What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Les Miles Watch 2015

no one wins at south carolina. holtz and spurrier show that.

mizzery might be a fit for miles. i could see that. usc would be a horrible fit for him.

is this us? do others say nobody wins at Colorado? this is my fear.

this illustrates my point-- we have to break the cycle, either with mm over performing against national expectations SOON or bringing in a rockstar that can up the talent level by just being here. another "solid" but unexciting hire will reinforce the "no one wins there and they don't have the patience to let a guy build a program" vibe.

[QUOTE="SINKRATZ, post: 1901047, member: 1358"Vet coaches, that's fine, but if you think CU shouldn't "settle" for a guy who has won a national title, and perennially wins 9-10 games in the toughest conference in college football, then you're living in fantasy land.[/QUOTE]

Well said! Just want to be clear, I didn't say CU was settling for Miles, nor was I questioning his ability to win games. Not all big name coaches are successful at new locations. I simply wanted to hear thoughts and feedback on why he is the man for CU.

For instance, you mentioned he wins 9-10 games a season. Do you think he would be able to win 9-10 games a year at CU? He would be faced with an enormous talent disparity at CU. To Buffnik's point, he won 8, 9 and 7 games at OSU. That sounds about what I would expect from him at CU. So would the masses be happy with a marginal bowl game and 8-4 or 9-4 record each season? Initially, absolutely. That would be a ranking somewhere around 20-25 each season. However, do you think the CU faithful would be happy with 5 straight 23rd ranked teams, or would they want more?

Kind of depends on what your expectations are...

[QUOTE="SINKRATZ, post: 1901047, member: 1358"Vet coaches, that's fine, but if you think CU shouldn't "settle" for a guy who has won a national title, and perennially wins 9-10 games in the toughest conference in college football, then you're living in fantasy land.

Well said! Just want to be clear, I didn't say CU was settling for Miles, nor was I questioning his ability to win games. Not all big name coaches are successful at new locations. I simply wanted to hear thoughts and feedback on why he is the man for CU.

For instance, you mentioned he wins 9-10 games a season. Do you think he would be able to win 9-10 games a year at CU? He would be faced with an enormous talent disparity at CU. To Buffnik's point, he won 8, 9 and 7 games at OSU. That sounds about what I would expect from him at CU. So would the masses be happy with a marginal bowl game and 8-4 or 9-4 record each season? Initially, absolutely. That would be a ranking somewhere around 20-25 each season. However, do you think the CU faithful would be happy with 5 straight 23rd ranked teams, or would they want more?

Kind of depends on what your expectations are...[/QUOTE]

Personally, I think CU should be a bowl team every year. 7-8 wins should be the norm. Every few years or so they should make a run for the CCG. Maybe once in a decade or so be a national player. I think those are reasonable expectations. CU historically has been a nationally relevant FB team, no reason why that can't happen again.

Kind of depends on what your expectations are...
Miles isn't coaching for another decade - he probably has one big contact left in him and I think fans would be mostly thrilled if he delivered a regular top 25 team until he retires.

[QUOTE="SINKRATZ, post: 1901047, member: 1358"Vet coaches, that's fine, but if you think CU shouldn't "settle" for a guy who has won a national title, and perennially wins 9-10 games in the toughest conference in college football, then you're living in fantasy land.

Kind of depends on what your expectations are...[/QUOTE]

Holy shoe shine Batman! Now you have CU not hiring Les Miles to replace MacIntyre because CU fans won't put up with five consecutive years of being ranked #23 to end the season. CU fans thinking that CU can possibly even hire Les Miles is absurd. But saying CU shouldn't hire Miles because he will only get CU to a #23 ranking for a five year stretch is beyond absurd. Absurd is pretty much at the end of the spectrum; to go beyond absurd is impressive.

absurdity-day.jpg

Are we really debating whether or not Les mo****in Miles is good enough for us? Damnit people!

Apparently. I mean, he might not win a national championship at CU and at his age it's highly unlikely that he would be here more than 3-5 years. CU fans have standards. Unless we can count on a guy winning 10+ games every year, winning the conference no less than 1 out of 3 years, finishing Top 10 at least 1 out of 2 years, winning at least 1 national title every decade and staying here for 20-25 years... we really shouldn't consider the candidate.

P.S. I bet a lot of CU fans would question hiring Mark Richt if he became available.

Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Pete Carroll, or bust!

Even at that, I gotta say, Pete Carroll isn't looking so hot right now. And he really let USC slide during his last year there... might not be CU material.

Apparently. I mean, he might not win a national championship at CU and at his age it's highly unlikely that he would be here more than 3-5 years. CU fans have standards. Unless we can count on a guy winning 10+ games every year, winning the conference no less than 1 out of 3 years, finishing Top 10 at least 1 out of 2 years, winning at least 1 national title every decade and staying here for 20-25 years... we really shouldn't consider the candidate.

P.S. I bet a lot of CU fans would question hiring Mark Richt if he became available.
No kidding. If those are the standards we expect, then keeping Mac shouldn't even be a consideration, right?

[/QUOTE
Holy shoe shine Batman! Now you have CU not hiring Les Miles to replace MacIntyre because CU fans won't put up with five consecutive years of being ranked #23 to end the season. CU fans thinking that CU can possibly even hire Les Miles is absurd. But saying CU shouldn't hire Miles because he will only get CU to a #23 ranking for a five year stretch is beyond absurd. Absurd is pretty much at the end of the spectrum; to go beyond absurd is impressive.

I did not say any of that, nice pig though. I asked a question! Settle down... Clearly, reading is not mandatory in today's forum. Nobody said any of those comments - questions folks, just questions.

No kidding. If those are the standards we expect, then keeping Mac shouldn't even be a consideration, right?

The current standard at CU is to lose to Hawaii; win 2 conference games in 3 seasons; and keep the coach. The current standard at CU is that there is no standard.

“I’ve said it publicly several times: Mike MacIntyre is going to be our coach next year,” George said. “There’s really nothing to discuss. I’ve said it several times, and nothing has changed. People have asked and I’ve said the same thing: Mike’s going to be our coach. Let’s move on to the next topic.”

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=3843&SPID=255&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=210488698

No to Richt. Seriously!

No to Richt. Seriously!

11 years coaching the QBs and running the offense for Bobby Bowden's FSU dynasty, then...

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°
Georgia Bulldogs
(Southeastern Conference) (2001–present)
2001 Georgia 8–4 5–3 T–3rd (Eastern) L Music City 25 22
2002 Georgia 13–1 7–1 1st (Eastern) W Sugar† 3 3
2003 Georgia 11–3 6–2 T–1st (Eastern) W Capital One 6 7
2004 Georgia 10–2 6–2 2nd (Eastern) W Outback 6 7
2005 Georgia 10–3 6–2 1st (Eastern) L Sugar† 10 10
2006 Georgia 9–4 4–4 T–3rd (Eastern) W Chick-fil-A 23
2007 Georgia 11–2 6–2 T–1st (Eastern) W Sugar† 3 2
2008 Georgia 10–3 6–2 2nd (Eastern) W Capital One 10 13
2009 Georgia 8–5 4–4 T–2nd (Eastern) W Independence
2010 Georgia 6–7 3–5 T–3rd (Eastern) L Liberty
2011 Georgia 10–4 7–1 1st (Eastern) L Outback 18 18
2012 Georgia 12–2 7–1 T–1st (Eastern) W Capital One 4 5
2013 Georgia 8–5 5–3 3rd (Eastern) L Gator
2014 Georgia 10–3 6–2 2nd (Eastern) W Belk 9 9
2015 Georgia 8–3 5–3 (Eastern)
Georgia: 144–51 83–37
Total: 144–51
National championship Conference title Conference division title
†Indicates Bowl Coalition, Bowl Alliance, BCS, or CFP / New Years' Six bowl.
#Rankings from final Coaches Poll.
°Rankings from final AP Poll.

You're joking, right?

Interesting, Vic Lombardi put out a tweet saying Les Miles was interested in the Broncos job before Kubs got it last year.

11 years coaching the QBs and running the offense for Bobby Bowden's FSU dynasty, then...

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°
Georgia Bulldogs
(Southeastern Conference) (2001–present)
2001 Georgia 8–4 5–3 T–3rd (Eastern) L Music City 25 22
2002 Georgia 13–1 7–1 1st (Eastern) W Sugar† 3 3
2003 Georgia 11–3 6–2 T–1st (Eastern) W Capital One 6 7
2004 Georgia 10–2 6–2 2nd (Eastern) W Outback 6 7
2005 Georgia 10–3 6–2 1st (Eastern) L Sugar† 10 10
2006 Georgia 9–4 4–4 T–3rd (Eastern) W Chick-fil-A 23
2007 Georgia 11–2 6–2 T–1st (Eastern) W Sugar† 3 2
2008 Georgia 10–3 6–2 2nd (Eastern) W Capital One 10 13
2009 Georgia 8–5 4–4 T–2nd (Eastern) W Independence
2010 Georgia 6–7 3–5 T–3rd (Eastern) L Liberty
2011 Georgia 10–4 7–1 1st (Eastern) L Outback 18 18
2012 Georgia 12–2 7–1 T–1st (Eastern) W Capital One 4 5
2013 Georgia 8–5 5–3 3rd (Eastern) L Gator
2014 Georgia 10–3 6–2 2nd (Eastern) W Belk 9 9
2015 Georgia 8–3 5–3 (Eastern)
Georgia: 144–51 83–37
Total: 144–51
National championship Conference title Conference division title
†Indicates Bowl Coalition, Bowl Alliance, BCS, or CFP / New Years' Six bowl.
#Rankings from final Coaches Poll.
°Rankings from final AP Poll.

You're joking, right?
Consistently underperforms. Every year we hear how it's UGA's year, and how the talent is in place. He isn't relevant in our recruiting footprint, and you know that I'm not as impressed with the strength of the SEC as others.

Nearly lost to Dan Hawkins in Athens, and then did lose to him in Boulder.

No to Richt. Seriously.

Consistently underperforms. Every year we hear how it's UGA's year, and how the talent is in place. He isn't relevant in our recruiting footprint, and you know that I'm not as impressed with the strength of the SEC as others.

Nearly lost to Dan Hawkins in Athens, and then did lose to him in Boulder.

No to Richt. Seriously.

Please let us get to the point where his average record is considered underperforming at CU. I say sign him up like yesterday if he will come here.

Richt's record is pretty much right where my long term expectations are: perennially ranked, runs at CCGs, and a MNC would really take catching lightening in a bottle.

Richt would take CU two or three steps above where CU is now. He would not win a CCG. He may get there but will not win it. Just who he is.

I would take it.

For now.

Richt would take CU two or three steps above where CU is now. He would not win a CCG. He may get there but will not win it. Just who he is.

I would take it.

For now.
He coaches in the SEC. He will be in over his head in The PAC.

Back