What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Les Miles News

People will be surprised with how much CU is going to come up with to pay the next staff.

And bcs is onto something with Miles. His name has been creeping in more and more. And when people talk about Bohn wanting BCS head coaching experience, recruiting ability and making national headlines with the hire... Miles is a perfect fit. When you look for someone that would cause Mac and his supporters to graciously step aside and accept the hire... Miles is a perfect fit. When you read between the lines and try to figure out someone that Bohn could be talking to through back channels but would need to wait until the end of November to make official... Miles fits the profile.

If we can make this happen, we need to make it happen. Miles is the only guy out there who brings everything to the table.

Here's Miles' contract extension that stipulates that he's paid $1000 more than any other SEC coach, he's automatically extended a year when he wins 8 games in a season, and his buyout if LSU wants to terminate him has bumped to $1.825 million.per season left on the deal, and set the buyout if Miles terminates at $1.25 million (only applicable if he goes to Michigan). http://i.usatoday.net/sports/graphics/2009/coaches-contracts/pdf/miles_lsu.pdf

Because of Urban's new deal, that escalator clause has Miles' salary at over $3.25 million per season. Word is we can match that and still come up with $1 million combined for the 2 coordinators. I guess we'll see. That, imho, is the major stumbling block here.

People will be surprised with how much CU is going to come up with to pay the next staff.

And bcs is onto something with Miles. His name has been creeping in more and more. And when people talk about Bohn wanting BCS head coaching experience, recruiting ability and making national headlines with the hire... Miles is a perfect fit. When you look for someone that would cause Mac and his supporters to graciously step aside and accept the hire... Miles is a perfect fit. When you read between the lines and try to figure out someone that Bohn could be talking to through back channels but would need to wait until the end of November to make official... Miles fits the profile.

If we can make this happen, we need to make it happen. Miles is the only guy out there who brings everything to the table.

Here's Miles' contract extension that stipulates that he's paid $1000 more than any other SEC coach, he's automatically extended a year when he wins 8 games in a season, and his buyout if LSU wants to terminate him has bumped to $1.825 million.per season left on the deal, and set the buyout if Miles terminates at $1.25 million (only applicable if he goes to Michigan). http://i.usatoday.net/sports/graphics/2009/coaches-contracts/pdf/miles_lsu.pdf

Because of Urban's new deal, that escalator clause has Miles' salary at over $3.25 million per season. Word is we can match that and still come up with $1 million combined for the 2 coordinators. I guess we'll see. That, imho, is the major stumbling block here.

Bwhahahahahaaha... I am sorry, I totally spit coke out my nose when I read your comments that CU could come up with $5.25 million a season for 3 coaches. There's no way in hell CU can come up with that kind of money.

CU's next head coach will probably make about the same as Hawkins makes now.

Bwhahahahahaaha... I am sorry, I totally spit coke out my nose when I read your comments that CU could come up with $5.25 million a season for 3 coaches. There's no way in hell CU can come up with that kind of money.

He said $1 million combined for the 2 coordinators. Still, that's 4.25 million. I'd be shocked if we were willing to pay that much.

I don't see it. The dude isn't a good coach

How can you say that? He's won 70% of the games he's coached. He's coached in perhaps the two toughest conferences in college football, and on top of that, perhaps the two toughest DIVISIONS of college football. He's won a national championship. His team is currently 7-1.

I think he has done pretty well. Sure, he makes a coaching mistake every once in a while, but sometimes it is better to be lucky than good and historically luck has followed this guy.

That being said- I think he is one of those "pie-in-the-sky" candidates that CU realistically has no shot at.

$4.25

And it may not take that much if Miles will come for the $2.5 the LSU article suggests.

You're forgetting that Benson has pledged a bump in university funding of our AD to the tune of about an additional $8 million a year. Then we've got the new Pac-12 deal kicking in which will be a minimum of $4 million a year better than our current conference deal. Maybe I'm wrong, but everything I've heard suggests that we're going big with this hire.

How can you say that? He's won 70% of the games he's coached. He's coached in perhaps the two toughest conferences in college football, and on top of that, perhaps the two toughest DIVISIONS of college football. He's won a national championship. His team is currently 7-1.

I think he has done pretty well. Sure, he makes a coaching mistake every once in a while, but sometimes it is better to be lucky than good and historically luck has followed this guy.

That being said- I think he is one of those "pie-in-the-sky" candidates that CU realistically has no shot at.

I said it cause I can!

$4.25

And it may not take that much if Miles will come for the $2.5 the LSU article suggests.

You're forgetting that Benson has pledged a bump in university funding of our AD to the tune of about an additional $8 million a year. Then we've got the new Pac-12 deal kicking in which will be a minimum of $4 million a year better than our current conference deal. Maybe I'm wrong, but everything I've heard suggests that we're going big with this hire.

$4.25 is still a lot more than what CU has EVER paid.

CU is going to owe the Big 12 $6.8 million. The Pac-10 isn't going to give CU very much money this first year. We're going to have to pay Hawkins approximately (more or less) $2 million just to leave.

The money to pay a few coaches $4.25 million just isn't there, imo. Hopefully our boosters can prove me wrong.

$4.25 is a lot. And it's more than CU has shown in the past.

But CU used to be one of the higher paying jobs (beginning of the Barnett era). If the will is there, we can be again. In a way, we need to spend money to make money. The quickest way to get the newly re-connected west coast alumni to open their checkbooks is to hire a big name coach like Miles.

$4.25 is still a lot more than what CU has EVER paid.

CU is going to owe the Big 12 $6.8 million. The Pac-10 isn't going to give CU very much money this first year. We're going to have to pay Hawkins approximately (more or less) $2 million just to leave.

The money to pay a few coaches $4.25 million just isn't there, imo. Hopefully our boosters can prove me wrong.

Perhaps thats been part of CUs problems.

we need a total overhaul, especially if they bring a guy like miles in. you don't pay a hc that much and then just *hope* that everthing else will somehow work out. you can't make a bet like that and then surround him with guys who aren't proven. they'll need 2 really great coordinators, a nails staff that recruits on the west coast, and a ton more academic and administrative support. if they let miles get in half as many guys as Mac got in, we'll be able to get this turned around i think. reduce the academic hurdles, pay the coordinators and staff, improve the facilities and administrative support.

i will believe it when i see it.

the Mac story seems more real because they will try to cut corners (he'll be asked, i would think, to take less $, for example). or, the calhoun story (again, betting on an uproven guy who is cheaper)... or even the mcilwaine story (he only makes 700k as the oc at bama).

on the other hand, miles is a huge bet where they will just have to invest a lot.

I'm nervous about hiring a coach who wants the job in part because there's too much pressure at his current job. Still I'd take Miles a 1,000 times before hiring Calhoun.

He may make silly errors and have poor clock management, but if you can recruit top 10 classes your players will cover you ass a lot more than a sh**ty coach with a roster full of former walkons and 50th ranked classes.

When he was at OSU and CU came to town he spoke very fondly about his time in Boulder. He really seems to love the place. I could totally see it. LSU is full of insane people and my OSU contacts that still are connected to Les say he is definitely tired of the emotional abuse he and his family gets down there over one loss. CU fans might be demanding, but they'll respect a coach enough to not call him day and night.

I could see this happening. At a certain point, it's not about money anymore. His family has young kids that are starting to get into higher grades and he probably wants them in a safer, prettier place than the stinkpit that is Louisiana. He has CU ties and is from the Mac line. All that adds up for me.

Someone above, I apologize for not looking up to see who it was, said that he didn't do much at OSU. Well, that's flat-out wrong. He coached at OSU before Boone really started to pay to fix the facilities. That happened in a big way a year or so before he left, so he never had the plush accommodations that Gundy and OSU have now. He won at a program that was an absolute mess and did so quickly. He stood up to OU and the OU media in this state and got OSU fans to be brave and confident about their program. I talked with him personally several times there over the years and each time I left him I wanted to run through walls for him and I wasn't even on his team. He's a huge motivator and he exudes confidence. And really, that's what I'm looking for in a HC. Hire good coordinators under him and that's a hell of a combo.

I know everyone fixates on his LSU time, but I saw him turn around a sucky program at OSU and in quick order. And that's a school he has no love for. IF he loves Boulder as much as many have heard, then he'd be all-in to make CU a consistent winner again. He turns 57 on Nov. 10. I'm thinking he's made his money and is looking for a place to still be a BCS coach, but with a better climate, environment and situation. Six years in the LSU meat grinder is enough I bet.

I would love this hire and I'll say right now I hope it happens. He would have Buff Nation back in a big way. Y'all would love him once he's here.

When he was at OSU and CU came to town he spoke very fondly about his time in Boulder. He really seems to love the place. I could totally see it. LSU is full of insane people and my OSU contacts that still are connected to Les say he is definitely tired of the emotional abuse he and his family gets down there over one loss. CU fans might be demanding, but they'll respect a coach enough to not call him day and night.

I could see this happening. At a certain point, it's not about money anymore. His family has young kids that are starting to get into higher grades and he probably wants them in a safer, prettier place than the stinkpit that is Louisiana. He has CU ties and is from the Mac line. All that adds up for me.

Someone above, I apologize for not looking up to see who it was, said that he didn't do much at OSU. Well, that's flat-out wrong. He coached at OSU before Boone really started to pay to fix the facilities. That happened in a big way a year or so before he left, so he never had the plush accommodations that Gundy and OSU have now. He won at a program that was an absolute mess and did so quickly. He stood up to OU and the OU media in this state and got OSU fans to be brave and confident about their program. I talked with him personally several times there over the years and each time I left him I wanted to run through walls for him and I wasn't even on his team. He's a huge motivator and he exudes confidence. And really, that's what I'm looking for in a HC. Hire good coordinators under him and that's a hell of a combo.

I know everyone fixates on his LSU time, but I saw him turn around a sucky program at OSU and in quick order. And that's a school he has no love for. IF he loves Boulder as much as many have heard, then he'd be all-in to make CU a consistent winner again. He turns 57 on Nov. 10. I'm thinking he's made his money and is looking for a place to still be a BCS coach, but with a better climate, environment and situation. Six years in the LSU meat grinder is enough I bet.

I would love this hire and I'll say right now I hope it happens. He would have Buff Nation back in a big way. Y'all would love him once he's here.

Hey he had some great post game rants at OSU. His "I'll take on any sucker with this football team!" was great!

SEC fans are rabid. The CU fans would treat him with a lot more respect. On this angle I can see it and I can understand why he wants out if whats being said is true.

To me, if the rumors are true, this becomes an easy slam dunk for Bohn if they can agree on money.

Haha, yes he did, Col. But you live here, you know what the Sooner (aka North Korea) media is like. Miles had enough gall to stand up to OU media and OU fans and they still hate him to this day for the wins OSU had in 2001 and 2002.

I would love to see a coach Miles at CU answer "USC is a faded legacy" when asked if he thought his Buffs could compete in LA some season.

And oh, sometimes money just isn't the motivating factor. He's made his millions and, if he's been smart with them, he really could be looking for a program with less psychos attached to it. I don't think he's trying to duck pressure, but if his family really feels harassed then that's enough to look for a new job. And he should know from being here that CU can be a winner again. He'd bring smash-mouth football back to the Flatirons -- he'd be a huge hit.

Haha. Love it. I think that was after the 2004 Bedlam game. Earlier that week, he said this: "One team is the No. 1 football team in the land. The other team is a damn fine football team. This weekend we will play to determine which is which."

OSU fans ate that stuff up. It was great to listen to OU fans bitch about him.

Miles would certainly bring the big splash that this program needs and I have little doubt that he would have our program back as a regular player in the top 25 before long. However I remain skeptical that the current administration will be willing to shell out that kind of money for this staff when they weren't even willing to fork out a one-time $3 million buyout for a coach that by all accounts should have been fired after last season.

if LM were to come to CU, any thought on the chances EB or JE would follow him for bigger coaching roles? i love the thought of having those two back at CU.

ok more info... BB to answer your question... he wouldnt walk away from the contract LSU would buy him out at a Reduced rate he would get a year and a half's worth of future salary and cu would pay him in the range of 2.5-3 mil a year... as for ITB... mich would be ecstatic for both of them and they were going to make a pitch to both... but harbaugh is their first choice

So would that imply that they're firing him and the 2 sides would potentially come to an agreement, or that he is wanting out? Because if he's wanting out of LSU, then why would they need to settle with him? I would think they wouldn't owe him a dime if he's the one wanting to leave. :huh:

Back