What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lesson from the scandal

LABuffalo

I think the worst thing that happened during the scandal is having the faculty turn on the program. Losing their support hurt the program more than anything. Barnett's refusal to resign (rightly or wrongly) cost the school a president and chancellor and I think faculty like DiStephano was just never going to forget it. Thus, the football program gets stuck with Benson and DiStep. And Barnett was gone in the end anyway.

I think more than anything else football players have to focus on their relations with the faculty and not do anything that will embarrass them. Just like regular students, they have to have a huge respect for professors and not do anything that is going to reflect badly on them and the university. If that is the base, then things will be OK for everyone concerned.

Not sure I agree with you. Having faculty support is certainly important, but the damage to CU's reputation as a whole combined with recruiting restrictions hurt CU football more than upset faculty IMO.

I think most of the athletic department underestimated how damaging the accusations against them were going to be because they believed most of it was BS. Regardless of which accusations were true, they didn't get control of the situation and it hurt the entire University, that's why everyone got canned from the top down. We still don't know how much of what was alleged was actually true, but it almost didn't matter - the damage to CU's reputation had already been done and replacing the entire administration was part of repairing the image of CU.

I don't think players being nicer to their teachers would have prevented what went down.

No, shaking hands and smiling with lisa simpson was the worst. Well, that and a certain female kicker never naming the 'alledged" rapist, branding an entire team as rapist.

I think the worst thing that happened during the scandal is having the faculty turn on the program. Losing their support hurt the program more than anything. Barnett's refusal to resign (rightly or wrongly) cost the school a president and chancellor and I think faculty like DiStephano was just never going to forget it. Thus, the football program gets stuck with Benson and DiStep. And Barnett was gone in the end anyway.

I think more than anything else football players have to focus on their relations with the faculty and not do anything that will embarrass them. Just like regular students, they have to have a huge respect for professors and not do anything that is going to reflect badly on them and the university. If that is the base, then things will be OK for everyone concerned.

The worst thing about the scandal is the fact that the university left Barnett out in the cold to hang himself. Knowing he was not the most PC guy and wore his emotions on his sleave, they didn't step up to help him when his comments were taken out of context, when alligations were said without any prof. Even ****en Gov. Owens opened his ****ing mouth without having any prof of anything. They killed this program. Bottom line!!!

We had players on that team that just crossed the line as to decent behavior. There was that kid from Texas and the other who was from Long Beach. One was a three star and the other two star; hardly significant contributors to the team's efforts when winning the Big 12 Championship game. But, if I remember correctly, both these kids were running around naked at the party with recruits present. If I'd have done that at a party while in Boulder that would have been the last one I'd ever been invited to. These kids had such bad judgment and no sense of decency that it was things like this that the faculty revolted against. Where was the leadership on the team and why didn't other players call them out for their asinine behavior.

I learned that having a DA and university president that are out to bring down the football program is dangerous. They never have to name a name or press a charge. Innuedo will do the trick. And Rick Reilly is a hypocritical jackass.

We had players on that team that just crossed the line as to decent behavior. There was that kid from Texas and the other who was from Long Beach. One was a three star and the other two star; hardly significant contributors to the team's efforts when winning the Big 12 Championship game. But, if I remember correctly, both these kids were running around naked at the party with recruits present. If I'd have done that at a party while in Boulder that would have been the last one I'd ever been invited to. These kids had such bad judgment and no sense of decency that it was things like this that the faculty revolted against. Where was the leadership on the team and why didn't other players call them out for their asinine behavior.

Don't disagree but did you call out your friends for their behavior when you were 18-20?

I think friends have a way of letting you know what is appropriate behavior for the group. And like I said, pretty sure I'd have been shunned big-time for running around naked at a party.

I bought Buffaloed late long after it came out. And I couldn't read it. I already knew the story inside and out, and my blood would boil trying to get through it so just gave up.

Back