and you digest my LHN, lock stock and barrel.

I get the California school rivalries. But guess what, NONE of those games are "The Games" on each school's calendar. USC-Cal, USC-Tree and UCLA-Cal, UCLA-Tree are akin to Texas and Arkansas... or Nebraska and Oklahoma.... sure, they are/were huge fixtures, but they are not immovable objects and they ARE NOT the same as TX-OU, michigan-ohio state, the cocktail party, etc... in the PAC, Cal-Tree, USC-UCLA, and the Civil War are the immovable objects, and the arrogance that suggest otherwise is equally shared in Berkeley and on the Peninsula.

I wonder how the LA schools might vote on such a proposition.... hmmm... keep our norcal games annually, or get in to Texas for recruiting..... hmmm....

I have EXTREME respect for Stanford and Cal. I never could have sniffed admission to either. They are national assets on par with the Ivys. But they are not the only pussy for sale here (CIC) and from a football perspective, they have stadiums that are half-sized and have very little weight to push around when it comes to the metrics that matter in this football-driven discussion.

It's time for Deloss & Powers to start calling some bluffs here. No one who gets Texas gets to have their cake and eat it too. Negotiation and concession are two-way streets.

There's a reason why the schools in the old P10 aren't fearing that scenario and there's a reason why you are. Recent experience. Like I've said, the Four Stoogies enter under the same rules as everyone else or they don't enter.

Lemme splain' somethin to you. You need to understand how Texas works. First, they play nice. "Oh, yeah. We'll do whatever it takes to be a good conference partner". Meanwhile, they're looking for any possible advantage they can find. You are saying "it won't matter, there's a counter-balance in the Pac". Wrong. There's no counterbalance. It is a myth. A falacy. A pipe dream. You might say "I trust Larry Scott". Guess what? I do too, but he's not going to be around forever. Once he's gone, the UT machine goes into overdrive. They end up putting up their guy, and the next thing you know - the conference is theirs. You think I'm kidding. You think I'm making this up. You think there's no way this can happen to the Pac, the most venerable of conferences. Never. Think again. I'm telling you this because I care. I LIKE the Pac 12. I love it, in fact. I don't want to see it destroyed. Believe me when I tell you this - UT kills conferences. It's what they do. They have no affinity for this conference any more than the other two they have wrecked. If allowed into the Pac, THEY WILL KILL IT. Of this there can be no doubt. Don't for a second think that this situation is different. It's not.

Lemme splain' somethin to you. You need to understand how Texas works. First, they play nice. "Oh, yeah. We'll do whatever it takes to be a good conference partner". Meanwhile, they're looking for any possible advantage they can find. You are saying "it won't matter, there's a counter-balance in the Pac". Wrong. There's no counterbalance. It is a myth. A falacy. A pipe dream. You might say "I trust Larry Scott". Guess what? I do too, but he's not going to be around forever. Once he's gone, the UT machine goes into overdrive. They end up putting up their guy, and the next thing you know - the conference is theirs. You think I'm kidding. You think I'm making this up. You think there's no way this can happen to the Pac, the most venerable of conferences. Never. Think again. I'm telling you this because I care. I LIKE the Pac 12. I love it, in fact. I don't want to see it destroyed. Believe me when I tell you this - UT kills conferences. It's what they do. They have no affinity for this conference any more than the other two they have wrecked. If allowed into the Pac, THEY WILL KILL IT. Of this there can be no doubt. Don't for a second think that this situation is different. It's not.

i was sitting next to derek morris on this united flight out of dallas. he had the headphones on and he was kicking it to some countin' crows. but, after awhile we got to talking about football and stuff. he's a big fan of dan hawkins. and, he can't wait until ut is in the p16 (eastern division). he was talking about how lucky the other schools would be to be with ut.

Here is a quote that illustrates the point perfectly. lifted from bevo...

Then we wave bye-bye to them. And if the Colorado contingent wants to wave with a single finger, then that's just the way it goes. Texas comes in under the same rules as everyone else or they don't come in. They can see if they get a better bid from B1G. They won't. As I've said before, I give it only a 20-30% chance that Texas climbs down and agrees to such terms - even if the Okies head west. It's just going to be very hard for them to admit right away that their era of local dominance is giving way to a national marketplace where many entities will compete.

But eventually they will come around. They really don't have a choice. Their monopoly on Texas recruits is ending. The midgets from the BigEast have already burrowed their way in. The SEC is next. And if the Okies go west, the P14 teams will be all over North Texas. Hell, Cal already pulls a couple of Texans each year. The only viable long run recruiting strategy once the marketplace goes national is to counterattack. You can not simply defend your own turf which would be the Texas recruiting strategy if they go indy. LHN is a nice recruiting tool in Texas, but it simply isn't going to be carried nationally and is of little use in that regard. So it may take a few years, but the writing is on the wall. You guys wring your hands about Texas dominance, but the reality is that their protected marketplace is getting cracked open for everyone to loot from. It is the exact OPPOSITE of Texas dominance because as big as Texas is, its economy is still a tiny fraction of the national economy. And it is that weight of the larger regional economies outside Texas that is propelling the SEC, P12 and yes even the rats of the Big East to be able to break open the Texas recruit market.

I still don't think you get it. They may "claim" to be OK with coming in under our conditions. The second they're in, they start to try to change the rules. And they keep trying until they actually do change the rules. They're relentless. Like the Terminator. The only way to keep that from happening is to KEEP THEM THE F**K OUT. I can't emphasize this enough.

tu is a both a virus and a conference killer. SWC, check. Big 12, check. Coming soon, ACC/Big Least or Pac. Just say no.

I still don't think you get it. They may "claim" to be OK with coming in under our conditions. The second they're in, they start to try to change the rules. And they keep trying until they actually do change the rules. They're relentless. Like the Terminator. The only way to keep that from happening is to KEEP THEM THE F**K OUT. I can't emphasize this enough.

i think one of the clearest proof points on this matter was mentioned in another thread. for our cal visitor: the big 8 consisted of CU, neb, ou, okie state, kjuco st, ksu, isu, and mizzery. national championships in football had been won by CU and nu. both were considered to be nationally important programs (the fuskers more than CU, of course). when the swc blew itself up, ut had no home. it came begging to the big 8. the big 8 only wanted to go to 10 teams so they extended invites to ut and atm. the texas governor (a baylor grad) and the legislature got involved and threatened to kill the move unless tech and baylor got to come as well. the b8 conceded the point. this was the first of an epic series of concessions. by the end, the CU and nu programs were a shell of their former glory. all league operations and management were run by texans. the conf. championship was permanently housed in texas. the league offices were in texas. and, then ut wanted even more unequal revenue sharing. and they wanted the rules changed so that it wouldn't be north v. south in the championship game (thereby setting up, in their minds, an ou v. ut championship game nearly every year).

CU balked at this. CU had been one of the founders of the b12. nu balked at this. each had the pride, tradition, and ability to seek greener pastures.

there are very good reasons why folks don't care for the texas schools, especially ut.

People in the Pac 12 need to understand that Texass is the equivalent of introducing HIV in a football conference. The other conference members look at texAss like a super hot girl at the bar where they can't see past the fact that she's a nasty whore and they will regret it afterward. So as a group they say "look at that potential, we can manage this," when they actually have no clue as to the hidden, insidious, long term side affects.

The conference decides to hook up with the whore and everything is cool for a while. A couple of years later the conference starts experiencing constant nagging issues. Nothing that looks uncontrollable, just constant nagging pains. Larry Scott, like the proper meds, might be able to hold the progression at bay for a while, but as soon as he retires the disease attacks no holds barred.

Texass will never stop trying to control the conference they are in; the attacks will be a combination of deviance, lies and flat out arrogance claiming they deserve control. When Texass calls, JUST SAY NO!!!

They don't see it sacky. Pride cometh before the fall. We know this story. Sad to see history repeat itself. If the pac was refusing to take OSU and TT, I might think we had a shot. but a 4 team block is strong enough to throw around enough weight to really change things over time. Dooom. :sad1:

They don't see it sacky. Pride cometh before the fall. We know this story. Sad to see history repeat itself. If the pac was refusing to take OSU and TT, I might think we had a shot. but a 4 team block is strong enough to throw around enough weight to really change things over time. Dooom. :sad1:

I really would hate to see the Pac-12 schools learn the hard way.

The good news is that the split revenue stuff has been already agreed on and the new schools will have to agree to that or they don't get invited. Plus imagine UT trying to preach to the four CA schools plus UW about academics.

Fine. We concede to their desire for additional exposure to the California market by forcing them to play the season opener against UCLA each year. Thereby starting them off at 0-1.

Seriously people, eventually you realize that you either confront a bully head on, or hide from him forever. We have assembled an alliance far greater in strength than the bully's and yet you still want to hide. Every year that passes Texas' position gets weaker, not stronger. Just compare this year vs. last. Last year they were only dealing with the possibility of the P10 invading their space. This year it's the BigEast, SEC and P12. Even with LHN their competitive position is weaker. The fact that the Whorns don't realize this will in all probability propel them into indy status where they will only continue to get weaker. Fine, we'll take them over then. Have some faith in the allies you selected to join - you were willing to do this trade last year what's changed now? All the changes are in OUR favor. Last year there would have been five Stooges (OU/OSU/Texass/TT/TAMU), now they are going to be even more outnumbered at 4. If Texas goes indy, next year we could pick them up with only three, dumping TT.

Would it make you feel any better if we made Colorado the chair of a secret sub-committee that reported only to Larry to monitor Texas' activities?! Ummm, wait, forget I said anything publicly about that...

Just buck up buckeroo. It's gonna be OK. Celebrate the fact that last year you joined the side that is on the attack, not on the defense.

Fine. We concede to their desire for additional exposure to the California market by forcing them to play the season opener against UCLA each year. Thereby starting them off at 0-1.

Seriously people, eventually you realize that you either confront a bully head on, or hide from him forever. We have assembled an alliance far greater in strength than the bully's and yet you still want to hide. Every year that passes Texas' position gets weaker, not stronger. Just compare this year vs. last. Last year they were only dealing with the possibility of the P10 invading their space. This year it's the BigEast, SEC and P12. Even with LHN their competitive position is weaker. The fact that the Whorns don't realize this will in all probability propel them into indy status where they will only continue to get weaker. Fine, we'll take them over then. Have some faith in the allies you selected to join - you were willing to do this trade last year what's changed now? All the changes are in OUR favor. Last year there would have been five Stooges (OU/OSU/Texass/TT/TAMU), now they are going to be even more outnumbered at 4. If Texas goes indy, next year we could pick them up with only three, dumping TT.

Would it make you feel any better if we made Colorado the chair of a secret sub-committee that reported only to Larry to monitor Texas' activities?! Ummm, wait, forget I said anything publicly about that...

Just buck up buckeroo. It's gonna be OK. Celebrate the fact that last year you joined the side that is on the attack, not on the defense.

You are thinking short term, we are thinking long. UT could be defeated this year, or next year, or even 5 years from now. They. Will. Not. Stop. This isn't some childhood bully who graduates after a few years. Once UT is in, they will be here forever. And this isn't a bully you can change with a beat down. Equality is anathema to them. It is a cultural difference. The status quo will be nudged and nudged and nudged until you don't recognize it anymore.

Have you seen the South park where Cartman gets trained by the dog whisperer? It is very instructive. First, Cartman ruins every nanny that comes his way (SWC, Big12). Then, the dog whisperer comes (Larry Scott). Cartman's mom = Cali block. He whips Cartman right into shape. Cartman tries to get his friends to kill him, but Cesar Millan keeps winning. Eventually, Cartman gives up. He does his homework (agrees to play fair), loses weight (agrees to equal 3d tier revenue distribution), and then, his job accomplished, the Cesar leaves. Now, what the hell happens when Cesar doesn't want to go butterfly friday night (LS moves on)?

Thats right, Cartman's inner nature comes back to the fore and its back to the same old ****. Not one, but TWO Mega-Ranger action figures. UT will get its ****ing Mega-Ranger action figures someday, and it will ****ing suck.

For edification: http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s10e07-tsst

Last edited:

We are not trying to hide here and we understand that the Pac-12 schools are on our side...the issue is fairness for ALL schools not just one half of the conference. If the fairness is not achieved, the conference can easily collaspe...just look at the Big 12 right now.

Don't underestimate the possibility of the East schools breaking off and forming a new conference with San Diego State & Frenso State which will be harmful to the Pac-8 schools in recruiting and prestige because they will have to possibly admit Boise State as a future conference member.

That is why the 3-2-2-2 scheduling format is the best thing for the conference.

Another analogy would be the Borg (not to get too geeky), assimilation is inevitable and assured.

Then we wave bye-bye to them. And if the Colorado contingent wants to wave with a single finger, then that's just the way it goes. Texas comes in under the same rules as everyone else or they don't come in. They can see if they get a better bid from B1G. They won't. As I've said before, I give it only a 20-30% chance that Texas climbs down and agrees to such terms - even if the Okies head west. It's just going to be very hard for them to admit right away that their era of local dominance is giving way to a national marketplace where many entities will compete.

But eventually they will come around. They really don't have a choice. Their monopoly on Texas recruits is ending. The midgets from the BigEast have already burrowed their way in. The SEC is next. And if the Okies go west, the P14 teams will be all over North Texas. Hell, Cal already pulls a couple of Texans each year. The only viable long run recruiting strategy once the marketplace goes national is to counterattack. You can not simply defend your own turf which would be the Texas recruiting strategy if they go indy. LHN is a nice recruiting tool in Texas, but it simply isn't going to be carried nationally and is of little use in that regard. So it may take a few years, but the writing is on the wall. You guys wring your hands about Texas dominance, but the reality is that their protected marketplace is getting cracked open for everyone to loot from. It is the exact OPPOSITE of Texas dominance because as big as Texas is, its economy is still a tiny fraction of the national economy. And it is that weight of the larger regional economies outside Texas that is propelling the SEC, P12 and yes even the rats of the Big East to be able to break open the Texas recruit market.

Cal I think you missed the better point of the shaggy post. Yes if they dont play ball with the network then they cant come...that is a given. The more telling part of that post is here
I have EXTREME respect for Stanford and Cal. I never could have sniffed admission to either. They are national assets on par with the Ivys. But they are not the only pussy for sale here (CIC) and from a football perspective, they have stadiums that are half-sized and have very little weight to push around when it comes to the metrics that matter in this football-driven discussion.

This is the attitude of texas. They do not respect you or anyone else and they believe that they are gods gift to football. They will always feel this way and they will always try to exploit the fact that Cal and every other conference member that "has very little weight to push around". They are also very good at this.

I really would hate to see the Pac-12 schools learn the hard way.

The good news is that the split revenue stuff has been already agreed on and the new schools will have to agree to that or they don't get invited. Plus imagine UT trying to preach to the four CA schools plus UW about academics.

Exactly. We warn because we care.

Making a deal with UT is like trying meth. You just don't do it. Not even once. We really don't want all those nice hot Cali girls end up toothless, emaciated and picking at scabs on their arms while they lay on the floor in a puke stained burnt orange t-shirt while UT drives away with a pocket full of cash...

If you thought UT could be contained in the Little12/10, then that was frankly foolish. Money is what drives dominance in the long run and Texas' economy is 5x the nearest competitor (Colorado) in the Little10. That drives TV dollars and no wonder you couldn't contain them. But guess what? California's economy is 50% bigger than Texas'. Zero chance they will dominate a P16. Zero chance the conference HQ will move out of Walnut Creek, CALIFORNIA.

And although you may not want to admit it, Colorado knows this too. That's why you guys agreed to join the P10/16. You knew we were inviting the Four Stooges and despite your bad experiences with some of them, you approved of the expansion and still joined us. You did that because you looked at the P10, saw that it had a history of fair business dealings between its members and trusted that would continue even with Texass in the conference. And so it will be. Texass will not get an invite if it wants special treatment.

How many of these Cal schools regularly sell out their 105K seat stadiums, fill their rosters with 5* recruits on junior day, enjoy a 7,437 square foot HD scoreboard and rake in $122M annually in athletic department revenue? How many of these Cal schools schedule 7 home games and can play well into October without leaving their own state?

How many of these Cal schools have a former board member of Enron as their president? If you had pension money in CalPERS or suffered from rolling black outs as Pacific Gas & Light user around the turn of the millenium, you might e acquainted with how effective UT president William Powers can be when screwing with California. DeLoss Dodd and the whole Longhorn posse are bad, bad news.

Let's take a tally of how many conferences UT has destroyed. Southwest Conference - free Trans Ams, brief cases full of cash, and plenty of cocaine = Television ban. All trying to keep up with Texas.

The Big 12 - overextended schools in the wake of the facilities arms race. Consider TTU, OSU, A&M and OU borrowed close to a billion dollars between them to upgrade their stadiums, build palatial athletic complexes, and pay coaches outrageous seven figure salaries. Ask Mike Leach, T Boone Pickens or Aggie about what it's like to borrow and spend to keep competitive with the Longhorns. Ask any B12 north member what it's like having B12 offices move to Dallas, along with the proposal for all CCG to be played in a "neutral" Cowboys Stadium. Ask about how easy it was to get B12 events or league offices outside of Texas.

Texas is a machine that only cares about one thing; Texas. UT thinks of themselves as a red blooded self-interested business that is merely portraying American values of competiton and survival of the fittest. UT is not some socialist conference partner that places the needs of the many over their own individual pursuits. With Texas, it's me, me, me, me, me. Neither Larry Scott nor a bunch of Pollyannas in the Pac can change those spots on Bevo.

This selfish UT mindset causes Texas to incessantly work every avenue available to continue to grow their already obscene wealth and expand their brand. Be it merchandising, media manipulation, foundation giving, facilities enhancements, recruiting, coaching salaries, scheduling, equipment, academic services, hospitality services, legal services, alumni outreach, ticket sales, travelling fans, barbeque pits...you name it; Texas seeks a competitive advantages and uses their power to effectively exploit and conquer.

Texas will never, never, never have loyalty to the Pac-16. It's simply not in their Lonestar DNA . UT does not go along and get along. "What starts [at Texas] Changes the World" is the university motto, and they walk that talk. They won't settle with being that kid that sits down and shuts up when those California kids are talking. They will punch California in the mouth, steal their lunch, take over league meetings, and slowly tilt the tables until they run the joint like a mob boss. (The whole while their 5-star recruits underachieve on the football field, typically losing to Oklahoma and ending up in secondary bowl...maybe)

Colorado has witnessed this behavior up close and personal for well over a decade. We know UT is high maintenance. Texas is nothing short of a cancer that distroys one conference before moving on to devour another. Rinse and repeat. Bye bye SWC. Bye bye B12. Whoever gets the privilege of UT's company next will become the next dead conference walking. (Schumpeter would be proud at UT's mastery of creative distruction as applied to college football.)

Sometimes it's not enough for a conference to learn from the experiences of others, wiser schools. Some posters insist on learning things the hard way. If Larry Scott and the California schools think they can control Texas and make them conform to P16 guiding principles, they would be wrong. Just because the P12 can handle those douchebags from Oregon and those leather faced hellraisers in Arizona, there should be no illusions that Texas might also be corraled by Cal, USC, Stanford and UCLA. UT takes craps that are bigger than Oregon. Texas crap is conference sized, and they have the network to prove it.

Unfornately, it appears the Longhorns are heading in our general direction. The time to take evasive maneuvers is now.

You have been warned. If the Texas Longhorns are invited to join the P16, they will screw up a good thing. Fact. Ignore this important membership advisory at your (and our) peril. If the Pac16 takes the Texas money road, they (we) are doomed to a meager and short-lived existence of greed, arrogance, and a giant sucking sound that ends in Austin.

Like any relationship with a high maintenance diva, the money is just not worth the drama.

How many of these Cal schools regularly sell out their 105K seat stadiums, fill their rosters with 5* recruits on junior day, enjoy a 7,437 square foot HD scoreboard and rake in $122M annually in athletic department revenue? How many of these Cal schools schedule 7 home games and can play well into October without leaving their own state?

How many of these Cal schools have a former board member of Enron as their president? If you had pension money in CalPERS or suffered from rolling black outs as Pacific Gas & Light user around the turn of the millenium, you might e acquainted with how effective UT president William Powers can be when screwing with California. DeLoss Dodd and the whole Longhorn posse are bad, bad news.

Let's take a tally of how many conferences UT has destroyed. Southwest Conference - free Trans Ams, brief cases full of cash, and plenty of cocaine = Television ban. All trying to keep up with Texas.

The Big 12 - overextended schools in the wake of the facilities arms race. Consider TTU, OSU, A&M and OU borrowed close to a billion dollars between them to upgrade their stadiums, build palatial athletic complexes, and pay coaches outrageous seven figure salaries. Ask Mike Leach, T Boone Pickens or Aggie about what it's like to borrow and spend to keep competitive with the Longhorns. Ask any B12 north member what it's like having B12 offices move to Dallas, along with the proposal for all CCG to be played in a "neutral" Cowboys Stadium. Ask about how easy it was to get B12 events or league offices outside of Texas.

Texas is a machine that only cares about one thing; Texas. UT thinks of themselves as a red blooded self-interested business that is merely portraying American values of competiton and survival of the fittest. UT is not some socialist conference partner that places the needs of the many over their own individual pursuits. With Texas, it's me, me, me, me, me. Neither Larry Scott nor a bunch of Pollyannas in the Pac can change those spots on Bevo.

This selfish UT mindset causes Texas to incessantly work every avenue available to continue to grow their already obscene wealth and expand their brand. Be it merchandising, media manipulation, foundation giving, facilities enhancements, recruiting, coaching salaries, scheduling, equipment, academic services, hospitality services, legal services, alumni outreach, ticket sales, travelling fans, barbeque pits...you name it; Texas seeks a competitive advantages and uses their power to effectively exploit and conquer.

Texas will never, never, never have loyalty to the Pac-16. It's simply not in their Lonestar DNA . UT does not go along and get along. "What starts [at Texas] Changes the World" is the university motto, and they walk that talk. They won't settle with being that kid that sits down and shuts up when those California kids are talking. They will punch California in the mouth, steal their lunch, take over league meetings, and slowly tilt the tables until they run the joint like a mob boss. (The whole while their 5-star recruits underachieve on the football field, typically losing to Oklahoma and ending up in secondary bowl...maybe)

Colorado has witnessed this behavior up close and personal for well over a decade. We know UT is high maintenance. Texas is nothing short of a cancer that distroys one conference before moving on to devour another. Rinse and repeat. Bye bye SWC. Bye bye B12. Whoever gets the privilege of UT's company next will become the next dead conference walking. (Schumpeter would be proud at UT's mastery of creative distruction as applied to college football.)

Sometimes it's not enough for a conference to learn from the experiences of others, wiser schools. Some posters insist on learning things the hard way. If Larry Scott and the California schools think they can control Texas and make them conform to P16 guiding principles, they would be wrong. Just because the P12 can handle those douchebags from Oregon and those leather faced hellraisers in Arizona, there should be no illusions that Texas might also be corraled by Cal, USC, Stanford and UCLA. UT takes craps that are bigger than Oregon. Texas crap is conference sized, and they have the network to prove it.

Unfornately, it appears the Longhorns are heading in our general direction. The time to take evasive maneuvers is now.

You have been warned. If the Texas Longhorns are invited to join the P16, they will screw up a good thing. Fact. Ignore this important membership advisory at your (and our) peril. If the Pac16 takes the Texas money road, they (we) are doomed to a meager and short-lived existence of greed, arrogance, and a giant sucking sound that ends in Austin.

Like any relationship with a high maintenance diva, the money is just not worth the drama.

Skiddy, I'm the one who's supposed to be writing these length of post. You're treading on my turf man.:lol:

Good job. Can't argue with a single thing you wrote.

Texas is like the beautiful girl in the bar that looks hot, dances well, is fun to talk to, then gives you the untreatable clap. You convince yourself that the risk is worth it and by the time you figure out the truth it is to late.

Back