What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Looking into the future - UMASS

This matters how exactly?

It would definitely be much more fun if we were coming back east to play a big-time program in a big-time venue but it's rare that they we make trips to the Eastern time zone, so we'll have to take what we East-coasters can get. :huh:

Just so everyone is aware, this game is the weekend after Labor Day.

It would definitely be much more fun if we were coming back east to play a big-time program in a big-time venue but it's rare that they we make trips to the Eastern time zone, so we'll have to take what we East-coasters can get. :huh:

Just so everyone is aware, this game is the weekend after Labor Day.

Honestly I'm happy to have a game we're going to win. I'm tired of paying big $, traveling far and watching us get curb stomped. Yeah, yeah, yeah I enjoy the atmosphere and all that, but I go to see a Buff win, not get patronized out of sympathy. I will take this for a change. Let's outnumber the ****ers.

Honestly I'm happy to have a game we're going to win. I'm tired of paying big $, traveling far and watching us get curb stomped. Yeah, yeah, yeah I enjoy the atmosphere and all that, but I go to see a Buff win, not get patronized out of sympathy. I will take this for a change. Let's outnumber the ****ers.

It's interesting with the preliminary response on the board with alot of people planning on going and I attribute that to the city. And I'm sure the NYBuffs club will also have a big trip planned up there. A game in a place like Blacksburg, Clemson, or Happy Valley would be a much better atmosphere but it sounds like the Buff contingent wouldn't be as big at those venues, oddly enough.

We did FSU, OSU, and WVU... if CU is within striking distance we will do our best to go to the game, even if it is against The Sisters of the Poor Friars.

OBTW... really enjoyed the atmosphere at WVU and OSU and would love some better match-ups when we are better

It's interesting with the preliminary response on the board with alot of people planning on going and I attribute that to the city. And I'm sure the NYBuffs club will also have a big trip planned up there. A game in a place like Blacksburg, Clemson, or Happy Valley would be a much better atmosphere but it sounds like the Buff contingent wouldn't be as big at those venues, oddly enough.

Buff fans travel for the destination at large, not the actual stadium environment. More of us would travel to a game at Tulane than a game at Tennessee.

Going to be quite easy to get seats in Gillette than it would be in a place like Lane Stadium. No more than a couple thousand of us would be able to infiltrate Blacksburg, and that's if you can find your way to the end of the world and take a right.

i am sure there are more flights into boston, but providence looks closer than hartford

Buff fans travel for the destination at large, not the actual stadium environment. More of us would travel to a game at Tulane than a game at Tennessee.

Unfortunately I think you're correct about that. Personally I have more appreciation for the the smaller towns that draw large crowds such as Blacksburg or Clemson, but I realize that most people go more for the destination with the game as a secondary backdrop. Guess I'm just different in that sense. :huh:

Even a place like Knoxville or Columbia (SC) are decent-sized cities but at the same time they're not places that people would typically visit "just to visit" like a Boston or New Orleans.

Going to be quite easy to get seats in Gillette than it would be in a place like Lane Stadium. No more than a couple thousand of us would be able to infiltrate Blacksburg, and that's if you can find your way to the end of the world and take a right.

I thought you took a left at the end of the world? :lol:

I've never been into Blacksburg but I've traveled up 81 numerous times and there's quite a few hotels right there off the interstate, and Blacksburg is only about 6-7 miles from there, right? Not sure how many hotels there are in Blacksburg. And Roanoke is just under an hour away.

Had a blast traveling for the WVU game, (first time heading east for a Buffs game). Have definitely had my eye on it and hoping to get a group together for a Boston trip and the game.

Guys we have the opportunity to take over the stadium. UMass doesn't get a to of fans. If we can get 5k or more loud fans, we will own that place.

I thought you took a left at the end of the world? :lol:

I've never been into Blacksburg but I've traveled up 81 numerous times and there's quite a few hotels right there off the interstate, and Blacksburg is only about 6-7 miles from there, right? Not sure how many hotels there are in Blacksburg. And Roanoke is just under an hour away.

It's like a 20 minute drive off 81. A huge chunk of VT fans do the 5 hour drive from NOVA or the 4 hour drive from Richmond every home game. That's also a very rural section of I-81 -- kind of like Manhattan, KS being not far from I-70 but being in the middle of nowhere. Blacksburg has grown a lot in recent years but it's still tiny.

I think CU fans would show very, very well in Charlottesville. It's just a great college town, not as isolated, with a ton of things to see from Monticello, breweries, wineries, the Downtown Mall being identical to Pearl Street, the campus, Blue Ridge Parkway, Skyline Drive, Shenandoah National Park, Montpelier, and let's you do the DC thing if you're a westerner who needs to check that out. Oregon and BYU straight showed up in force these past few weeks and we would do the same. The same would go for Chapel Hill.

Guys we have the opportunity to take over the stadium. UMass doesn't get a to of fans. If we can get 5k or more loud fans, we will own that place.

It is a LONG haul from the UMass campus to Gillette Stadium. It's a 100 mile, 2 hour drive, I kid you not. Given they're struggling mightily in being a new FBS team, we are going to have more fans than they are, IMO.

It is a LONG haul from the UMass campus to Gillette Stadium. It's a 100 mile, 2 hour drive, I kid you not. Given they're struggling mightily in being a new FBS team, we are going to have more fans than they are, IMO.

Just to make it clear for everyone, it is not 100 miles from downtown Boston, CVille is pointing out how far it is from UMass campus.

As for getting to the game, there may be a train from Boston, otherwise you can drive in about 45 minutes. You can take a commuter rail to cities close to the stadium and cab from there as well. I'll try to get some info from UMass fans and post it for everyone.

Wait, they play their home games that far from campus? That's ridiculous. That gives a whole new meaning to having an off-campus stadium. :huh:

I just looked it up real quick and see that they plan on returning to their campus stadium in 2014 after renovations and expansion are complete.

Wait, they play their home games that far from campus? That's ridiculous. That gives a whole new meaning to having an off-campus stadium. :huh:

I just looked it up real quick and see that they plan on returning to their campus stadium in 2014 after renovations and expansion are complete.

I guess we don't know where the game will be:

The cost of this construction is estimated at $20,000,000 and is expected to be completed in time for the 2014 season. The deal with Gillette Stadium calls for UMass to play at least 4 games per year at the stadium from 2014 through 2016 which would leave open the possibility for one or two games per season during those years to be played on campus at McGuirk Stadium

I guess we don't know where the game will be:
I think our contract says it will be played at Gillette, but could be wrong. Really looking forward to this one; great city, close, and a very likely Buff win.

I can't imagine we would have agreed to McGurk stadium, but when it came to scheduling Monkey Bohn was awful.

Just to make it clear for everyone, it is not 100 miles from downtown Boston, CVille is pointing out how far it is from UMass campus.

As for getting to the game, there may be a train from Boston, otherwise you can drive in about 45 minutes. You can take a commuter rail to cities close to the stadium and cab from there as well. I'll try to get some info from UMass fans and post it for everyone.

Yes thanks tante, don't want to deter anyone, I was referring to the main UMass campus in Amherst, not fans checking out Boston. I am pretty certain they'll play this at Gillette, one of their chances for the biggest attendance of their season I'd imagine.

Gillette Stadium is about halfway between Providence and Boston (30-35 minutes from each city) and is basically in the middle of nowheres - nothing but suburban sprawl in the immediate vicinity, although there is a Renaissance hotel adjacent to the stadium - as far as I'm aware there's no public transport that runs there from Boston, so more than likely you'll need to rent a car to get down there...

Real football news -- UMass leaving the MAC. New conference unnamed or TBD.

link

Real football news -- UMass leaving the MAC. New conference unnamed or TBD.

link
Good grief. When you get essentially kicked out by the MAC for not being "all in," your program is in shambles. We had better take all three from this pitiful squad.

Back