What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Linebackers

So starting LBs would be...???...Gillam, Watanabe, Olugbode, Gilbert/Awini? That would be a pretty good LB corp IMO.

So starting LBs would be...???...Gillam, Watanabe, Olugbode, Gilbert/Awini? That would be a pretty good LB corp IMO.

In a 3-4 McCartney would be a starting OLB.

Probably something like Gillam, Watanabe, Olugbode, McCartney.

In a 4-3 for passing downs McCartney gets moved to a 5 technique DE and Awuzie/Awini comes in as a nickelback

Add to that if Rippy is finally playing to his potential, we'll have a little depth to go along with some speed and toughness.

This is all pie in the sky until they take the field, though. Last years team was supposed to be great along the DL and it turned out to be crap.

3 weeks ago we were all worrying about the LB's (weakest link?). I feel this group and our DB's are going to be really good. If the DL can now play to the potential we expected? The defense is going to look a whole lot better then last season.

Believe the LB hype when I see it. It would certainly be impressive if the group managed to be worse than last year though (and yes, I know Gillam's injury played into that).

Excited about Watanabe.

Last years team was supposed to be great along the DL and it turned out to be crap.

We all knew we were playing a lot of underclassmen last year. When Hennington went down last year it was a big deal, this year its an afterthought.

3 weeks ago we were all worrying about the LB's (weakest link?). I feel this group and our DB's are going to be really good. If the DL can now play to the potential we expected? The defense is going to look a whole lot better then last season.

The worry with the LB corp is how thin the depth is.

Gillam
Olugbode
McCartney (kind of)
Severson

Are the only known quantities at LB.

We are counting on the following to be impact players, asap.

Watanabe, FR
Falo, FR
Gamboa, FR
Rippy, JR
Awini, JR

The worry with the LB corp is how thin the depth is.

Gillam
Olugbode
McCartney (kind of)
Severson

Are the only known quantities at LB.

We are counting on the following to be impact players, asap.

Watanabe, FR
Falo, FR
Gamboa, FR
Rippy, JR
Awini, JR

Your list includes 3 freshman who have never played a snap of college football and 4 guys who have played little or no LB at the college level.

We will have to see how they do under pressure. We know that Awini is a bright guy and should pick it up quickly, Severson and Rippy haven't played much but have been around and at least practiced.

With all of this it still wouldn't be surprising to see them play one less LB in a lot of situations and play Moeller instead as a hybrid S/LB, especially since he came in at 212 this year which is as big as some PAC12 LBs are anyways and he hits like a LB.

Should be worrying about the starters at LB too.

Yep - Olgubode was a liability last year and should be considered one this year as well until he proves us otherwise. So far, we have Gillam and a lot of unknowns. The fact that Leavitt won't make any predictions/goals (outside of get bet better everyday) should tell you all you need to know (kind of like MM not speaking about bowls last year).

I find it interesting that Awini is one of our OLB/Rush Ends, and has also been seeing time at the Nickel CB spot... Typically, those positions aren't simply interchangeable.... Either he is the most athletic guy on the team, or JL has a somewhat redefined role for the Nickel position.

Yep - Olgubode was a liability last year and should be considered one this year as well until he proves us otherwise. So far, we have Gillam and a lot of unknowns. The fact that Leavitt won't make any predictions/goals (outside of get bet better everyday) should tell you all you need to know (kind of like MM not speaking about bowls last year).

Olugbode got better as the season went on, I would expect that to continue.

Yep - Olgubode was a liability last year and should be considered one this year as well until he proves us otherwise. So far, we have Gillam and a lot of unknowns. The fact that Leavitt won't make any predictions/goals (outside of get bet better everyday ) should tell you all you need to know (kind of like MM not speaking about bowls last year).

That's a goal that he knows from experience works very, very well for rebuilding a football team.

I would say that Olugbode was a liability in the beginning of the year, but by the last quarter/third of the season I feel like he was one of the most consistent players on the defense.

All I know for sure is that if Baer was half the coach at LB as he was a coordinator on the D........

Then this years LB crew will be much improved.

I would say that Olugbode was a liability in the beginning of the year, but by the last quarter/third of the season I feel like he was one of the most consistent players on the defense.

Olugbode was a below average P5 linebacker by the end of the season. That's a huge improvement from the beginning when he was running around like a chicken with its head cut off against CSU.

Olugbode was a below average P5 linebacker by the end of the season. That's a huge improvement from the beginning when he was running around like a chicken with its head cut off against CSU.

Wow...two completely different perspectives. Who is correct here?

KO will benefit a lot from the new scheme designed to let him run free. And he's carrying 10-15 lbs more muscle this year. I think he'll have a good season.

KO will benefit a lot from the new scheme designed to let him run free. And he's carrying 10-15 lbs more muscle this year. I think he'll have a good season.
Good point. If he has to take on blockers again this year, we are screwed. This goes for any linebacker, but his speed allows him to track players down very quickly.

The ability to shed blockers is a talent like cutting, adding a few pounds doesn't mean he's going to be measurably better at it. I'd temper expectations here.

My problem with KO is that he doesn't seem to have good instincts. He chases fakes, he overruns the cutback, he seems to be constantly out of position.

Is that something that is teachable? We will find out because he now has a better DC calling the shots, someone who knows LB play.

Shedding blockers is another question, some guys just seem instinctually good at it. There are techniques involved though that can be taught and again the question of reading and making the right play, do you find the hole or do you find the blocker?

The ability to shed blockers is a talent like cutting, adding a few pounds doesn't mean he's going to be measurably better at it. I'd temper expectations here.

I don't know if I fully agree with this statement. It is a talent somewhat but adding weight, strength and power definitely helps when trying to get people off of you, especially lineman.

My problem with KO is that he doesn't seem to have good instincts. He chases fakes, he overruns the cutback, he seems to be constantly out of position.

Is that something that is teachable? We will find out because he now has a better DC calling the shots, someone who knows LB play.

Shedding blockers is another question, some guys just seem instinctually good at it. There are techniques involved though that can be taught and again the question of reading and making the right play, do you find the hole or do you find the blocker?

Maybe has has tini arms?

Back