What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Looked a lot better than what I saw over the past half decade.

Everyone who liked the sell out blitzes and thought that was great aggressive defense - sorry those were acts of desperation. The Dline cannot get enough penetration without the blitz. As you saw it backfired several times. I know that Brown hated calling them but felt he had no choice.

The new staff gets one game with talent left over from Hawkins?

OK.

If you were around for chat last night, you know the Embree honeymoon was declared dead with 6 minutes remaining in the first quarter.....

Pathetic. Sorry but that is the way I see it. CU got beat up front on O. That was about the poorest OL performacne I have seen from a CU team. No worries about a bowl this year. I'd be surprised to see more than 3 W's after watching that mess last night.....

I blame, mostly, Bohn and Dr. Phil for letting the turd fester one year too long before pulling the chain. It will take a long time to undo the damage D II did, and they could have been one year towards recovery instead starting farther behind the eight ball by keeping HaLk an extra year. Gonna be a long season.

About the penalties. I'm normally the last guy to blame the refs for anything. In fact, I haven't pointed out too many bad calls since the offensive face mask against Miami in the early 90s.

But today I'll be the first.

That thing with Polk out of bounds, looked more like a momentum issue than a personal foul. I could be wrong, but at first I thought he was trying to hold him back, not push him.

The personal foul on Orms was a real headscratcher. Really? The whistle hasn't blown and Orms stops him from getting forward yards? Their helmets never touched.

Finally, I never saw holding called on Hawaii, but I felt as thought I saw a lot of holding.

Would it have made a difference? probably not (maybe). Should the coaches and team take responsibility for the loss? Absolutely.

Hard for me to believe that 4 new OL starters didn't commit one holding penalty.

I blame, mostly, Bohn and Dr. Phil for letting the turd fester one year too long before pulling the chain. It will take a long time to undo the damage D II did, and they could have been one year towards recovery instead starting farther behind the eight ball by keeping HaLk an extra year. Gonna be a long season.
This was the conclusion I came to this morning while working out. I was hoping that Embree & crew would magically turn this around quickly, but it seems clear that we're in for a long uphill climb before we get back to where we think we should be. What I'm hoping is that Bohn, DeStephano, & Benson didn't do irreparable harm to the program by not canning Hawk when they should have.

This was the conclusion I came to this morning while working out. I was hoping that Embree & crew would magically turn this around quickly, but it seems clear that we're in for a long uphill climb before we get back to where we think we should be. What I'm hoping is that Bohn, DeStephano, & Benson didn't do irreparable harm to the program by not canning Hawk when they should have.
I don't think it is irreparable, but when you have a team that has sucked for five years, and looking down the barrel of a sixth year of suckitude, it takes a special staff to dig out of that hole. I hope Embo and staff are that crew. Recruting kids to aprogram that has been a losing ride for as long as those recruits remember is hard to do.

The new staff gets one game with talent left over from Hawkins?

OK.

The problem with your statement is that Hawkins actually did leave some talent and we have a veteran team. I'm not saying we should win the Pac-12 but we shouldn't be losing to teams from the WAC by 17 either especially when we beat the same team by 20 points the year before. This isin't like Hawkins first year where the roster was litterally void of talent and we had young players starting all over the place.

I agree with Lefty. The O-line sucks from all world recruit Miller to start by default Adkins...not sure what happened to these kids. I think they suffer from something like the Stockholm syndrome. Hawkins convinced them that losing was preferable to winning. The line really does suck. No quarterback can be successful after being sacked 7 times and hurried the rest of the time. The Hawaii D-Line was eating cheeseburgers and sipping malts in CU's backfield. Its no wonder that the only yards Stewart gained were on draws and screens.

Very tough going on the road to Hawaii. First game with a new staff. Thin talent on the team. Loss. This is going to be a long year. We badly need an upgrade inh talent. My worst fears are coming true. It'll be interesting to see how/if this team improves from one week to the next.

Very tough going on the road to Hawaii. First game with a new staff. Thin talent on the team. Loss. This is going to be a long year. We badly need an upgrade inh talent. My worst fears are coming true. It'll be interesting to see how/if this team improves from one week to the next.

So we laid a turd coming out of the gate, this is where we see if this team has a heart. I have enough patience to wait at least a month before I make judgement on the coaching staff anyway.

The sign is back up in Dal Ward and the coaches are the players that put it there.

I'd also be interested to see how Hawaii's D-Line does in the next few weeks. They had some beef up front and they were quick.

So we laid a turd coming out of the gate, this is where we see if this team has a heart. I have enough patience to wait at least a month before I make judgement on the coaching staff anyway.

The sign is back up in Dal Ward and the coaches are the players that put it there.

I'd also be interested to see how Hawaii's D-Line does in the next few weeks. They had some beef up front and they were quick.

Good perspective.

When a team loses to Hawaii it means that the team isn't very good. Hawaii is much tougher in their stadium with their refs and time zone but a good team should still beat them, CU didn't.

We were actually much closer to beating them that anyone wants to admit, had them on the ropes when we pulled to within 10 in the third and got the fumble. Had we scored a TD instead of getting stoned and kicking the FG I think Hawaii would have folded the tent and we would have walked over them the rest of the game. Didn't happen, we screwed up, they got the stop, we then blew the KO and they were on their way. Even then we could have taken over the game had Sandersfeld not dropped a TD inteception he had clean.

I saw a different feel to this game and team than I have seen the last five years. They looked like they cared, they looked organized. The problem is that they also looked like a team that lacks talent and the fundamentals that come from working year after year on doing things the right way. Hansen may be out from under the shadow of Hawkins but he still looked like a guy who was afraid to make a mistake for fear of getting the coach mad at him, he didn't just go out and play. The easiest way to insure mistakes is to be afraid of mistakes and Hawkins pounded that into a bunch of these guys, it will take time.

Hansen is also like a lot of the Buffs, a decent player but not a difference maker. We saw a difference maker in Moniz and Hansen is not that guy. He is good enough to be part of a system but not good enough to make the system work when it is broken.

I believe that Embree and Co. will get this turned around but it will take time. This year may be a long season simply due to overcoming a lack of playmakers, depth, and ovecoming ingrained bad habits. You can have the best chef in the world but give him a loaf of bread and a bucket of turds and you are likely to end up with a turd sandwich. Hawkins left us with a big bucket of turds.

I'm also curious to see how Hawaii fares offensively for the rest of the season - whether they torch other teams through the air and whether the Moniz-scramble will become of staple of their offense. If so, that could could bode well for the Buffs.

Also, I don't care what Hawaii's hope-opener record is, it's still a tough place to play, especially when facing a senior QB like Moniz (he is a heisman candidate).

And you can call Hansen a senior QB all you want, but he's not a "senior QB"...he's a QB who happens to be a senior. He doesn't have the continuity of experience in a stable offensive system that your standard Senior QB has. I hoping that the coaching staff takes a hard look at some film and realizes that, while they would love to impose their pro-style attack at will, they need to use the strengths that they have.

That being said - I do see some winnable games that we aren't expected to win. But v. Luck and Thomas...oh GOOD GOD!

I know stats are for losers, but, on the bright side, we pretty much shut down their passing game. Our offense has to improve greatly and I like, at least, what EB is saying in the press. Their needs to be great improvement next week. I didn't know that Hawaii is picked to win the WAC. I know its the WAC but it makes me feel a little better. I just don't want to get sucked in like I did with the last regime. With the last regime, my gut began telling me something was wrong in year one. But I kept thinking they'd turn it around. My gut tells me the new regime is going to be good but I'm afraid to buy in. I need to see week to week improvement, I need to see us compete against every team we play, and I need to see recruiting go up a notch or two.

Along the recruiting lines, someone posted, maybe Boulder Buff, that the star rating of the guys who have committed so far is merely a place holder until the high school season gets going. Is their a chance that some of our verbals will see their rating go up?

My worst fears was that CU kept Volde-Hawk around for another year. If they had, this Hawaii game would have resembled the MU 58-0 games. Hawkins on the road, plus even less talent than we have now.....we would have been pounded by 40 or 50 points.

The problem with your statement is that Hawkins actually did leave some talent and we have a veteran team. I'm not saying we should win the Pac-12 but we shouldn't be losing to teams from the WAC by 17 either especially when we beat the same team by 20 points the year before. This isin't like Hawkins first year where the roster was litterally void of talent and we had young players starting all over the place.

lol - they is very little talent in the upper classes JRK. A few nice pieces, P Rich, Speedy is ok, possibly Bak. Who on defense? Major I guess. Who else? Polk is talented but has ZERO instinct for safety. This team has soooo much dead weight at the top. This next recruiting class is absolutely vital.

Talent? you see our corners and OL? we have one senior running back. a very average QB. One receiver that can catch the ball. That's not a lot of "talent"

Hawk left the talent barren just like Barnett did to Hawk.

Which is reason why Bohn should be gone. Embarrassing we allowed this to continue another year.

When we had to settle for 3 after the sack fumble by Diribe, that hurt us pretty bad. Put that in the endzone, it's a way different ball game. What momentum we got from that turnover, went away somewhat when we couldnt get 6 out of it. Then got a 3 and out I think and couldnt do anything with it, momentum switched. We had a few chances here and there after. Good teams make people pay for their **** ups. One thing that I am certain of, is our players do not know how to win. Alot of that is they havent done much winning around here the last few years and it does give you a certain mentality. Gotta find a way around that. When we continuously step on our dicks with the same stupid penalties, blown assignments, etc, some of it is an issue upstairs. Im not discounting our lack of talent and depth because thats obviously a problem too.

Last edited:
When we had to settle for 3 after the sack fumble by Diribe, that hurt us pretty bad. Put that in the endzone, it's a way different ball game. What momentum we got from that turnover, went away somewhat when we couldnt get 6 out of it. Then got a 3 and out I think and couldnt do anything with it, momentum switched. We had a few chances here and there after. Good teams may people pay for their **** ups. One thing that I am certain of, is our players do not know how to win. Alot of that is they havent done much winning around here the last few years and it does give you a certain mentality. Gotta find a way around that. When we continuously step on our dicks with the same stupid penalties, blown assignments, etc, some of it is an issue upstairs. Im not discounting our lack of talent and depth because thats obviously a problem too.

Agreed....Did you see the look on Jon's face during and after the kick? Total disgust, and I think he knew that they blew their chance....

When we had to settle for 3 after the sack fumble by Diribe, that hurt us pretty bad. Put that in the endzone, it's a way different ball game. What momentum we got from that turnover, went away somewhat when we couldnt get 6 out of it. Then got a 3 and out I think and couldnt do anything with it, momentum switched. We had a few chances here and there after. Good teams may people pay for their **** ups. One thing that I am certain of, is our players do not know how to win. Alot of that is they havent done much winning around here the last few years and it does give you a certain mentality. Gotta find a way around that. When we continuously step on our dicks with the same stupid penalties, blown assignments, etc, some of it is an issue upstairs. Im not discounting our lack of talent and depth because thats obviously a problem too.

^^^This^^^

When you don't have an edge in talent you have to have an edge in the mental and emotional sides of the game and unfortunately this team doesn't have that.

I have talked earlier about the FG after the fumble instead of a TD as well as the dropped interception that would have tied the game and given us the momentum. You can point to a number of other opportunities when the Buffs had the opportunity to make a play that would have changed the entire game and didn't.

Hawk always used to talk about being X plays away from winning the game. The problem was that his teams never made those plays and the opponents did. After five years of that "leadership" this team doesn't know how to make those plays, how to take advantage of the opportunity and the situation to turn losses into wins.

The talent situation is huge but the mental block may be just as big an obstacle for the current coaches to overcome.

Along the recruiting lines, someone posted, maybe Boulder Buff, that the star rating of the guys who have committed so far is merely a place holder until the high school season gets going. Is their a chance that some of our verbals will see their rating go up?

It's possible. But, like what happened to Shane Dillon after the Elite 11, it's also possible for their rating to go down.

Talent? you see our corners and OL? we have one senior running back. a very average QB. One receiver that can catch the ball. That's not a lot of "talent"

Hawk left the talent barren just like Barnett did to Hawk.

Hawk left the team a hell of a lot worse than Barnett did. We actually had a lot of talent left over from Barnett despite what the general impression seems to be. Especially on defense and our starting offensive line was good, just no depth. Only thing we were missing were a quarterback and wide receivers, which Hawkins never improved.

I'm not expecting more than one win this year and I will be ok with that if we end up with a really good recruiting class, which I am worried about

I'm a little frustrated by some of the comments about Hansen. He's not a world beater; but, he's pretty good, especially when you give him any reasonable amount of time. FYI: three guys in the QB's face after three seconds is not a reasonable amount of time. The O-Line played miserably. They got zero push off of the LOS in the run game and was getting Hansen in trouble in the passing game. Did he hold the ball too long? Yeah, he did so to avoid getting drilled and fumbling in the other team's territory. When there was a true pocket or they ran him on some boots, he was very accurate. The two TDs to P Rich were the kinds of sick throws that we need from him more often.

The D did better than expected, especially given how inexperienced we are at corner. We brought pressure and tackled better as the game went along. The young corners made plays because of the pressure that was coming from all around. I didn't like that we went away from the double a-gap blitzes. Hawaii had no answers for this pressure and we slowed down Moniz's ability to scramble with them as well. Ultimately, Sandersfeld dropping what would've been a pick-six was a big blow to our momentum. Kicking an FG after a big turn-over and a huge gain to get in the RZ was not enough.

In the end, the game was a heartbreak because I thought the O-Line just got punished. Seeing three defenders behind the LOS on a pitch or on a standard off guard run play made for a long day. Then, they gave up and let Hansen get thrown around like a rag doll for more sacks. If they hold up better, the result would've been very different.

PS: Hawaii's o-line were holding like a motherf***er. Hartigan would've gotten even more pressure if they didn't have two-three guys holding him with no recourse.

Back