What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Little Brother already upset about the AFA scheduling

Why? I don't really see how attempting to compete in a P5 conference benefits the academy's mission in any way. Not like they need the money.

I think first we'd have to explore why fielding any athletic teams benefits the academy's mission. Then, why playing in the MWC supports the mission better than playing in a P5 conference (or dropping down to I-AA). I don't know the answers to those questions. As I see it, there would be a huge benefit to the AFA joining a P5 conference from an enlistment standpoint. Lots of free nationwide marketing for the Academy.

Yes - the assumption that we will beat AFA is ludicrous. AFA has been the best football team in the state for the past 10 years, easily.
This **** already? The game is in 5 years for heavens sake

I think first we'd have to explore why fielding any athletic teams benefits the academy's mission. Then, why playing in the MWC supports the mission better than playing in a P5 conference (or dropping down to I-AA). I don't know the answers to those questions. As I see it, there would be a huge benefit to the AFA joining a P5 conference from an enlistment standpoint. Lots of free nationwide marketing for the Academy.

I simply don't know enough on their situation to talk intelligently about it. I'm not sure that hitting enrollment numbers with the quality of applicants they want is an issue for the academies. It might not be. My uninformed impression was always that with financing and applications that the academies are like the Ivy schools, but that they emphasize sports a bit more because of competition values, school spirit and athletic tradition being more of a premium.

See below and link (apologies for the author):

"Know what the biggest shocker in Air Force's decision might be?

Given an opportunity to join Oklahoma and Texas in a revamped Big 12, the Falcons have said thanks, but no thanks.

"We were approached by the Big 12, and I told them we're not a good fit for that conference. In the Big 12, geography makes sense, the economics make sense, but recruiting makes no sense for us. I can't recruit against Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State," Mueh said.

"That's why I turned down the Big 12. I can't do that to my kids, because they'll get beat up. I'd love the extra $12 million or whatever it would be per year from the TV money. And I know how I'd spend the money. I'd build a new soccer stadium, and I'd build a new baseball facility, all in one year. But I can't do that."

Read more: Mark Kiszla: Air Force preparing to leave Mountain West for Big East - The Denver Post

— On the possibility of joining the Big 12:

Parker: “What I’ve been telling people is that we need to be the very best version of Colorado State that we can be. We need to work hard to be good peers with our partners within the Mountain West. In doing that, we need to aggressively work hard to dominate them on the field of competition and on the courts every time we match up. The pathway, if that dialogue opens up, was pretty well proven by a program like TCU. If you can prove you can compete at the highest levels and you’ve made the appropriate investments in your program, you have a chance.

“But I’m not sure how much motivation there is within the Big 12 to expand. President (David) Boren (of Oklahoma) provided his comments, and that’s a viewpoint within the conference, but I think there are others that feel comfortable at 10 and I think what’s ultimately going to decide it for them is access to the (football) playoff. Do they feel a 10-member league is going to be accepted in that format or do they have to grow in order to provide their programs the best pathway into a championship playoff system.”

On the Colorado rivalry, in the wake of Colorado’s announced intention to not continue the series on an annual basis after the contract ends in 2020. (CU has said CSU will be a candidate to fill future openings, but will not be locked into an annual game.)

Parker: “Right now, we have an agreement that has them coming here in 2020. That’s one year we can point towards that they’re going to be here. . . There’s interest in them extending beyond 2020 and if they were to do that, I think they’re most comfortable with home and homes, which I think we would be, too. There will be opportunities for us in the future, if we don’t play CU beyond 2020 in Denver, there will be opportunities for us to play power fives, with our return game being at Sports Authority.”

http://blogs.denverpost.com/college...ybe-playing-other-power-five-in-denver/33603/

:lol:

Doesn't AFA have a weight limit too? Playing the MWC week to week isn't the same as playing the big boys week to week. I wouldn't mind seeing AFA in the Big 12 but I can understand their decision not to join.

Found a good article on it:

[h=3]How do service academies recruit?[/h]I posed that broad question to Calhoun, and his answer started out simply enough: "I don't think our process is different than anywhere else," he said.
On the surface, that's true. Calhoun and the coaches at Army and Navy go out in search of the best football players in the country to come to their schools, just like the coaches at every other Division I program. But it comes with a caveat: "just, the filters that are involved are a lot stronger."
Just a few of those filters:

• Academics. At Air Force, prospective players need to have at least a 3.5 high school GPA, a 25 on the ACT in all subjects, and a minimum of a 1200 two-part SAT score. Requirements are similarly rigorous at the other service academies. Lt. Col. Gaylord Greene, who works in admissions at Army, said coaches will often encourage recruits to take more core courses, since the school requires more of them for entry than most others do.
  • Height and weight requirements. They differ slightly by academy, but at Air Force, a 6'4 applicant cannot weigh more than 221 pounds for admission -- and must also not weigh more than that upon graduation. In some cases at the academies, athletes can be over the height or weight limits but must still adhere to stringent body fat restrictions. This makes recruiting offensive linemen very difficult. "I'd love to have a bunch of 320-pound guys with good feet," Calhoun said. "We've never had a 285-pound kid, which is very small for a Division I offensive lineman. We usually average 255 pounds with our offensive line."

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...0/college-football-military-service-academies

I simply don't know enough on their situation to talk intelligently about it. I'm not sure that hitting enrollment numbers with the quality of applicants they want is an issue for the academies. It might not be. My uninformed impression was always that with financing and applications that the academies are like the Ivy schools, but that they emphasize sports a bit more because of competition values, school spirit and athletic tradition being more of a premium.

My brother was a varsity wrestler at the academy and friends with a number of football players.

Your assessment is correct in that the academy wants to compete at a high level in athletics as a part their mission to develop leaders and as a way of recruiting kids who are top students and quality athletes which goes together frequently.

What they don't want to do is tip the scales in favor of athletics to a point that it requires compromising their mission. They do give athletes some allowances in terms of scheduling and academic assistance but in the end they still take a tough courseload and participate in all the military and leadership development activities.

They have made an assessment and determined that they can compete at a level of the MWC and be competitive without sacrificing their mission, going to a P5 conference they couldn't.

They do the same thing in Hockey. They play D1 hockey but have chosen to play in Atlantic Hockey despite the additional travel and reduced revenues rather than try to compete against national powers like DU in the NCHC.

My dad was a teacher at the Academy for a while. The athletes are allowed some freedom when it comes to the PT requirements, meaning they are allowed to increase their weight during the season, but must drop it back down to the standard weights during the offseason. It is not easy being an athlete at the service academies and they would never be able to be on equal footing in a P5 conference. I commend the AD at the AFA for knowing he cannot compromise the mission of the school and he cannot willingly put his students in a position where they will not be able to experience a decent amount of success.

That board is fun. I really like the recent conversations about joining the Big 10 conference. Seems logical....

:huh:

U guys see this today! Shapiro and Paige....CSU better program BigXII Bound

Smoke it CU!!!

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

Some serious trollin' going on over at RamNation, which is hilarious

I hope we punch them in the ****ing face this year. The perception has gotten so out of control, CU needs to grab the wheel and start steering again.

I remember getting a cease and desist letter from the owner of the old RM. that was fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure, the format of that board hurts the brain to read.

The format or the posters?

Just went over to take a look, they don't need meth.

Current argument is about 41,000 in the new stadium being to small, some idiot said it should be at least 55,000. What a flippin joke.

They have had trouble selling 20,000 seats in recent years even with some decent teams, a new stadium is magically going to double that. They need to stay away from large drop-offs they tend to randomly jump multiple directions for no logical reason.

Last edited:
this is why I hate Hawkins. You can throw out crazy stats about our ineptitude, and you don't know if they are true or not.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=292542649

Good to see that Cody had a QBR of 30.3 against a team like Toledo. I sometimes think people are not good at their jobs but that does not make them a bad person...I make an exception in Dan Hawkins case....He was totally without honor -sacrificing CU football for his son. That opinion might upset some people but I firmly believe that.

Good to see that Cody had a QBR of 30.3 against a team like Toledo. I sometimes think people are not good at their jobs but that does not make them a bad person...I make an exception in Dan Hawkins case....He was totally without honor -sacrificing CU football for his son. That opinion might upset some people but I firmly believe that.

I watched it first hand in the Kansas game that ended up finally getting him fired.

All of us in the stands at the time could not understand why the hell he wouldn't just run the damn ball, kill the clock, and go back to Boulder with a win. Scotty McKnight was probably the most angry I have ever seen a football player, threw his helmet into the wall surrounding the stadium hard enough I expected it to crack. The team knew Hawk sacrificed games for his kid, you could tell in the comments that came out after and their body language at times during.

What Hawk did and what HCMM are completely different IMO.

I watched it first hand in the Kansas game that ended up finally getting him fired.

All of us in the stands at the time could not understand why the hell he wouldn't just run the damn ball, kill the clock, and go back to Boulder with a win. Scotty McKnight was probably the most angry I have ever seen a football player, threw his helmet into the wall surrounding the stadium hard enough I expected it to crack. The team knew Hawk sacrificed games for his kid, you could tell in the comments that came out after and their body language at times during.

What Hawk did and what HCMM are completely different IMO.

You'll be singing a different tune after watching lil mac run the jet sweep 8 times a game.

Back