What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Let the meltdown begin

Performance based assessment should lead everyone to be very worried. By nearly all meaningful metrics, we still suck.

Here's what I do out in the real world when unit managers or team leaders are failing:

1. Assess why they are failing
2. Correct any institutional hurdles that cause the failing
3. Ensure that trackable and measurable and achievable plans are made by the failing manager and those plans meet my expectations
4. Hold the failing manager accountable to meet those goals, with the clear understanding that if they aren't met, a change will be made
5. Replace the manager who cannot achieve the results required, and do so quickly but thoughtfully. Conduct a search to address the failings of the previous manager.

This has worked for me for years in business. I am not sure why it is so shocking to some of our clueless fan base.

Performance based assessment should lead everyone to be very worried. By nearly all meaningful metrics, we still suck.

Here's what I do out in the real world when unit managers or team leaders are failing:

3. Ensure that trackable and measurable and achievable plans are made by the failing manager and those plans meet my expectations
4. Hold the failing manager accountable to meet those goals, with the clear understanding that if they aren't met, a change will be made
5. Replace the manager who cannot achieve the results required, and do so quickly but thoughtfully. Conduct a search to address the failings of the previous manager.

This has worked for me for years in business. I am not sure why it is so shocking to some of our clueless fan base.
And that is why I'm leaving it to RG. He's the guy who makes those decisions. Not me are anyone else here. That is, unless, there is someone here who is a big time donor. Maybe someone with deep pockets has a bit of influence.

The athletic department is doing exactly this:
http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209411063

The main issue is item 2. If we want good football at CU again we need to institutionally accept the unsavory things that come with it. We can't expect a football team that is full of true scholars. Many of these kids have an IQ of 80 and football is what they do...does that make them bad kids? E.G. With all the d-line help we knew we needed why did we allow Sampson Kafovalu to get academically suspended. Special football classes should be impossible to fail!

The real problem was our expectations. We had two FCS teams last year and one of the best receivers ever. Winning six games was never in the cards. I think 2-9 or maybe even 1-9 are more likely. We are a better football team than last year, our competition has just improved. If we stick with it we will be better.

In going back over it today it was clear that last night was simply a Dline problem and that created the problems every were else. Most everyone saw this problem coming, we just couldn't predict how it would turn out. It took CSU over one half to realize it, but then they were able to exploit it. The Dline is young and will get better this year. Even so they are never going to be good enough to make us a force again. We need better recruiting.

Some of our parts looked really good to me. A few are - I thought our secondary looked very good, even though the dline was making them cover for 10 Mississippi. Nelson Spruce made some amazing catches and I thought the ball was accurately thrown. Too bad other receivers couldn't come through. Exception - pretty impressed with Shay Fields in his first college game. Punting was very good.

This isn't going to be a good football team in 2 or even 3 years, but it will happen. Baby steps.

[MENTION=10249]8Jah[/MENTION]. I agree with your few bright spots. The secondary as a group appears to be decent. Spruce, fields, and the punter. That's it.

The Sky is not falling yet.

CSU will be a strong force in the Mountain West.

We have some recruiting to do.

NDSU beats Iowa St. 34-14 so at least that wasn't us. Still I'm thinking NDSU beats CSU 34-14 also.

NDSU beats Iowa St. 34-14 so at least that wasn't us. Still I'm thinking NDSU beats CSU 34-14 also.

I think they'd beat them but not sure it would be 20 points. Iowa State is awful, especially at QB, and NDSU is one of the few complete teams in 1AA. They've won 25 straight now. I really hate those guys.

I think they'd beat them but not sure it would be 20 points. Iowa State is awful, especially at QB, and NDSU is one of the few complete teams in 1AA. They've won 25 straight now. I really hate those guys.

Is it still the same coach? Why hasn't he moved up.

Didn't they have the Mizzou guy? Where did he go?

Christiansen had a meltdown. Cussed at a military guy in uniform who was there to be honored at a game if I recall right. He had a famous confrontation with AFA coach Troy Calhoun, accused him of having his players fake injuries to stop the clock.

He is now that OC at Utah.

Bohl was a fusker prior to NDSU, player and assistant.

Last edited:
I thought the offense was put into a bad position by the play calling. We did not need to throw as much as we did in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Running the football is a mind set, and with it comes a lot of 3 and outs. For those that remember the switch to the Wishbone and the likes of Mark Hatcher at QB know that it also serves a purpose of shortening the game. When Mac switched and everyone thought he was nuts it was a 2 fold decision. He had one of the best passing attacks around and couldn't win anything, hung his D out to dry taking 30 seconds off the clock and punting. I don't recall his exact words but it was along the lines of, "if we shorten the game we may loose, but it wont be 50-10" In doing so and taking the full allotted time between plays his D had a chance to catch there breath. On the flip side first downs keep the others teams defense out on the field for longer periods of time that at altitude especially started to pay off in the 3rd and 4th quarters. Sure a one play or 5 play scoring drive with a big play is fun, but to much of it is harmful. CSU did exactly what I am taking about and in the second 1/2 destroyed us.
The Defense on the other hand is pathetic up front, my sons 9-10 team tackles better then that. All I can say is I was skeptical of the Baer hire when he came with MikeMac, and now I am convinced he is over his head at this level, this isn't SJST.

Reactions: aik
I thought the offense was put into a bad position by the play calling. We did not need to throw as much as we did in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Running the football is a mind set, and with it comes a lot of 3 and outs. For those that remember the switch to the Wishbone and the likes of Mark Hatcher at QB know that it also serves a purpose of shortening the game. When Mac switched and everyone thought he was nuts it was a 2 fold decision. He had one of the best passing attacks around and couldn't win anything, hung his D out to dry taking 30 seconds off the clock and punting. I don't recall his exact words but it was along the lines of, "if we shorten the game we may loose, but it wont be 50-10" In doing so and taking the full allotted time between plays his D had a chance to catch there breath. On the flip side first downs keep the others teams defense out on the field for longer periods of time that at altitude especially started to pay off in the 3rd and 4th quarters. Sure a one play or 5 play scoring drive with a big play is fun, but to much of it is harmful. CSU did exactly what I am taking about and in the second 1/2 destroyed us.
The Defense on the other hand is pathetic up front, my sons 9-10 team tackles better then that. All I can say is I was skeptical of the Baer hire when he came with MikeMac, and now I am convinced he is over his head at this level, this isn't SJST.

Before coming to CU, Kent Baer was defensive coordinator at Cal (5 years), Arizona State (3 years), Stanford (3 years), Notre Dame (3 years), and Washington (3 years). That's 17 years BCS defensive coordinator experience - with the vast majority of that in the Pac-12. While the defense obviously struggled on Friday night, I think it is very unlikely that he is "over his head."

Before coming to CU, Kent Baer was defensive coordinator at Cal (5 years), Arizona State (3 years), Stanford (3 years), Notre Dame (3 years), and Washington (3 years). That's 17 years BCS defensive coordinator experience - with the vast majority of that in the Pac-12. While the defense obviously struggled on Friday night, I think it is very unlikely that he is "over his head."

Go back and check his defensive stats when he was at those places - in particular the Notre Dame and Washington years where he was with Tyrone Willingham. Those were some awful defenses he led in those 6 years.

Go back and check his defensive stats when he was at those places - in particular the Notre Dame and Washington years where he was with Tyrone Willingham. Those were some awful defenses he led in those 6 years.

I don't give two ****s what his defensive stats were. The fact of the matter is - he's got the most BCS coordinator experience of anyone on the entire staff. He may not be worth a damn as a coordinator, but saying he is "over his head" with his experience is just stupid.

I don't give two ****s what his defensive stats were. The fact of the matter is - he's got the most BCS coordinator experience of anyone on the entire staff. He may not be worth a damn as a coordinator, but saying he is "over his head" with his experience is just stupid.

You right Col. it was a bad choice of words,..... is this better, as a P5 coordinator he F****** Sucks ?

What did he even do, I saw the flag but was on the phone at the time, just talking **** or something?

so, why didn't csu need more time, patience and endless repetitions to re-build their offensive line?

Back