What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Looking at our returning WR's... WillJeff to RS?

Darth Snow

Hawaiian Buffalo
Club Member
Junta Member
stolen from Buffnik's excellent recruiting forum work:
Returning WRs on Scholarship: 7
Senior - Scotty McKnight
Senior - Andre Simmons
Junior - Markques Simas
Junior - Toney Clemons
Sophomore - William Jefferson
RS-Freshman - Jarrod Darden
RS-Freshman - Terdema Ussery
Walk Ons - Cameron Ham (Sr), Jason Espinoza (Jr), Ryan Maxwell (Jr), Kendrick Celestine (Jr), Kyle Cefalo (Jr), Dustin Ebner (So), Mario Conte (RS-F)
2010 Class (2) - Keenan Canty, Donnie Duncan (maybe DB)

who does he play above?

Almost Certainly Not: Scotty; Andre; Simas; Clemons. That's 4!! All upperclassmen

Possibly not/Not a huge dropoff: Darden & Ussery and perhaps celestine?

So thats 7 guys that can go not counting WillJeff. Not to mention 5 of them are upperclassmen, and 2 of them have red shirted already and have all the physical tools (the frosh).

I mean, I don't even see it as a knock on the guy if the coaches RS him. It's just a point in the program where there really IS that much depth. In this one area at least, the coaches have finally (barring transfer...) got it where it needs to be.

However, he could distinguish himself and become Jerry Rice the II of course, but I just don't see how RSing is not an obvious smart choice for WillJeff next year unless he establishes himself above some of the upperclassmen as a #3 or even #2... which is very unlikely!

I like our upperclassmen strength at WR. All four of them. I have obviously not seen Clemons in action that much but I really think in 2011 that CU could have the top receiving tandem potentially in the conference.

Jefferson was already playing above Simmons this year... no?

Jefferson was already playing above Simmons this year... no?

Yep. By the end of the year, WJ was really our 3rd receiver. Next year as we move to more 3 and 4 WR sets (since our depth finally allows it), WJ will play a much larger role in our offense, imo.

What about RS'ing Simmons? he was a three for two guy right?

What about RS'ing Simmons? he was a three for two guy right?

:yeahthat:

My thinking exactly. He really seemed like he needed to RS this year. It might make the 2011 senior class a little too WR heavy, but I think it is still the best thing for Dre and the team.

WillJeff is above Simmons all year so he will compete for playing time. Depth is a good thing to have but way too early to be talking about RS'ing a guy who played this year as a true freshmen.

If the implication is that Simmons will prosper with 1 in the system, I think the same should be said for WillJeff. He did the impossible by going from not-recruited to starter in a few short weeks and rather than blast "Talkins for not playing his best guys" I'd rather give props to WillJeff for stepping up. Great job!

If Celestine can do the seemingly impossible and get his academic status in order by the fall (and he at least seems to think he's on track to do so), then that's another experienced guy you add to the mix. Can't help but support that guy.

Darden or Ussery have to be looking at TE I would think.....

Since we have no experience at Fullback and one returning TE, it sure looks like we are morphing to a 4-WR set......

None of the TE's on this team are what I would call big blocking types, that's for sure.

WillJeff is above Simmons all year so he will compete for playing time. Depth is a good thing to have but way too early to be talking about RS'ing a guy who played this year as a true freshmen.

If the implication is that Simmons will prosper with 1 in the system, I think the same should be said for WillJeff. He did the impossible by going from not-recruited to starter in a few short weeks and rather than blast "Talkins for not playing his best guys" I'd rather give props to WillJeff for stepping up. Great job!

If Celestine can do the seemingly impossible and get his academic status in order by the fall (and he at least seems to think he's on track to do so), then that's another experienced guy you add to the mix. Can't help but support that guy.

Darden or Ussery have to be looking at TE I would think.....

Darden is tall enough for TE but he's pencil thin. Ussery is a WR all the way, and I think he'll be a good one. Devon Thornton will be our hybrid TE/WR in the coming years. Can't wait to see what he can do.

edit...it appears that Darden is listed at 210. With 20+ more pounds he could be a hybrid TE/WR. Thornton is only 230.

Agreed on the 3d WR option, but I don't see how he is still our 3d WR if what ppl are saying about clemons is true. Now he is our 4th WR, and the discussion really must be centered on how big of a drop off exists between him as our #4 and either Simmons/Darden/ussery/celestine. Remember, Celestine would be in his 3d year in the program as well. Would he be better then those guys? Perhaps, but by enough to justify using up a year of eligibility for <100 snaps, maybe <50?

Also, the talk of moving Darden to TE makes having Willjeff RS make even more sense (2 WR/class then).

Of course, who knows what injuries/transfers/freshmen will do to this depth chart, but unless Willjeff is a clear #3, I think the marginal cost of playing him now is outweighed by the gain of having him for another year...

Unless we hire someone that can teach our line how to block better, it won't matter who plays WR and who red shirts.

You also need to consider class balance in this equation. Especially since it's something Hawkins has really tried to focus on establishing in the program.

The new class of freshmen may very well have a guy who plays his true freshman year (especially if we land a guy like Richardson).

The RS-Freshman class will have Ussery and Darden as the scholarship guys.

Jefferson is the only scholarship WR who will be a sophomore next year. Ebner's there as a walk-on.

The junior class will have Simas and Clemons on scholarship for sure, with the potential of Celestine and Espinoza being awarded schollies (and Zion Babb transferring in). All have used their redshirt years, too.

The senior class will have McKnight and Simmons.

It doesn't take a math major to see how redshirting Simmons and/or Jefferson screws up the numbers. And I'm not sure what the advantage of it would be anyway.

So long as he gets decent playing time I think he should just play. Also, I'm loving the depth we have now, good god. To think we were starting Espy and playing Ebner a lot earlier this year, to having this kind of depth next year is great.

Back