What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Latest Platitude

92Buff

I had a few minutes today and read the McCartney interview. Damn that guy can get me fired up to get back to Boulder. Too bad the season is still months away.

BTW...watch the video link at the bottom about the early McCartney years. That sure brings back some awesome memories.

Here is the link to the interview...Coach Mac

And here is his answer about making NU our main rival.

Q: Good segue, let’s talk about you declaring Nebraska as Colorado’s rival.

A: “When I got here, I had asked who was our rival. I had come from Michigan where we had Michigan State, but Ohio State was our real rival. I wanted to know who was Colorado’s. The truth was there really didn’t appear to be one, or anyone consistent. But the reason I chose Nebraska instead of Oklahoma is that Nebraska was more of a neighboring state, and in asking around town who was the team that people really wanted us to beat, they almost all said Nebraska. We built that into the fabric of our program, whether or not we can compete with Nebraska. They represented everything we were reaching for, including their coaching staff and Tom Osborne, who was a real gentleman and a first class guy. When we recruited, we tried to beat them. That first year, we played really hard against them.

(Editor’s Note: the recap of that first game has the following passage: Coach McCartney, prior to the game, declared Nebraska the team he would most like to beat. ‘Colorado really doesn’t have a natural rivalry with anybody in the Big Eight. So we’re picking Nebraska. From now on, they’re our rival,” he said. CU, losers in Lincoln 59-0 in 1981, was within 20-14 of the No. 7 Cornhuskers entering the fourth quarter before succumbing, 40-14.)

“All 13 times we played Nebraska when I was there we flat out went after them. It was more than just a game, we were measuring ourselves. That’s how you determine where you are, you measure yourself against the best. We wanted to run the football with the same authority as they did or better, we wanted to defend the run the way they did. They had gaudy statistics, we wanted to have those. It turned out to be a good barometer, a good bar to reach for. We told coaches if you’re coming here, we expect to have the same level of success that Nebraska had. In fairness to us, there was a six year stretch where we went 3-2-1 with them (1986-1991). Since then, they‘ve recently declined and Colorado hasn’t had the same success, but we had that stretch where we pulled it off. You achieve what you emphasize. It costs, but you can get it if you really want it.”

Back