What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lindgren, Sefo, OL, Play Calling, OH MY

I'd think the coaches see it. But someone, Montez maybe, has to step up and take the job. I have to believe the coaches evaluate and put the guy who gives us the best chance to win out on the field.

The coaches have to be committed to a QB competition before a guy has any chance to take the job. Hard to say the coaches have been all that open to competition to this point.

The coaches have to be committed to a QB competition before a guy has any chance to take the job. Hard to say the coaches have been all that open to competition to this point.
But there has to be a reason for that up to this point, no? So many scre for Apsay, yet nobody is present in the meeting/locker room. They weren't going to burn Montez' red shirt and they knew exactly what they had in Gherke, and that wasn't the answer. This isn't directed at you, Duff, but why is it so hard for people to believe that Sefo gives this team the best chance to win?

But there has to be a reason for that up to this point, no? So many scre for Apsay, yet nobody is present in the meeting/locker room. They weren't going to burn Montez' red shirt and they knew exactly what they had in Gherke, and that wasn't the answer. This isn't directed at you, Duff, but why is it so hard for people to believe that Sefo gives this team the best chance to win?

How do you build QB depth if the backup QBs rarely play? That question has yet to answered by MacIntyre or anyone else. It is a self-fulfilling prophecy right now. Of course Sefo has to stay in, even though he looks visibly hurt, the other guys have not played any.

How do you build QB depth if the backup QBs rarely play? That question has yet to answered by MacIntyre or anyone else. It is a self-fulfilling prophecy right now. Of course Sefo has to stay in, even though he looks visibly hurt, the other guys have not played any.
Who is USC's back up QB? Stanford's? ASU's? UCLA? Are they trying to get their backups in the game in order to develop depth?

I agree that Apsay should have gotten all or most of the Nicholls game. But would him playing a half against a glorified D2 school really going to prepare him for facing a UCLA defense, on the road, under a minute left when they have to score a TD?

You develop QB depth in practice and by recruiting well, not by putting your back ups in the game to throw a few meaningless passes and mostly hand it off in garbage time.

So that's it? Sefo is the guy, takes 99% of the snaps, and we just roll with it? Yikes.

So that's it? Sefo is the guy, takes 99% of the snaps, and we just roll with it? Yikes.
Like it or not, the answer is "Yep. That's it." Yell "Yikes" all you want. I can't believe our third string QB has become such a legend.

Who is USC's back up QB? Stanford's? ASU's? UCLA? Are they trying to get their backups in the game in order to develop depth?

I agree that Apsay should have gotten all or most of the Nicholls game. But would him playing a half against a glorified D2 school really going to prepare him for facing a UCLA defense, on the road, under a minute left when they have to score a TD?

You develop QB depth in practice and by recruiting well, not by putting your back ups in the game to throw a few meaningless passes and mostly hand it off in garbage time.
I have to disagree, with this one. Not only should Apsay have started the Nichols St game, I'm a big fan of the one series in the 2nd quarter and one series in the 3rd development of your backup QB. The coaches have put themselves in a situation where they have essentially no choice but to play Sefo because they have done nothing to prove with live bullets flying that Apsay can handle it. And yes, you do have to be in real situations to figure out what you have at QB. Look no further than Conner Wood to prove this point.

I have to disagree, with this one. Not only should Apsay have started the Nichols St game, I'm a big fan of the one series in the 2nd quarter and one series in the 3rd development of your backup QB. The coaches have put themselves in a situation where they have essentially no choice but to play Sefo because they have done nothing to prove with live bullets flying that Apsay can handle it. And yes, you do have to be in real situations to figure out what you have at QB. Look no further than Conner Wood to prove this point.
Assay, unless it's changed, isn't even the backup. This "Apsay Love" is irrational.

This team doesn't have the luxury, IMO, of chalking up multiple series in a game to QB development. That is what the half dozen live scrimmages in Spring, Summer and Fall camp are for.

To me, this staff sees a huge gap between Sefo and Apsay in practice and those scrimmages, and therefore have little to no confidence in him during a live game. They are trying to win games, not develop their backup QB.

For me the problem with the offensive coaching staff is they don't see a difference in players. Spruce, Fields and Donavon Lee are the only playmakers at this point. Lindsay is good but he's not capable of breaking a tackle or 2 and housing one but he is good. My point being UCLA has 2 playmakers Perkins and Peyton. They get those guys the ball 90% of the time and everyone knows it and it doesn't matter because they are better than you. Lindgren talks about he doesn't care what back is in, that's a problem. Once you demonstrate that you are committed to getting the ball to your playmakers then things become open for Ross and Bobo types. I liked the article a few weeks ago maybe look at what your players can't do instead of what they can do

The staff screwed up big time with not starting Apsay in the Nicholls game and the end of the Arizona State game. No conceivable answer can be given in those situations. Everyone and their grandma could tell Sefo was hurt and couldn't play against Nicholls. If not that game, then it won't ever happen. I am not sure anyone thinks he should be getting time in meaningful games, but we've had times (blowouts) where he should have gotten substantial reps. No one can question that.

Maybe the strategy is to let Sefo get the **** beat out of him for 4 years while they try and rebuild some depth.

Like it or not, the answer is "Yep. That's it." Yell "Yikes" all you want. I can't believe our third string QB has become such a legend.

Well, for 1, he's the 2nd string. Notice Sefo didn't have to waive Gherke off the field?

2nd, I don't care if Elway is back there, if he's broken, HE CAN"T HELP. I don't know why this is so confusing to people. The first pass he threw after waiving Apsay off the field looked like Peyton threw it from the operating table.

Well, for 1, he's the 2nd string. Notice Sefo didn't have to waive Gherke off the field?

2nd, I don't care if Elway is back there, if he's broken, HE CAN"T HELP. I don't know why this is so confusing to people. The first pass he threw after waiving Apsay off the field looked like Peyton threw it from the operating table.
Yeah, I was wrong. Apsay is #2 on the depth chart, but #1 in our hearts!

Last edited:
Maybe the strategy is to let Sefo get the **** beat out of him for 4 years while they try and rebuild some depth.
How do you build depth if the players never see the field? Basically, you want a 4th year true freshman to play. . .

How do you build depth if the players never see the field? Basically, you want a 4th year true freshman to play. . .

Well, putting Assay in today does not get you a win anymore than Sefo does. Because our OL can't block to save their lives. In the future one would hope that recruiting at the OL improves in concert with QB recruiting. Thus, when Sefo graduates Apsay will have enough practice to start. Maybe the coaches know that Assay is not the answer and hope that Montez is and he will be the one. I have no knowledge of that. I dont think, given the ease at which pressure is applied to the QB that either would fare any better. The game is won and lost at the line of scrimage.

He needs to go. That is all.
i-gotta-go-bye.gif

Its like a coaching Napoleon complex, he has some sort of compulsion to prove how smart he is by doing the unexpected.

So the OC should call plays that are expected? That sounds like a sound plan. No way does the opposing team figure that out!

So the OC should call plays that are expected? That sounds like a sound plan. No way does the opposing team figure that out!
They never stopped the run up the middle. We took that play away, not them.

How'd the play action pass to Ross on the slant work out?

Very seldom am I a fan of constantly running up the middle, but when they can't stop it, why do we stop running it?

They never stopped the run up the middle. We took that play away, not them.

How'd the play action pass to Ross on the slant work out?

Very seldom am I a fan of constantly running up the middle, but when they can't stop it, why do we stop running it?
The PAC 12 color guy compared it to eating cookies and one is good and has been working all day and you go to another cookie just because. Lindgren does stupid **** just because. He called a good game but was atrocious to finish drives. That is part of his M.O.

Back