What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Les Miles News

it was sensitive information at the time... now that its more public... we felt it was time to allow the info out there

I gotta jump in here. I go to LSU games regularly, my in-laws live in Baton Rouge, I follow LSU pretty closely. Les Miles is not a smart man. I don't want him anywhere near CU. I see a lot of similarities between him and Hawkins actually. They're pretty good motivators with their coach speak at times, but when it comes to the details of how their programs are running, they have no idea what's going wrong and/or how to fix things.

Now everyone points to the his record and the NC, which is fine. The guy was given the keys to Rolls Royce of a program and he's managed to not screw it up too bad. IMO, you can't transfer what he's doing at LSU to what he would/could do at CU. The situations are night and day. They're facilities are top notch at LSU. And since day one he's been recruiting in a talent rich state with one BCS school that had recently won an NC.

He's never built a program, and he's never been at a disadvantage at LSU. You've mentioned his clock management issues--well, that's really all he has to do during a game, and he can't handle it. His coordinators get paid $500,000+ to take care of the rest.

Les Miles at CU will be much like he was at Okie State, when he was a 5-7 to 7-5 coach who wins a big game now and then. And if you think Hawkins PC quotes are ridiculous, wait till you have to listen to Les Nile explain why he has 3 5 star receivers on his roster, yet has one of the worst offenses in the country.

It should tell you something if he wants out at LSU. I'll admit their fans are crazy, but watching that team play the last 4 years, I can see why they are. He wants to come back to place where making a bowl is good enough.

Most accurate post on this board with regards to Miles. If he comes to CU he will be just like he was at OSU, probably average around 7-8 wins a year, maybe the occasional 9 win season followed up by a 5 or 6 win season. Right now that's wonderful with how awful the program has been the past few years, and he would be an upgrade over Hawk. But Miles isn't going to be the guy to get CU back to national prominence. LSU is one of the top 3 or 4 jobs in the country, and he manages to lose 4-5 games a year there now. He has arguably the most talented team in CFB and puts an average product on the field. Also, say what you want about his record, but he has been the luckiest coach on the planet since he has been at LSU. Those breaks will end sometime.

Last edited:
Most accurate post on this board with regards to Miles. If he comes to CU he will be just like he was at OSU, probably average around 7-8 wins a year, maybe the occasional 9 win season followed up by a 5 or 6 win season. Right now that's wonderful with how awful the program has been the past few years, and he would be an upgrade over Hawk. But Miles isn't going to be the guy to get CU back to national prominence. LSU is one of the top 3 or 4 jobs in the country, and he manages to lose 4-5 games a year there now. He has arguably the most talented team in CFB and puts an average product on the field. Also, say what you want about his record, but he has been the luckiest coach on the planet since he has been at LSU. Those breaks will end sometime.

Wow, we must have a real shot at some BIG TIME coaching candidates if we're in position to pass on a coach with a national title and is currently 7-1 in the SEC. We're getting awfully picky, just saying.

for those of you just joining us here is a recap of the rumor in its entirety...

My Aunt and Uncle are big time Michigan boosters/donors and they said they are hearing directly from The Mich AD that Michigan is no longer pursuing Les Miles, because he is interested in another job...The Colorado Job and he has reached out to Mike Bohn via back channels.

He wouldn’t walk away from the contract LSU would buy him out at a reduced rate. He would get a year and a half's worth of future salary (roughly 6 mil) and CU would pay him in the range of 2.5-3 mil a year (paid for by the donor group or some other boosters), leaving about 1 mil for the 2 coordinators.

As for the reasoning behind Michigan backing off Les, Although they would ecstatic with either of them (and they were going to approach both of them) Harbaugh is their unanimous first, second and third choices and quite frankly it isn’t even that close.

As for the rationale behind Les Miles wanting out of Baton Rouge, he is receiving harassing phone calls at all hours of the night. I’ve heard rumors that he has changed his home phone number 5 times in the last 8 months or so and it was unlisted to begin with. His wife and children are being harassed at schools not just by the students but the by parents as well.

Interesting math, based on his actual record posted previously, that's an average of 10-3 before this year, pretty damn good in the SEC and far from average. Might as well be factual while we're at it...

Interesting math, based on his actual record posted previously, that's an average of 10-3 before this year, pretty damn good in the SEC and far from average. Might as well be factual while we're at it...

SEC schedule plus 1 BCS non-conference opponent per year. Except for 2008, but they've played 2 this year that were both ranked in the top 25 at the time LSU beat them (North Carolina & West Virginia). In fact, Miles has never lost a non-conference regular season game while at LSU. He has also only suffered 1 bowl loss... a 2 point loss to #13 Penn State last year.

He's a good, solid coach. His problem is LSU fans are spoiled rotten - nothing but a championship year is acceptable. As an LSU fan myself - I do consider myself a spoiled fan also. Problem is that team is so loaded with talent year in and year out it is ridiculous. There are 4 star recruits that warm the bench. I can't figure out Miles at all. I don't think we will beat Alabama this weekend, but it would not surprise me if we do. The guy is a complete enigma, and a legit nut case - all that being said - if he wins 10 games this year, I say keep him. Why the hell not?

SEC schedule plus 1 BCS non-conference opponent per year. Except for 2008, but they've played 2 this year that were both ranked in the top 25 at the time LSU beat them (North Carolina & West Virginia). In fact, Miles has never lost a non-conference regular season game while at LSU. He has also only suffered 1 bowl loss... a 2 point loss to #13 Penn State last year.
The Penn State game was another clock mismanaged game. He burned seconds off the clock before calling the last time out. Ran a middle screen pass with just a few seconds left - what an idiot play that was - when asked about it, he said he ran it because it would be unexpected. No $h_t! That and Ole Miss made 2 games he just flat gave away, considering he had the best kicker since Tommy Davis.

What's with SEC fans that think every coach on other teams in their conference is garbage?

I do have a concern with Miles: why on earth is Gary Crowton still his OC? Don't tell me he can't locate a better OC.

Either way, assuming the money works out, this guy has to be our #1 option. His clock management issues have been noted, but all the guy does is win football games in big time conferences. He would come in here with contacts all over the country, able to recruit up a storm, bring passion, ability to win big games. What's not to like?

Seriously, I'd go so far as saying that if he was our HC next year, we'd instantly be in the top 4 in the Pac 12. Oregon, Utah, USC, and then us probably. USC is only going to get worse, Oregon's offense will get figured out and slowed down, and Utah will probably have some growing pains moving to big time games week in week out. Stanford will fall apart when Harbaugh leaves, ASU is headed nowhere fast, Zona might be able to remain decent post Foles. Cal is so damn poor the state will probably just close that place down, boom.

He's a good, solid coach. His problem is LSU fans are spoiled rotten - nothing but a championship year is acceptable. As an LSU fan myself - I do consider myself a spoiled fan also. Problem is that team is so loaded with talent year in and year out it is ridiculous. There are 4 star recruits that warm the bench. I can't figure out Miles at all. I don't think we will beat Alabama this weekend, but it would not surprise me if we do. The guy is a complete enigma, and a legit nut case - all that being said - if he wins 10 games this year, I say keep him. Why the hell not?

Spoiled? LSU has had a good decade. Last SEC crown before -1988. I vote you leave the hat where he is. Unless of course they beat us this weekend.

1999 3-8
1998 4-7
1997 9-3
1996 10-2
1995 7-4-1
1994 4-7
1993 5-6
1992 2-9
1991 5-6
1990 5-6

He's my number one pick just because he brings everything to the table - If he came to Boulder, I think he could get our team with the players we have on it right now to 7 wins next year and the following year have a top 10 recruiting class. I think by year 3-4 we could be competing for the Pac 12 championship. Clock management be damned he still wins football games - win football games and keep the team off of probation and sanctions and thats all that really matters when you really think about it.

1999 3-8
1998 4-7
1997 9-3
1996 10-2
1995 7-4-1
1994 4-7
1993 5-6
1992 2-9
1991 5-6
1990 5-6

Those are some very Hawkins like numbers right there. I guess I didn't know they had ever been that bad. Just goes to show what can happen when the wrong people are in charge. It gives me hope that we can turn this thing around.

Seems like Miles is absolutely polarizing. People either love him or hate him and there is no in-between. Personally, he would be my #1 candidate and it's not even close. I don't see how the school can't do everything possible to try and get him to Boulder if he is willing to come. His deficiencies are well-noted by the detractors, namely poor clock management and his unusual personality. The endless comparisons to Saban are mind-boggling to say the least, considering he has equaled or bettered Saban's achievements in winning percentage, bowl wins, and NCs. Miles is a known commodity and has proven himself at the highest level. Yes, LSU has a great setup with their facilities, local talent, and fan support, but to say that he has just carried on with what they were doing without screwing it up badly is to seriously deprive him of credit. It's not that simple, there are tons of examples of coaches who walked into great situations and utterly failed. I don't even consider LSU to be a top 3-4 program, certainly a top 15 but it's more on par with Georgia or Tennessee and nowhere near USC, Texas, Ohio State, etc.

Let's look at what Les Miles brings to the table:

- Ten years of head coaching experience in BCS conferences, and experience on every coaching level (position and coordinator). Other candidates either have no HC experience (McElwain, Malzahn, Logan) or not at the BCS level (Calhoun) and we don't know what they are capable of. I bet if you took any of them and said they would do what Miles has already accomplished, they would be ecstatic and think their career was a great success.
- 86-37 overall W/L record for an overall winning percentage of 70%.
- 30-14 SEC conference record, in what has been the most dominant conference in recent years for a winning percentage of 68%.
- Bowl invitations in 9 out of 10 years as a HC (including this year), 5-3 record in bowls including wins in the NCG and Sugar Bowl.
- Knows how to build a program, made Oklahoma State relevant again.
- Knows how to keep a program consistently good once it is at the top. Before Miles took them to 11, 11, and 12 wins in 2005-2007, LSU had never even had back to back 10-win seasons, even under McClendon (who believe it or not never even had 10 wins in a single year) and Saban.
- Has shown he can win the big games, including 2 wins against highly ranked OU teams while at Oklahoma State and going 10-7 combined against Florida, Alabama, and Auburn. 21-12 record against top 25 teams.
- Lights out recruiter.
- Previous ties to our program.
- Not only that, but LIKES Boulder and CU. If he were to come here it would probably be his last coaching stop.
- Would have the support of McCartney and his backers.
- The biggest hire CU could make in terms of grabbing headlines and generating hype and donations.

I think the only realistic candidate who even comes close to that is Mac. While I respect the man greatly, if we bring him in it would probably be with someone like Bienemy or Embree as head coach in waiting and they would take over the reigns in a few years. Why do that if you could potentially get Miles immediately?

The question is, if you fire Les, who is going to replace him? You going to dig up Bo Schembechler? Once you are that good, you have a small candidate pool to begin with. And if you fire Miles for all the success he's brought to Baton Rouge, other candidates might see the bar being set too high, and say eff you to LSU.

The question is, if you fire Les, who is going to replace him? You going to dig up Bo Schembechler? Once you are that good, you have a small candidate pool to begin with. And if you fire Miles for all the success he's brought to Baton Rouge, other candidates might see the bar being set too high, and say eff you to LSU.
Exactly, which is why basically everyone who isn't a LSU fan cannot understand why they dislike him so much.

As for firing him, I think it's generally understood that if he leaves after this season it will be by mutual consent with LSU giving him a reduced buyout. He isn't going to resign and leave all that money on the table, and LSU won't want to outright fire him and have to pay his enormous buyout - even if they lose to Alabama, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and their bowl game.

I can't say I've ever noticed this, but if true, if is refreshing and runs counter to the whole "SEC" chants and conference pride that fans spew during the bowl season. The Big Ten and Big XII schools hate their fellow conference brethren, but the SEC schools are very fraternal with each other. Makes me puke.

What's with SEC fans that think every coach on other teams in their conference is garbage?

While you state that LSU is a top 5 job its funny how people forget how mediocre they were for the 20 years prior to Nick Saban. I disagree with you on Les skill at a coach. At OSU he was forced to accept Gundy as his OC by Pickens. He's pulled in top level recruiting classes at LSU. He's had one losing season as a HC. To take OSU from the dump that it was to a winner in 1 year is pretty good.

I think he would be a great addition to CU. I think he would reinstate a strong and deep coaching staff that we could draw from when he retires. I'd love to have him. God a 7 win season would be awesome.

If the rumors are true and the fans drive Lester away they are stupid. The numbers do not lie;

Most Wins
Rank Name Wins
1 Charles McClendon 137
2 Bernie Moore 83
3 Les Miles 56
4 Nick Saban 48
5 Paul Dietzel 46

Best Winning Percentage
Rank Name Pct.
1 Les Miles .789
2t Bill Arnsparger .750
2t Nick Saban .750
4 Biff Jones .741
5 Charles McClendon .692

Most Bowl Wins
Rank Name Bowl Wins
1 Charles McClendon 7
2 Les Miles 4
3t Gerry DiNardo 3
3t Nick Saban 3
5 Paul Dietzel 2

McClendon coached LSU from 62 to 79. Arnsparger, Saban, and Miles are the only 3 coaches to go above .600 in that time.

Last edited:
If he comes and does not put up great numbers you guys will be absolutely ruthless, with this guy in particular. If he puts up the same numbers as he did at OSU you guys will be calling for his head.

If he comes and does not put up great numbers you guys will be absolutely ruthless, with this guy in particular. If he puts up the same numbers as he did at OSU you guys will be calling for his head.

us guys... i thought you were one of us?

Disagree - CU is at its lowest point in 30 years. Hasn't been this bad since late 70's early 80's before Mac came. Expectations are no where near where they are at LSU and no where near where they were when coach Mac was running the show. If Les can get us to winning 8 games a year on a regular basis people will be thrilled. -- I don't think thats an unrealistic expectation either. I think he could get us there by year 3. People here don't expect him to turn it around overnight because we simply don't have the athletes right now and everybody knows it. If he can get us to 8 wins the money will start to flow in again from the boosters and we can get our facilities back on track. Once we have some good facilities, watch out because we will be able to recruit with just about anybody save maybe 3-4 programs i.e. Texas, Florida, USC, and Bama

Insightful analysis.

Back