What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Legit question: Are we better than last year?

That was a brutal read but I just read through 6 pages of comments. My diognosis is yes we are definitely better, but MM is no miracle worker. last years team would have never won the first two games and the reason I know is because they didn't win the first 2 last year against lesser talent. We competed against Oregon in the first half despit the score and even Helfrich was frustrated. I saw Oregon in person this past weekend in Seattle and the Huskies are a damn good team, on offense as everyone knows, but ALSO on defense, and they could not stop Oregon. I realize this is not news, but our beatings have come to some damn good teams. OSU is turning out to be a good squad, we know about Oregon and ASU is nasty too, especially at home.

There is no possible way MM can get us close in those games minues OSU because I believe the 21 day layoff did hurt us a lot, we had some nice momentum and positive energy that was sucked out of us during all that time off. But he didn't have a full cycle to recruit and this team was pathetic last year, our lone win was total luck based on 2 plays where WSU blew coverage to a degree only seen in a Greg Brown coached defense. The long one to Kasa and the long run from Tony Jones, 2 plays that would never happen again 99 out of 100 times. Those two plays don't happen we get pounded there too.

Really hoping we keep competing at home and keep a couple of these games close. Arizona's QB can not throw the ball, we should focus on their all work running back and hope for the best, Cal has zero defense and we always play Utah tough. No idea what happnes with USC, their defense is huge, fast and physical and Sefo better not forget the extra rib pads. I do think we are better and that a staff needs a lot more than 5 games to bear it out.

Go Buffs! Shoulder to Shoulder. keep the faith.

CU is better. It is just really hard to see due to tough schedule and teams we have been playing. Installing a lot of freshmen that are better then previous recruits. We have to remind ourselves that this is a new offensive and defensive scheme these kids are learning. Coaches and players have only been together a few months / still getting to know each other.

Man, trying to keep my head up and positive while looking for the "little things".

I haven't read the whole thread so this may have been said already, but I see only slight improvements. Without P-Rich we could easily be winless. Likewise, with P-Rich in the lineup I think we would have beaten CSU and Sac State last year. Having said that, it's way too early to know whether this staff can turn things around. If Sefo is the real deal that will significantly speed up the process.

I thInk if the redshirt got pulled on Sefo sometime late In the fIrst half against OSU it Is a dIfferent game. Remember the defense and dropped passes kept us In that game the whole first half, but the offense could not do anything with the opportunities given to them.

I thInk if the redshirt got pulled on Sefo sometime late In the fIrst half against OSU it Is a dIfferent game. Remember the defense and dropped passes kept us In that game the whole first half, but the offense could not do anything with the opportunities given to them.
Good point. I agree and will add that our defense has really been hurting the offense the last couple of games for sure.

This may be true. The D hung in there very well against OSU until finally getting worn down in the second half with no help from the O. They also hung in there as best as they could against Oregon. The only really bad defensive game was against ASU.

Give them a little help from the offense and I think we could see some substantial improvement.

We are better than last year. Almost every team in the Pac-12 is better than last year too. So any improvement is not going to show up much on game days.

Ya know what is FRKIN Irking? I know a club like Louisville has a ton of athletes and plays athletic ball, but they have played absolutely nobody thus far! And they are in the conversation for the big dance or close to it. I have been tough on our progress thus far but I want to give a shout out to the conference and our team for at least having the metal to play real competition. Crap we might have a winning record against the schedule that LVILLE has played or it's equivalent.

Just sayin.... Ok I feel better now.

We are better than last year. Almost every team in the Pac-12 is better than last year too. So any improvement is not going to show up much on game days.

That's a good point. Other than Cal and $C, I don't know of anyone who hasn't improved, aside from 'furd, who might be a little worse, considering their last performance. Though I'm concerned that might be because of Utah. I'm gonna be pissed if Rice-Eccles becomes known as a really tough place to play in the Pac-12 before Folsom does.

Being competitive in conference play is a tall order. I'm not saying that to be flippant. The truth of the matter is that every other school (save for USC) has improved since last year. We could be better, but in comparison, we're still behind. We actually need other teams to regress for us to start being competitive. I don't see that happening anytime soon, I'm afraid. Maybe add Cal to that list as well. The other issue is that the few teams that we were closest to (WSU, OSU, UU) all got a lot better, while we just got a little better. It doesn't help us much to see Stanford slipping up. They have a long way to go before they need to worry about us. Same goes for USC, frankly.

OSU? OSU was a ranked team last year. They were even ranked coming into this year and will probably be ranked somewhere along the way.

OSU is a hell of a lot better than CU and has been for the past 10 years.

This may be true. The D hung in there very well against OSU until finally getting worn down in the second half with no help from the O. They also hung in there as best as they could against Oregon. The only really bad defensive game was against ASU.

Give them a little help from the offense and I think we could see some substantial improvement.

They gave up 755 yards to Oregon. The offense got them 10 points in the First Quarter and we were still down 29-10 at the end of one quarter. I don't call that hanging in there.

This "keeping it close" against UO is the same type of talk that Hawk Jr was going to win @Texas. It needs to stop.

They gave up 755 yards to Oregon. The offense got them 10 points in the First Quarter and we were still down 29-10 at the end of one quarter. I don't call that hanging in there.

We are better than last year, it would almost be impossible not to be. That said the only thing that kept Oregon from hanging 100 on us was Oregon deciding when to stop scoring. They could have frankly sat all their starters and still scored at will against us.

This "keeping it close" against UO is the same type of talk that Hawk Jr was going to win @Texas. It needs to stop.

:lol: Spot on. Just as the talk of "almost winning at Texas in '09" went away, a replacement has arisen.

The question of this thread is are we better than last year. My point is that yes, we are absolutely better than last year. The defense has only looked truly lost against ASU.

I think the players have been in much better position to make plays, but the talent gap is really hurting us.

If you didn't watch a game last year, then I don't know how you could even remotely think CU isn't better than last year.

Asu lost to a mediocre notre dame and got stomped by Stanford. The pac12 south is like the old big 12 north, at least now. UCLA looks like they are the only very strong team, but that QB is meh.

Tim will tell how good they really are: they can put up points, but their defense isn't good enough to win the pac12.

As I told B&G, this doesn't conflict with ASU being an upper middle PAC class. Oregon, Stanford and maybe UCLA are at the top, ASU and Oregon St are little below.

Funny. You used the same argument to tell me how much better Washington did than us, although in the end they were beaten by 3 TDs with roughly the same yardage that we had and gave up. I don't call either case "hanging in there."

Washington definitely "hung in there" with Oregon. That was still a game in the 4th quarter.

last year we made CSU look good. We're better this year. we still have a very long ways to go.

Definitely Better...slightly. We have played the 3 of the 5 best teams in the PAC 12 thus far and our Defense has had a hard time holding them in check. I think our Defense is better, but O is worse and as a result the D is warn out quicker. Overall I think a few things will pay dividends. We have gone through the toughest stretch of schedule, the farther we get from the Cancelled game the less to no negative impact it will have, injuries are down, Sefo will have ups and down but ups higher than Wood could have had.

True test for me will be if Mac's 2nd year shows improvement instead of the last coach that showed regression.

I was thinking maybe 10-15% better than last year, after seeing the CSU and CARK games. Now I'm thinking maybe 5% at most, maybe not at all. If you think about last year, we were 1-2 plays away from wins in the Sac State and Utah games, maybe even CSU. And we had some key injuries last year.

This year, we were 1-2 plays away from losing the CSU and CARK games. And we've had no injuries. And we're the laughing stock of the league again. I guess I just see a tiny, tiny bit of improvement, but overall we are just top to bottom awful. Charleston Southern is no given.
Well, would you rather have Embree and QB sneaks on first down? Dan Hawkins would even blush on that one against the Huskies.

Another sign of a better team is forcing turnovers, which is something we have done this year. We've got 7 interceptions so far compared to just 3 all of last year.

This game coming up against Arizona will go a long way towards answering the question at hand.

Back