What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Legacy...

BlackNGold

Club Member
The Hawkins Legacy is what Embree is trying overcome and the changes he is making is an attempt to break down that legacy. Under Hawkins losing was an acceptable outcome. Of course everyone wants to win but great competitors cannot stand losing and will do anything possible to avoid it. Under Hawkins the players were conditioned not to get down on themselves because they lost. I think this is the same thing that always caused Neuheisel problems, his teams do not dig down to win ( I always remember the "we lost focus getting off the bus" at Mizzou under RN).

Embree is now trying to push any and every button to reach that layer where players will themselves to victory...We saw this with Barnett in the 2000 season where he threatened to remove the decals from the helmets - everyone laughed but that 0-4 team went on the road and beat a heavily favored A&M team. When the 2001 season came around and they lost to Fresno State and if you went into the Buff locker room after that game those players and coaches were hurting,,,they really could not stand the thought of losing. We saw the same thing in 1986 (which, IMO, was the turnaround season for coach MAC) when over the course of the season you saw the team transform into something special (they were 6-6 but the NU win was one of the all time great games) that paved the way for the success in the late 80s and early 90s.

Embree will not be able to totally turn it around in one year and probably not within two years but it is a process and he will have to get his successes a little at a time. Yes, the talent has to be definitely upgraded but the overall attitude needs some adjustments also.

I think you are right, Coach Kool-Aid taught that it was OK to lose because you got to try next week....

I know the 2001 team had it drilled into them that you get better and win jobs in practice.

When that hit home with Jr his struggles to see the field ended

He ran lots of stadiums

That's a huge challenge, I guess it's up to the freshmen to instill a winning attitude - tall order.

That's a huge challenge, I guess it's up to the freshmen to instill a winning attitude - tall order.

It is not up to the Freshmen, it falls on the seniors to lead and set the example. That is what makes it difficult - the seniors have not been taught that way for the last several years.

He didn't get too high or too low. Really should have seized momentum after the OU win in 2007, but obviously that never happened. How about instead of being the bow you be the ****ing head coach you ass clown?

He didn't get too high or too low. Really should have seized momentum after the OU win in 2007, but obviously that never happened. How about instead of being the bow you be the ****ing head coach you ass clown?

Dan Hawkins is no longer the coach, bro.

Back