What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Les Miles Watch 2015

I don't think that there's a Les Miles discount right now. Les likes his money and would structure something to make sure it was a financial win for him vs taking a broadcasting job or something.

What I mean is that his deal with LSU is an offset thing. He will be making the same or greater than he was at LSU regardless.

What I mean is that his deal with LSU is an offset thing. He will be making the same or greater than he was at LSU regardless.

I agree that it's unlikely that a college has to pay him all of what LSU would have paid him. So I guess from that standpoint Les is going to be relatively cheap. But I think you also have to go into it assuming that his agent will structure things so that he makes more than he would get from LSU BUYOUT + ESPN GIG.

Likely won't be. Some HUGE jobs open right now. Les would probably have his pick of. He would be cheap too, because he is gonna get paid regardless.
Agree to a point. However, he has a small connection here, and Boulder is more laid back when it comes to winning and loosing. He wont be getting death threats for a 9 win season. What other HUGE jobs that are open would he be a good fit, and want to go to?

Agree to a point. However, he has a small connection here, and Boulder is more laid back when it comes to winning and loosing. He wont be getting death threats for a 9 win season. What other HUGE jobs that are open would he be a good fit, and want to go to?

USC, USC, Mizzou, and Miami off the top of my head.

Not sure he fits into either of the USC. Not sure about Miami, maybe Mizzou.
I just don't think its that far of a stretch to think we have a chance.

We can't match the cash some of these programs are going to throw at him.

Texas may want him too, and it they do, there is really no limit to what they will spend.

We can't match the cash some of these programs are going to throw at him.

Texas may want him too, and it they do, there is really no limit to what they will spend.
Very true. After what he has dealt with at LSU does he want more of the same?
Or come here, less money, but also less bull****.
I don't think at this stage of his life (I could be totally wrong here) I don't think money will be the driving factor.

I don't think at this stage of his life (I could be totally wrong here) I don't think money will be the driving factor.

Guarantee he is looking for $$$. He will either be coaching for a fortune, or will go to the broadcast booth and get paid a little less, but with none of the responsibilities or hassle. Not saying he definitely won't come here, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Guarantee he is looking for $$$. He will either be coaching for a fortune, or will go to the broadcast booth and get paid a little less, but with none of the responsibilities or hassle. Not saying he definitely won't come here, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.
Oh **** no, Im not holding my breath. I just think its NOT totally unrealistic to think we have a chance, and we better at least be trying!

It's a catch 22 - you want to sell candidates on the fact that the administration is going to do whatever they can to help you be successful and that we want to win. This goes against the "it's a more relaxed job because they don't have such high expectations" narrative.

I don't think selling low expectations is a recipe for hiring a top flight coach.

It's a catch 22 - you want to sell candidates on the fact that the administration is going to do whatever they can to help you be successful and that we want to win. This goes against the "it's a more relaxed job because they don't have such high expectations" narrative.

I don't think selling low expectations is a recipe for hiring a top flight coach.
Not really what I meant, not lowering expectations, but look at where he is at now. Averaging 10 wins a season and looking to get fired. If he put a together a string of 10 win seasons here we would not be calling for his firing. I think he would have the same issues at USC or Texas as he does at LSU.

Not really what I meant, not lowering expectations, but look at where he is at now. Averaging 10 wins a season and looking to get fired. If he put a together a string of 10 win seasons here we would not be calling for his firing. I think he would have the same issues at USC or Texas as he does at LSU.
he would get a statue

Question: What makes Les Miles the slam Dunk head coach that CU needs right now?

Miles is CU royalty, yes. However, he won his National Championship with players another coach recruited at LSU. Championships since then = 0. And he recruits from one of the nations hotbeds of talent, has numerous 1st round draft talent selected each year, yet the team is routinely outside of the top 5 at the end of the year. I am not saying he is a bad coach. But will he improve a team when his incoming talent is limited and far less abundant than the talent he has been accustom to at LSU?

Question: What makes Les Miles the slam Dunk head coach that CU needs right now?

Miles is CU royalty, yes. However, he won his National Championship with players another coach recruited at LSU. Championships since then = 0. And he recruits from one of the nations hotbeds of talent, has numerous 1st round draft talent selected each year, yet the team is routinely outside of the top 5 at the end of the year. I am not saying he is a bad coach. But will he improve a team when his incoming talent is limited and far less abundant than vs the talent he has been accustom to at LSU?

You are the one who wants Lane Kiffen but then you say this about Les?

Miles is CU royalty, yes. However, he won his National Championship with players another coach recruited at LSU. Championships since then = 0. And he recruits from one of the nations hotbeds of talent, has numerous 1st round draft talent selected each year, yet the team is routinely outside of the top 5 at the end of the year. I am not saying he is a bad coach. But will he improve a team when his incoming talent is limited and far less abundant than vs the talent he has been accustom to at LSU?

While yes Les did not recruit the upperclassmen that took LSU to the NC, That game was 2.5 to 3 years after he arrived in Baton Rouge (05, 06, 07) . So lets not act like Miles didn't do a considerable amount of coaching to get to that point. Also in 2011 when LSU went to 13-1, it was BS that they had to play Bama again. Especially given they had already beaten them in the regular season.

LSU is less relevant to me. The record there is great and it has made him a national name who would get into any recruit in the nation's living room.

But as a coach, what he did at Okie Lite is what matters as a CU fan. They were awful before he arrived. It was years before the T. Boon Pickens donations rolled in. He went 4-7 his first season and followed it with 8, 9 and 7 wins over the next three years. He's got more cache now than he did then for recruiting (by a long shot), has a bigger coaching tree, and one would assume he's learned a few things in a decade. He'd quickly improve CU into an upper tier Pac-12 program.

Miles is CU royalty, yes. However, he won his National Championship with players another coach recruited at LSU. Championships since then = 0. And he recruits from one of the nations hotbeds of talent, has numerous 1st round draft talent selected each year, yet the team is routinely outside of the top 5 at the end of the year. I am not saying he is a bad coach. But will he improve a team when his incoming talent is limited and far less abundant than the talent he has been accustom to at LSU?
Are we really complaining that he didn't win more than 1 mNC, and isn't always in the top 5? Who the f**k do we think we are?

You are the one who wants Lane Kiffen but then you say this about Les?

You are either the man with the jokes this afternoon or a bit foggy. I have never been a fan of Kiffin, nor have I ever written a comment about him. Definitely do not want him around the CU campus!

Are we really complaining that he didn't win more than 1 mNC, and isn't always in the top 5? Who the f**k do we think we are?

I was not complaining, I asked a question, which you did not answer.

Now, to your question: Who we are is subjective. Currently, we are a bad team, although improving. However, and judging by the amount of fire in the forum, I would venture to say that CU is a dormant program but who CU has been, is a perennial top 5 program from 89 - 95. I want to get back to those days - don't you? So asking a question and challenging resumes is not only something we should all do, but actively do. Especially after the carousel of leaders this past decade has brought.
Who are we you ask? CU! Previous top 5 program and no need to settle for anything less than that or at least vet coaches and players on the way.

He went 4-7 his first season and followed it with 8, 9 and 7 wins over the next three years. He's got more cache now than he did then for recruiting (by a long shot), has a bigger coaching tree, and one would assume he's learned a few things in a decade. He'd quickly improve CU into an upper tier Pac-12 program.

I agree with most of your response. Given that he has had rosters full of 4 and 5 star studs, yet losses 2+ games on average per season, I am not convinced he would bring CU to the upper tier. He would definitely improve the Buffs though. You're right, he is a very good recruiter as well.

I was not complaining, I asked a question, which you did not answer.

Now, to your question: Who we are is subjective. Currently, we are a bad team, although improving. However, and judging by the amount of fire in the forum, I would venture to say that CU is a dormant program but who CU has been, is a perennial top 5 program from 89 - 95. I want to get back to those days - don't you? So asking a question and challenging resumes is not only something we should all do, but actively do. Especially after the carousel of leaders this past decade has brought.
Who are we you ask? CU! Previous top 5 program and no need to settle for anything less than that or at least vet coaches and players on the way.
The fact that we were once a top 5 program is wonderful, but I hardly think that matters more than trivially in a current coaching search

Get real. We are CU, but we are a program that has been irrelevant for a decade and one that has been left in the dust by dozens of programs that have figured out how to win in the modern era while we have failed to keep up. Baylor is a top 10 team for f**KS sake.

Vet coaches, that's fine, but if you think CU shouldn't "settle" for a guy who has won a national title, and perennially wins 9-10 games in the toughest conference in college football, then you're living in fantasy land.

Back