What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Linda Lappe has resigned as WBB Head Coach

Damn, never feel good about anyone losing their job but probably for the best. Aim for the best RG!

Am I reading too much into her omitting RG and Ceal from the list of people she says thank you to?

That's interesting that she doesn't thank RG and Ceal. Article on cubuffs.com says CU will honor her contract so she should be thanking RG.

Definitely needed to happen.

For the guru's here, who are some likely candidates and coaches you'd like to see get a shot.

At first I read it as "re-signing" and couldn't believe it. Whew!

Good luck in the future!

Another step closer to not having any Bohn ties on staff.....wish it would have worked for her but in the best interest of the program

Am I reading too much into her omitting RG and Ceal from the list of people she says thank you to?

I don't know. RG didn't hire her but he did end her tenure. That doesn't surprise me. Not mentioning Ceal does, though. That's her mentor who stuck her neck out to get Linda the job as an unproven young coach. Maybe there's something behind the scenes. Maybe just a matter of not wanting to draw attention to that aspect of things, but I found it a little weird.

Whatever, though. I don't want to try to read between the lines too much. Her statement was appropriate and classy. She'll always be a Buff. No one questions that she put her blood, sweat and tears into it or that she wishes well for the program into the future. So I can thank her for her time & efforts, wish her well in her life & career, close the chapter, and look to the future of the program.

Time to move on and rebuild this into a program that it should be. Better recruiting with the new staff is a must.

Personally would like to see RG go for an assistant at a program like UConn, **** Baylor, South Carolina, Stanford, or Oregon State.

Best wishes to Coach Lappe.

It will be interesting to see what type of hire is made. In general, it doesn't look like CU likes to go the assistant coach route, (edit- or for that matter the other options I can think of- pro coach moving to college, or prior P5 head coach). From the hires I can remember by the current and prior AD's office, It looks like all but two of the hires by the last AD*** (I can think of 9 Bohn team sport hires- 3 football, 4 total basketball, 1 volleyball, 1 lacrosse) were head coaches moving up to the Buffs from a "lower" conference, and in the one hire so far under the new AD (volleyball, head coach at DU), that trend (???) has continued.

***The two exceptions I can think of:
1) Embree in football;
2) Lacrosse- Bohn hired an assistant from one if not THE most prestigious women's lacrosse teams in the country (Northwestern). Lacrosse might be a special situation, however, since as a big growth sport, assume there may not be that many experienced head coaches ever available, and any who are probably have MANY options. (Note- I'd say this hire of an assistant coach looks to be working out very well so far in lacrosse.)

Last edited:
I like choosing an assistant from a top level program you hope to emulate. That was done with Lacrosse. Someone who was part of getting everything done, from recruiting to game day coaching, in a competitive program. Of course, a head coach from a top level program is better, but I'd be surprised if CU hires any head coach away from another Pac 12 or top 25 program.

I would like to see an established HC who has some recruiting cache.

If RG wants to economize, though, I could see doing something similar to WLAX by hiring a Geno or VanDerveer assistant or something.

Good luck to LL. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to put a new coach in place.

It will be interesting. I know I was impressed and surprised how quickly the volleyball coach hire was made (Coach officially dismissed 12/3 (or at least announced on cubuffs); new coach formally announced 2 weeks later (12/17)). Hope the bball hire is as quick, at minimum to limit any player transfer damage, as well as give the new coach as much time as possible to start recruiting replacement player(s) if there ARE transfer or commit losses.

Hope they also involve the players in the hire process as they did in volleyball (http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=210560110&SPID=256&SPSID=3871) to help them feel some ownership in the process and give them some cool experience for their "real" post-collegian lives. So far, that athlete involvement approach seems to have worked in minimizing transfers, as no vball players I have heard of have announced their transfer after that coaching change, (although I assume volleyball transfers could still happen after this semester ends).

It will also be interesting for me to see how the bball hiring process vs. volleyball might be different for basketball given the different circumstances of the 2 coach replacements, with the bball change I assume based primarily on on-court win-loss problems, while the volleyball change was probably caused mainly by off-court issues.

I would like to see an established HC who has some recruiting cache.

If RG wants to economize, though, I could see doing something similar to WLAX by hiring a Geno or VanDerveer assistant or something.

If they look at assistants, the likely assistant coaches to be looking at are those that have the "associate head coach" title. You will not get those people from a UConn or Stanford. In both of those cases the associate HCs have been in their positions for 30+ years, the same as the head coaches. They are as much institutions as Geno and Tara. Would have to be looking at some of the not-quite-that-level-of-prestige schools.

I would prefer the established head coach route. Coaches who have been very successful at lower level D1 schools or top D2 schools; who have won championships at those schools or won "coach of the year" honors; who have recruited good players and developed them into even better players, etc. The PAC example of that model is Scott Rueck at OSU who took an almost dead program into conference champions. He was previously at the top of D2, with his team winning championships and going undefeated.

Last edited:
That's interesting that she doesn't thank RG and Ceal. Article on cubuffs.com says CU will honor her contract so she should be thanking RG.

Definitely needed to happen.

I didn't read the article yet, but I wonder in what way they'll "honor her contract." I posted this in another thready, but I believe that she was set to make about $170K/year in salary until 2019, but an older article said she could claim like $270K/year if terminated. My question is whether they'll give her salary for 3 years or the higher buyout number. For the CU AD, $300K over three years is a small, but not unnoticeable amount of money.

Whatever, though. I don't want to try to read between the lines too much. Her statement was appropriate and classy. She'll always be a Buff. No one questions that she put her blood, sweat and tears into it or that she wishes well for the program into the future. So I can thank her for her time & efforts, wish her well in her life & career, close the chapter, and look to the future of the program.

I was wondering when her outgoing press conference will be.

Have a look at Jonathan Tsipis , HC at George Washington. 92-37 record on 4 years as HC. Went to WNIT on second year, NCAA on third year. This year have a 26-6 (13-3) record.

Or how about raiding the staff of CSU? I noticed they have a perfect conference record

Last edited:
Sad day for all involved. Linda Lappe will forever be a CU Buff. Glad they allowed some dignity by allowing her to resign. Those of you that had been reading the other posts know my thoughts, but I wish Lappe nothing but success in the future. She is a good person and deserves that. I also hope that RG and Ceal find someone who can return the CU women's program to prominence.

Oh and I am not holding my breath waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Have a look at Jonathan Tsipis , HC at George Washington. 92-37 record on 4 years as HC. Went to WNIT on second year, NCAA on third year. This year have a 26-6 (13-3) record.

Or how about raiding the staff of CSU? I noticed they have a perfect conference record

The CSU HC is a "win now" guy who's proven adept at recruiting in Europe and in JCs. This is why I mentioned him earlier.

I didn't read the article yet, but I wonder in what way they'll "honor her contract." I posted this in another thready, but I believe that she was set to make about $170K/year in salary until 2019, but an older article said she could claim like $270K/year if terminated. My question is whether they'll give her salary for 3 years or the higher buyout number. For the CU AD, $300K over three years is a small, but not unnoticeable amount of money.

I think it was Howell who said she had 800k and change left on her contract.

Back