What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Local Media Coverage of firing/hiring - (was: Joel Klatt is having a meltdown)

He trotted that out last week.

Anyway, never expect Terry Frei to praise an administration for firing a coach. He is a coach's son stuck living in the 1960s/1970s where coaches did not make nearly as much money as today. Plus increased media exposure has dramatically changed college football (for better or worse). Frei wants it to be 40 years ago where coaches got plenty of time and the NCAA controlled TV broadcasts. Sorry, does not work that way.

:yeahthat:

In Frei's mind, college football programs should be run something like a Montessori school. Peace, love and happiness, and no nasty things like expectations of winning and accountability for losing should ever enter the picture. He is way too locked into thinking of every coach as being like his dad, and ideally would like them all to have jobs for life, mentoring young men in life while a few football games a year serve as an occasion for students and alumni to get together, sing the fight song, wear the colors and celebrate the school. Winning? That's a concern that has no place in Terry Frei's college football world.

I just looked at the results. Despite this radio station carrying water for Embree and loudly blasting this firing, the listeners are voting by 56% that firing Embree was the right decision.

Nik, I think you're confused here. Rumors suggest that it was Embree who was carrying the water...

:yeahthat:

In Frei's mind, college football programs should be run something like a Montessori school. Peace, love and happiness, and no nasty things like expectations of winning and accountability for losing should ever enter the picture. He is way too locked into thinking of every coach as being like his dad, and ideally would like them all to have jobs for life, mentoring young men in life while a few football games a year serve as an occasion for students and alumni to get together, sing the fight song, wear the colors and celebrate the school. Winning? That's a concern that has no place in Terry Frei's college football world.

Esp. when you look at his dad's record.

Klatt calling into The Fan right now, and he is being pathetic. Acknowledging that the media had palpable animosity when the administration came on the stage. Now blames Bohn for the coaches that Embree picked to hire.

Klatt calling into The Fan right now, and he is being pathetic. Acknowledging that the media had palpable animosity when the administration came on the stage. Now blames Bohn for the coaches that Embree picked to hire.

Not sure I agree with you here....think Klatt was dead on with his criticism of Bohn:

"If Bohn signed off on the Embree hire with that staff as he did, then he should have been prepared to give them the time they needed".....fairly accurate in that Embree either should not have been hired or should have been given a fair shake....hard to argue against that logic IMO

He was just interviewed on the Fan (104.3). He said that Jon was a great Buff, but at the end of the day he didn't get it done. Then he said that he knows there are lots of people interested in the CU job.

Solomon was a player at CU at the begining of my time at CU. He is another of the former Buffs who I greatly admire and he is a damn good guy to watch on NFL broadcasts.

Not sure I agree with you here....think Klatt was dead on with his criticism of Bohn:

"If Bohn signed off on the Embree hire with that staff as he did, then he should have been prepared to give them the time they needed".....fairly accurate in that Embree either should not have been hired or should have been given a fair shake....hard to argue against that logic IMO

And the fact that Embree got fired so quickly, leads credibility to the idea that Bohn was not the key point-man in that hire. i.e. Bohn never was in Embree's corner.

Bohn should share the blame of hiring Embree along with Benson, Phil, Mac, B4L and everyone else. Doesn't mean we shouldn't fix an obviously bad mistake soone than later.

Actually, it's really easy to argue against that logic.

How about: It was a high risk hire during a budget shortfall and we agreed to it at the time because there was support from the boosters and we didn't have another great candidate waiting in the wings, things have gone significantly worse than we anticipated and we're not comfortable with the path the program is on under Embree's leadership.

Not only that, but if Bohn could be politically incorrect he'd say Jon Embree should thank his lucky stars he ever got a head coaching opportunity in the first place. Sorry that we don't have three more years to cultivate his skills and develop him into an effective D1 coach.

Here's where you and I split Rraalph.

It's possible that the AD did not resource Coach Embree (not just water). It's a leader's job to ensure that his followers have what they need to do the job.

Even if the Athletic Director is purely at fault for that responsibility, Coach Embree still needs to be fired, because of the damage suffered by our brand and national repuation. It was a death spiral that needed a visible correction.

Does the AD need to go as well? Possibly. But fair or not, Coach Embree needed to be fired in my opinion, based on where we were. Again, it's quite possible it wasn't fair, but fair wasn't the objective here. It was too late for fair.

Ding, Ding Ding.....we have a winner.
I'm starting to think the conversation between Phil and Mike went like; "Mike, we can't afford the guys you want. Let's hire him cheap, we won't lose our ticket base, and if he doesn't work you can fire him when the PAC 12 money comes through."

And the fact that Embree got fired so quickly, leads credibility to the idea that Bohn was not the key point-man in that hire. i.e. Bohn never was in Embree's corner.

This could all be true....but I'm not sure we'll ever know how 100% true those rumors are

I find it difficult to believe that rumor completely given the fact that if Bohn had as much credibility to supposedly come to DiStefino and Benson on Saturday night and say, "I recommend we get rid of Embree" and they immediately said "Yes", that he did not some how play a part in giving the ok on Embree.....

Was kind of hoping someone would ask this question to him directly...."Did you want to hire Embree or did others play a much larger part in that decision 2 years ago?"

I will agree to stipulate to the following:

1. Bohn has not done a good job managing the CU football organization.
2. Embree is a good guy who is much-loved by former Buffs, current coaches, and the players he has coached.

I have no idea how either of those things impacts the reasons I have stated for believing that a coaching change was necessary.

I'm starting to think the conversation between Phil and Mike went like; "Mike, we can't afford the guys you want. Let's hire him cheap, we won't lose our ticket base, and if he doesn't work you can fire him when the PAC 12 money comes through."

+1. I think that it made so much sense to hire someone on the cheap who wouldn't anger core fans and could (theoretically) replenish the talent on the roster through strong recruiting.

If he was a winner, that's a bonus, but if not, you can dismiss the entire staff for cause and make a splash.

It's almost genius.

And, oh,

I'm undecided until we hear the 5 year old from gameday in Eugene weigh in.

I believe that was the thinking, but they didnt tell Bohn that.

Back