What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Link to Coach Mac talking now

It's been so hard to swallow these losses (i'm ridiculed everyday about the Buffs at work) but I'm with Mac, and Embro has my full support! Embro and this staff are right for this job. If Dillon or the QB recruit from Washington pans out, the buffs should be pretty good in a couple of years. Heck, the Buffs will be 2 deep at every position because everyone will have game experience. Everyone wants instant results, but it we did hire a new Coach, it would still take someone at least 3 years to turn this ship around. Be patient! Go Buffs!

Finally, a "Shoulder-To-Shoulder" Fan!

Hey, I'm not saying we're getting good or bad recruits, the verdict will come out on that in a couple of years, right??? If perhaps these freshman are talented, it will show once they get some experience, right? I think some of these Coaches are/were well known for being great recruiters and that's what we, as Buff fans, need to be praying for. Whether its Embro at the helm or someone else.

Recruiting is more than just a coin flip. If the Buffs are recruiting against non-BCS schools and losing dozens of recruits to conference rivals, it does not take a genius to figure out the will likely struggle because the players are not that good.

I'm seriously starting to wonder about fans who think recruiting is some total crapshoot and that good teams just seem to accumulate talent purely by chance.

This Whole Post...... Yup :nod:

What recruiting pitch would you use to get results?

Any program in the nation can say, "do you want to play for us, or do you want to play for the WTITN?"
"So, ya like Porches do ya?" Nah, cars are too easy to track. How about, "So, does your mom have any experience working in banks?"

"So, ya like Porches do ya?" Nah, cars are too easy to track. How about, "So, does your mom have any experience working in banks?"

unicorn__football__and_mikey_way_by_listy-d4kjw19.jpg

I would like to see Mac back off at CU sponsored press stuff. He is a CU legend and all that but I'm tired of his preaching from 'the day' and his old stories. If he wants to spout, let him blog or join Allbuffs. He no longer represents the University in any official capacity and shouldn't be allowed. Call a ****ing radio sports talk show or write a letter to the editor. Give it up old dude.

Recruiting is more than just a coin flip. If the Buffs are recruiting against non-BCS schools and losing dozens of recruits to conference rivals, it does not take a genius to figure out the will likely struggle because the players are not that good.

I'm seriously starting to wonder about fans who think recruiting is some total crapshoot and that good teams just seem to accumulate talent purely by chance.

They only think that when recruiting is bad. Show them a bunch of 4* and 5* signees as part of a Top 10 recruiting class and they'll sing a different tune. (I don't see too many people on the boards questioning whether our basketball recruiting classes are talented enough to win.)

One thing I do want to add, though, is that even if you're recruiting at the USC/Texas/Alabama/Florida State level I think you can question a coaching staff that doesn't sign a couple unheralded headscratchers every class. If a coaching staff doesn't discover some guys while out on the recruiting trail or doing film review of a different target, then they're not working very hard and are just going off the Rivals database to set their recruiting targets. The problem I'm having with our current recruiting is that this should be 2 or 3 guys in a class... not 12-15.

Just listened to Mac and CJ. I tell ya, they make compelling arguments for giving Embree time and being patient. One thing for sure, Mac is not old and senile. He knows what he's talking about more than any anonymous internet poster. CJ spends a lot of time on campus and around the program. He, as well, preaches patience. I know this doesn't mean much, but Embree called each player, every one of them, into his office, one at a time, and spent 10 minutes with them. Mac and CJ understand the fan anger. They understand the team issues. They see something that most of us do not see and that is, according to them, the team has potential. Mac right out said this game is our best chance for a win. He said the second year can be the toughest because you have 3 of your predecessor's classes and 2 of yours and, in Embree's case, he is playing a lot of his young guys and paying the price for it.

The thing that struck me the most: When Mac became coach, he was the 4th coach in 7 years. Since he coached, we've averaged a new coach every 3 years. His argument, which I buy, is that there is no way a program can be sustainable doing that. I know, most of us wish for a white knight to come riding in to save the program. I think we need a reality check.

You guys buying into the talk sound like idots. I'm sick of the bull**** sales pitch. I guess suckers are born every minute. The facts absolutely scream otherwise. I'll stick with the facts.

My concern is more of a fundamental problem. I don't believe we have skilled coordinators. I see a staff that's a bunch of very good position coaches and I don't see Embree being willing to make changes at OC or DC -- especially OC.

You guys buying into the talk sound like idots. I'm sick of the bull**** sales pitch. I guess suckers are born every minute. The facts absolutely scream otherwise. I'll stick with the facts.
Shut the **** up. If you want to call people idiots, go somewhere else.

My concern is more of a fundamental problem. I don't believe we have skilled coordinators. I see a staff that's a bunch of very good position coaches and I don't see Embree being willing to make changes at OC or DC -- especially OC.
Yes, that is certainly the issue. Mac believes in the coaching staff. I have my doubts on, at least, some of them. Hopefully Embree isn't too loyal and is willing to assess the problems and make tough decisions. That is what a good manager has to do. That is also why I suck at managing.

Positivity from friends means next to nothing. I listened and was mostly laughing.

Did your parents ever spank you? I kind of don't think so. My dad had a badass belt. That ****er scared the **** out of me and my sisters.
Stop thinking about spanking me. And **** ya I got spanked.

Just listened to Mac and CJ. I tell ya, they make compelling arguments for giving Embree time and being patient. One thing for sure, Mac is not old and senile. He knows what he's talking about more than any anonymous internet poster. CJ spends a lot of time on campus and around the program. He, as well, preaches patience. I know this doesn't mean much, but Embree called each player, every one of them, into his office, one at a time, and spent 10 minutes with them. Mac and CJ understand the fan anger. They understand the team issues. They see something that most of us do not see and that is, according to them, the team has potential. Mac right out said this game is our best chance for a win. He said the second year can be the toughest because you have 3 of your predecessor's classes and 2 of yours and, in Embree's case, he is playing a lot of his young guys and paying the price for it.

The thing that struck me the most: When Mac became coach, he was the 4th coach in 7 years. Since he coached, we've averaged a new coach every 3 years. His argument, which I buy, is that there is no way a program can be sustainable doing that. I know, most of us wish for a white knight to come riding in to save the program. I think we need a reality check.

Here's a problem I have with that line of thinking...

Bob Stoops (OU) - 2nd year = National Championship
Urban Meyer (Florida) - 2nd year = National Championship
Jim Tressel (Ohio State) - 2nd year = National Championship
Chip Kelly (Oregon) - 2nd year = Played for National Championship
Nick Saban (LSU) - 2nd year = Won SEC
Nick Saban (Alabama) - 2nd year = Played for SEC Championship (finished 12-2)
Mark Richt (Georgia) - 2nd year = Won SEC
Brian Kelly (Notre Dame) - 2nd year = 8-5
Steve Sarkisian (Washington) - 2nd year = 7-6 (UW went 0-12 two years prior)
Jim Harbaugh (Stanford) - 2nd year = 5-7 (Stanford went 1-11 two years prior)

I can continue on -- there are LOTS of coaches who showed, at least, signs of improvement in their 2nd year!!!

The bottom line is, under Dan Hawkins the Buffs were close to a .500 team in 3 out of his 5 years, including the games Cabral coached the team in 2010. 6-7 in 2007, 5-7 in 2008, and 5-7 in 2010. Not a good team but not a terrible team, either. Certainly a team much better than what has been shown in 2011 and 2012 (to date).

I think McCartney's math is a little off (or DBT's is, one or the other). Neuheisel was CU's coach for 4 years. Barnett coached CU for 7 years. Hawkins coached for 5 years. That's 3 coaches over 16 years - or one every 5+ years.

I'm not looking for a white knight. This program stinks. It needs lots of work. I get that. But get a ****ing plan and play like you know what you're doing. Get a system, based upon your players' talents, and stick to it. Coach the players up. Not just the players that YOU recruit -- EVERY PLAYER ON THE TEAM. They can ALL get better. Show me that - each week - the team is IMPROVING. If the team just gets better each week, the wins will eventually come. This team right now is NOT improving each week. If anything, through three games they have gotten progressively WORSE each week.

So we should keep Embree regardless of what his team does on the field because hiring a new coach shows that we're in a cycle of epic ******ness? Solid logic.

I had a lot of hope coming into this year. I knew we would be overmatched by most of the teams on the schedule but expected that we would win some games we should and surprise a couple we shouldn't.

Have no question in my mind that Hawkins left a flat out terrible roster that severely lacked in both talent and leadership. To make it worse they had accepted losing and had no concept of how to work and improve.

With all of that going on I think that Embrees first two classes were better than most are giving them credit for. The size, speed, athleticism, and skill level of the team is much better than the guys Hawkins was bringing in. Of course some of the recruits have not been that good. The recruits who are low risk tend to go to schools with winning records and established recruiting pipelines. The staff has done a pretty good job of finding guys who have a chance to succeed at this level.

Unfortunately after a year and a half of good signs things have turned south this year. The first and worst thing is the terrible performance on the field. Experience or not losing to a pathetic CSU squad in the manner they did is inexcusable. Losing to a mid-level FCS school is worse. Bottom of the barrel is the complete lack of interest and effort shown at Fresno. This team should have been embarrassed to go back into the locker room with a COLORADO sign on the door. After winning 2 out of the last 3 last year including a road game at Utah it seemed that the attitude issues were being overcome. This years games have shown that not to be true and in fact at Fresno it looked like the players had no interest in what the coaches had to say, or much else.

This has only highlighted some other issues that exist in the program. The OL which was supposed to be the strength of the team has been a joke. Marshall is repeating the pathetic job he did at Cal. To make things worse he also hasn't held up his end of things in recruiting. Colorado has had the best two year group of offensive line prospects maybe in the history of the state and Marshall failed to convince a single one that CU was the place to go. Looking at the lack of development and coordination on the OL I can understand why.

We have also seen a major drop-off in the apparent quality of this years recuits. We have a couple of exciting prospects but one of those looks to be leaving us now. Most of the rest may become good players but not a lot of other competing schools think they will.

Our problem is that if we keep Embree and staff to long and have a couple of non-contributing classes along with further enforcing the losing attitudes it will be that much harder for the next guy. Cut our losses at the end of this year and we give the new coach a stronger situation talentwise than Embree took over, wait and we sink further.

Here's a problem I have with that line of thinking...

Bob Stoops (OU) - 2nd year = National Championship
Urban Meyer (Florida) - 2nd year = National Championship
Jim Tressel (Ohio State) - 2nd year = National Championship
Chip Kelly (Oregon) - 2nd year = Played for National Championship
Nick Saban (LSU) - 2nd year = Won SEC
Nick Saban (Alabama) - 2nd year = Played for SEC Championship (finished 12-2)
Mark Richt (Georgia) - 2nd year = Won SEC
Brian Kelly (Notre Dame) - 2nd year = 8-5
Steve Sarkisian (Washington) - 2nd year = 7-6 (UW went 0-12 two years prior)
Jim Harbaugh (Stanford) - 2nd year = 5-7 (Stanford went 1-11 two years prior)

I can continue on -- there are LOTS of coaches who showed, at least, signs of improvement in their 2nd year!!!

The bottom line is, under Dan Hawkins the Buffs were close to a .500 team in 3 out of his 5 years, including the games Cabral coached the team in 2010. 6-7 in 2007, 5-7 in 2008, and 5-7 in 2010. Not a good team but not a terrible team, either. Certainly a team much better than what has been shown in 2011 and 2012 (to date).

I think McCartney's math is a little off (or DBT's is, one or the other). Neuheisel was CU's coach for 4 years. Barnett coached CU for 7 years. Hawkins coached for 5 years. That's 3 coaches over 16 years - or one every 5+ years.

I'm not looking for a white knight. This program stinks. It needs lots of work. I get that. But get a ****ing plan and play like you know what you're doing. Get a system, based upon your players' talents, and stick to it. Coach the players up. Not just the players that YOU recruit -- EVERY PLAYER ON THE TEAM. They can ALL get better. Show me that - each week - the team is IMPROVING. If the team just gets better each week, the wins will eventually come. This team right now is NOT improving each week. If anything, through three games they have gotten progressively WORSE each week.
That pisses me off. So, I "report" something Mac says, because I think it is relevant, and now I'm the bad guy. **** you. At least I consider the arguments. You have all the answers. I do not.

Back