What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Larry Scott: Texas declines Pac 10 invite.

Great for us, but I still don't get it.
Why on earth would KU, KSU, ISU, MU, BU, Tech, and OSU surrender any and all control of their future destiny to UT? And don't answer $$$$, I got it - it's too easy and the little 7 are still making $10M less than UT, OU and aTm, which is now a BIGGER difference than before!

You answered your own question with that list of schools. KU is the only one with real options if the Big 12 broke up entirely.

It would be hilarious if the Big 12 north all left for the MWC, in a equal refenue sharing deal, and landed a comperable contract to what they are making now, then leave all the Texas schools on their own. MWC is showing to be much more stable than the big 12 right now, makes me regret some of the words i said a few months ago

Basically, Texas is going where the money is. Best case scenario: UT gets caught in a huge scandal in the next few years, or Mack Brown leaves and they get ****ty, and UT drops to the bottom half of the conference in appearances and they lose a ton of $$.

Every other big 12 team just bent over. Wow. Prostitutes.

Best case scenario in my opinion is for Kansas or Mizzou to get a Big 10 invite.

Mizzou will be gone quicker than a dress on prom night if they get a Big 10 invite.

Are we sure the Pac 12 still gets its own network without UT and friends?

Why wouldn't they??? I think we have some kind of UT Stockholm Syndrome at work here. The Pac-12 will absolutely DESTROY the Big X in terms of TV markets served. DESTROY. We aren't joining the Sun Belt conference here, and with or without the mighty Bonghorns, the Pac-12 has an incredible amount to offer a TV network...

Why wouldn't they??? I think we have some kind of UT Stockholm Syndrome at work here. The Pac-12 will absolutely DESTROY the Big X in terms of TV markets served. DESTROY. We aren't joining the Sun Belt conference here, and with or without the mighty Bonghorns, the Pac-12 has an incredible amount to offer a TV network...

But the Pac-10 has been in the same "market" forever now. Why is their current TV contract so bad? The Big 12's previous TV contract was better than the Pac-10's. I do not think the addition of Colorado makes that tremendous of a market change for the Pac-10.

The MWC has its own TV network. Enough said. The question is whether the 12-Pac without UT can make **** tons of money on its TV network like the B10+1+1 does. With the population centers now in the 12-Pac, I don't see why they won't be able to follow the BTN's model and make a very lucrative TV network.

But the Pac-10 has been in the same "market" forever now. Why is their current TV contract so bad? The Big 12's previous TV contract was better than the Pac-10's. I do not think the addition of Colorado makes that tremendous of a market change for the Pac-10.

Agreed. Some analysts believe that CU and UU bring very little incremental value to the table for the PAC-10, for what it is worth.

It won't be quite as lucrative, but yes.

We have the following markets: (i'm sure I'm missing a few)

#2 - Los Angeles
#6 - Bay Area
#12 - Phoenix
#13 - Seattle
#16 - Denver
#28 - San Diego
(Pending Utah) #31 - Salt Lake

Those are a bunch of major TV markets, it still makes it profitable.

We would have gained:

#5 - Dallas
#10 - Houston
#37 - San Antonio
#48 - Austin

Why Colorado wins in this:

1. Drop Texas
2. We just basically added about +15 million viewers in the 12 Pac vs the big 12(10)(check population figures if you don't believe me). So yeah we are going to get paid once the contracts are renegotiated and in a few more years once the network is established.
3. Drop Texas.
4 We are in a united conference where we are valued.
5. Drop Texas.
6. We strengthen our primary recruiting ties.
7. We strengthen our academic standing.
8. We will also get an increase in revenue from our strengthened presence with our alumni base.
9. Travel destinations kick ass.
10. We maintain our dignity as a university and athletic program, because did I mention...
11. We drop the longwhorns.

Here's to the new 12-Pac!

The X-factor all of you are missing is the big10 network. I was the first real-big time network and it was forecast not to be profitable for almost a decade especially with it's massive revenue payouts to schools, and many people thought it would be an abject failure. Turns out they got the modeling wrong and that they were profitable in year 2 this means all the contracts that pre-dated the big10 contract were written under a regime that assumed one (significantly lower) revenue model for these networks. Now that this has been proven to be wrong all future contracts will be written with the big10 profitability model in mind and thus a much hire set of numbers. This is compound by the fact that the current Pac-10 deal does not include a Conference Championship which the big12 deal always has, as that is the marquee game of the year it almost single-handedly accounts for the difference between the two contracts when they were signed.

I am sure someone will note the current SEC deal at 17+/-MM a year per school, please keep in mind that they have a lot of local side media deals that allow schools to make money on top of the conference contract. This isn't the case in the Big10 and likely wouldn't be in the coming Pac12. Last year this rider was worth something like 5-10million for Georgia (I cant find the articles now but I've read that number in a few places some with it at the 5mm range and other at 10mm+).

I hopped on over to soonerfans to see what they're saying and they brought up a good point...

What if Beebe can't deliver on this huge TV contract? Does this whole thing start up again in 10-15 years?

Extra money would have been nice but I have a feeling that Texas declined because they would actually have to deal with an even playing field. I say **** them and the rest of the schools that bent over and took it in the ass from them. Those schools better get some lube because Texas looks out for Texas bottomline, so they should get used to it. CU made the right move here.

So the Big 12 schools might get a similar payday to what CU will get.

Who cares. I'd still rather be in the Pac-10 anyday. Watching this whole poker game in Texas and Oklahoma seals the deal for me. CU did things right throughout this whole situation, and seized the opportunity when it was there.

The Pac had to know that it was a risk going after the TX/OK schools, and probably some members didn't even want to compromise with Tech and Okie Lite. So they still have Utah in their back pocket to get a CCG and some extra cash, which makes the Utes valuable enough to bring to the table.

I've never felt Mizzou would be worth anything to the Big Ten, but now I am rooting for them to get an invite.

This whole thing came to a head for a reason, fill in the blanks. UT is trying to serve UT. They said they can get a tv deal and help the other schools. Only part they are missing is UT will want more when the stakes get raised, they could give a **** about anyone else. It will never be even, they will get the best of it in some way, shape, or form. They better enjoy it while it lasts because I have a feeling this will happen again sooner rather than later. I couldnt be more happy that CU did what was best for CU, **** Texas.

Last edited:
I hopped on over to soonerfans to see what they're saying and they brought up a good point...

What if Beebe can't deliver on this huge TV contract? Does this whole thing start up again in 10-15 years?

try 3-5

I can't tell you why their TV deal sucks. Maybe their former commissioner sucked. But that doesn't change the fact that the conference will contain LA, SF, Phoenix, Seattle and Denver. 6 of the top 16 TV markets in the country. And the deputy commissioner is the guy who put together the Big Ten Network. Sounds like pretty good reasons to think the Pac-12 can put together some major TV money.

And then there's the deal the Big XII Lite claims they can land:

“– Beebe has secured information that enough money could be inked in its next TV negotiation (in 2011) that revenues per school would jump from between $7 million and $10 million in the Big 12 currently to $17 million beginning in 2012, which is what the SEC pays out.

Now, care to tell me where Dan Beebe-Dodds is going to come up with this magical $17 million a year per team TV deal he promised the sheep to keep them in the Big X? You might not think Denver is a major market of ****braska is a TV draw, but I doubt that accounts for their absence letting the conference double (or more) the revenue they are earning on a deal signed only 3 years ago. An especially neat trick when the only TV deal they have expiring before 2016 is the Fox regional cable deal. The ABC/ESPiN deal kicks in $60 million a year. That's $6 million a team. Maybe Fox is going to kick in $11 million a year. Maybe they're going to earn that off a cable network (even though even the Big Ten/Eleven/Twelve isn't earning much more than half that per team at this point). Or maybe Beebe-Dodds is just talking out his ass, selling the story UT wants in order to set themselves up for their own network in the only league that would be their bitch enough to let it happen

Thissounds a bit more trustworthy to me:

Texas, individually, is also exploring its own television network.

"UT has done its due diligence on this. They've been looking at it for years. They've got a great number of large markets in which they are the No. 1 team," said A.J. Maestas, president of Navigate Marketing, a Chicago-based firm whose services include helping colleges assess the potential value of marketing and media rights.

Texas' multimedia rights partner is IMG College, a division of IMG, a global sports, entertainment, management, marketing and TV behemoth. "IMG is ready to move on a network," Maestas said. "Texas knows what's feasible, and Texas really knows what it's worth."

However, he called the projected average annual TV splits of $20 million for Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M, with the other schools getting $14 million-$17 million each, "too high, just not realistic."

"Now, who knows? Maybe they can break the mold and come up with a model nobody's seen."

His firm projects an average annual total of $135 million a year for the 10 schools.

That's $13.5 million a year per school. And UT (and to a lesser extent maybe OU or aTm) will carve out the lion's share of that. If I'm ISU or Bailer I'm not rushing out and spending the great new windfall I'm going to get from Beebe's mythical TV windfall.... :lol:

I can't tell you why their TV deal sucks. Maybe their former commissioner sucked. But that doesn't change the fact that the conference will contain LA, SF, Phoenix, Seattle and Denver. 6 of the top 16 TV markets in the country. And the deputy commissioner is the guy who put together the Big Ten Network. Sounds like pretty good reasons to think the Pac-12 can put together some major TV money.
The current Pac 10 TV deal sucks because its ancient. The Big 10 deal (three years old) was worlds ahead of anything before. The new Pac 10 deal will be in the same ballpark as Big 10/SEC/ACC, as we have all those Cali TVs plus Denver TVs plus a helluva businessman in Larry Scott running the negotiations.

Just long enough to secure $20M worth of early termination fees from CU and Nebraska.

My friend brought up the following:

"I feel like I'm missing something. So the Big Texas, Oklahoma, A+M are going to conservatively make $20MM. The other 7 schools will make conservatively $14MM. Add that up and you get $158 million. Currently, the Big 12 makes $78MM, the deal they struck while CU and Nebraska were in the conference. So losing two schools, including the Denver market and the rabid Nebraska folk more than doubles the deal?"

The world where Beeble math works must be a wonderful place filled with unicorns that fart money.

2 points to ponder:

1) why woould anybody think or assume that if Texas (far and away the leading team in the new bigXII in both revenues and fan support--probably top 3 in the NCAA as well) has their own network that Bebee will be able to negotiate a better TV deal. Look at the Big 10s deal, their actual non-BTN TV deal isn't very good because that network is the main viewing source for Big 10 teams. So when UT creates the Whorn network, it will take a large chunk of Big 12 viewers out of the mix and devalue the overall big 12 TV contract. So UT will come out of it well with everybody else getting stuck in a **** deal. I could be wrong here, but it makes sense to me

2) I know this is as close to an impossibility as you can get, but would it not be hilarious if CU came in to this big 12 season and ended up big 12 champs right before exiting (don't hate, i know its impossible but it would be hilarious and at this point a wet dream)...it would give big tex, OU, and all those other assholes a big **** you! But then again that would keep juicebox around...i digress.

Outstanding. We get to the Pac 10, without UT and their dingleberries. Some $$$ is surely left on thable, but for CU this is the best outcome possible.

UT, as I and others suggested many times, was not about to share the spotlight with the likes of Oregon and SC, travel 1200-1300 miles and no longer be **** of the walk in their backyard conference.

Back