What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Latest Big 10 Expansion Rumblings

Sportsfan101

According to Tom Dienhart, Big Ten expansion buzz has B10 adding Mizzou, Nebraska, Pitt, Rutgers and Syracuse. Then, splitting into 4 divisions:

1: Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers, Penn State
2: Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Minnesota
3: Ohio State, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois/NW
4: Mizzou, Iowa, Nebraska, NW/Illinois.

Wouldn't it be hysterical if B10 had a 4 team playoff to determine BCS participant???

According to Tom Dienhart, Big Ten expansion buzz has B10 adding Mizzou, Nebraska, Pitt, Rutgers and Syracuse. Then, splitting into 4 divisions:

1: Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers, Penn State
2: Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Minnesota
3: Ohio State, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois/NW
4: Mizzou, Iowa, Nebraska, NW/Illinois.

Wouldn't it be hysterical if B10 had a 4 team playoff to determine BCS participant???

The current NCAA rules make it clear that a conference can only split into TWO divisions to have their CCG be an "exempt" game (not count towards the maximum number of games, 12, per season). So technically they could divide into 4 divisions but every team in the conference would have to leave an open date for a potential divisional playoff round. In other words, not gonna happen.

The current NCAA rules make it clear that a conference can only split into TWO divisions to have their CCG be an "exempt" game (not count towards the maximum number of games, 12, per season). So technically they could divide into 4 divisions but every team in the conference would have to leave an open date for a potential divisional playoff round. In other words, not gonna happen.

They could have two eight-team divisions but schedule them like two four-team divisions on each side and then determine the winner via division record and tiebreaks.

That would also cripple the Big 12 if the Post story I just read came true as well. They'd lose us, NU and MU. Tough to find suitable replacements for three spots.

They could have two eight-team divisions but schedule them like two four-team divisions on each side and then determine the winner via division record and tiebreaks.

That would also cripple the Big 12 if the Post story I just read came true as well. They'd lose us, NU and MU. Tough to find suitable replacements for three spots.

I think the NCAA rule states each division champion must be determined via round-robin play.

The only hybrid that would work is something like the "pod" system the 16-team WAC used.

I still don't see Missouri as a viable Big Ten candidate. The BTN has already been placed on the expanded cable tier in St. Louis, netting the network the "prime" subscription rate for those subscribers. Adding Mizzou doesn't create enough incremental value from the status quo and they surely won't be a ratings giant in all the Big Ten markets.

If the Nubs can pass the academic hurdle, I think they are the only non-Notre Dame/Texas "slam dunk". While they might add 1 million TV sets (being generous) they add significant value from TV ratings perspective, and that is the only way that the BTN will remain on a top-tier cable package.

Missouri is a sleeping giant, IMO. They're the only D-1 school in the state, and are located smack dab between two major metropolitan areas. They already have a regional rivalry with Illinois, and their academics & athletics are pretty good. There's a lot of reasons why Missouri would be a good choice for the Big 10.

Of course, now that I say it, the exact same thing could be said about Rutgers, and I personally think they'd be a miserable addition to the Big 10. So what the hell do I know?

Missouri is a sleeping giant, IMO. They're the only D-1 school in the state, and are located smack dab between two major metropolitan areas. They already have a regional rivalry with Illinois, and their academics & athletics are pretty good. There's a lot of reasons why Missouri would be a good choice for the Big 10.

Of course, now that I say it, the exact same thing could be said about Rutgers, and I personally think they'd be a miserable addition to the Big 10. So what the hell do I know?

Tailgates.

Back