What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Los Angeles Is Colorado's RED LETTER Games

I think some of you are missing the point. this is not about naming a rival; it's about designating a target of where the Buffs should be. Beat USC and UCLA often enough, it means you've reached a level where you are winning 7+ conference games a year, beating the teams that have the built in advantage (being in and recruiting LA), and laying a foundation for the continued success of CU. Beat these teams on a consistent basis, and you are in a position to compete for national championships.
I completely agree with you. However, can't we do this ^^^^ without the contrived "red letter" treatment??? I'm so tired of the "what would Mac do?" method of running things. Just because it worked in 1984, doesn't mean it will work now. Virtually every circumstance has changed since then. Hell yes, I want to compete with U$C and Ucla, and I'm sure the coaches and team do as well, but I don't need color coded instructions to know that. My point is simply that we need to stop trying to resurrect all of Mac's tricks. I'd like to think that at some point (hopefully in my lifetime) we will be able to compete toe-to-toe with anyone on the schedule - all of whom are listed in the same color.

Win some games, go to a bowl game for a season or two, then you can start calling out other schools. Until then, we can talk all we want but these other schools aren't listening as they just view us as just another W on their schedule.

The road to prominence is through LA. I like the message. If we can't beat UCLA or USC, we are in a quagmire . Second or third in the South. Red letter games. It may take some time.

Geezus people! remember when haLk made nebraska the same color as all the other teams and everyone flipped their ****? A bunch of looser talk here. Do the words "FIGHT ... FIGHT ... FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT" mean anything to you? You want to be the best, target the best.
Only speak when spoken too, newbie!!! :lol:

USC - I get it. what has ucla done for the past decade??? They were one of flunkies in Pac 10 until we showed up.

I think some of you are missing the point. this is not about naming a rival; it's about designating a target of where the Buffs should be. Beat USC and UCLA often enough, it means you've reached a level where you are winning 7+ conference games a year, beating the teams that have the built in advantage (being in and recruiting LA), and laying a foundation for the continued success of CU. Beat these teams on a consistent basis, and you are in a position to compete for national championships.

You aren't wrong - but at some point it starts to sound delusional when you've had the recent history that this team has had. Let's start beating the teams we should beat first and then we can worry about being giant killers.

Mac, you should have never retired. Please go gracefully into your good night and stop meddling...

This. I want to love Coach Mac for the Mac I remember in the 90s, not the senile guy on the radio, or the guy bringing race into the discussion on the coaching search.

Geezus people! remember when haLk made nebraska the same color as all the other teams and everyone flipped their ****? A bunch of looser talk here. Do the words "FIGHT ... FIGHT ... FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT" mean anything to you? You want to be the best, target the best.

Y'all tighten it up, ya hear?!?

Harbaugh made a similar statement about USC when he took over at Stanford and everyone laughed. Now Stanford owns USC. I would rather this came from a fiery head coach than Mac.

They were already rivals, though. Harbaugh just emphasized it above the cross-town rivalry with Cal.

This isn't even similar to the Nebraska rivalry declaration that Mac made. We'd been playing Nebraska every year for decades.

We just showed up in the Pac-12, got smoked by USC last year, and now we're announcing that they're our rival? I'm sure USC folks are reacting with a disinterested, "Get in line behind Notre Dame, UCLA, Stanford, Cal and every other Pac-12 program that has decided it wants real bad to knock us off the top of the hill."

They were already rivals, though. Harbaugh just emphasized it above the cross-town rivalry with Cal.

This isn't even similar to the Nebraska rivalry declaration that Mac made. We'd been playing Nebraska every year for decades.

We just showed up in the Pac-12, got smoked by USC last year, and now we're announcing that they're our rival? I'm sure USC folks are reacting with a disinterested, "Get in line behind Notre Dame, UCLA, Stanford, Cal and every other Pac-12 program that has decided it wants real bad to knock us off the top of the hill."

Yep. Only 10 other programs in the conference have the same theory that some CU fans for some reason consider a novel idea of our own. It's literally no exaggeration to say that if you asked those involved with the USC program to rank every school in the Pac-12 from 1-12 in terms of biggest rival to irrelevant non-rival, CU would come in 12th. There simply is never going to be a CU/USC rivalry. That's not to say we can't reach a level where we start to beat them and win the South, but it's not going to be a rivalry. USC is WAY over-saturated in the rivalry department as it is. A 3-10 team from 3 states away is not about to become rivals with USC.

Last edited:
I think there was some confusion and the team thought they were supposed to read The Scarlet Letter instead of their playbooks this week. It's the little things. We'll get that fixed in a few weeks for USC. :wink2:

The way you guys talk, Im glad I didnt see it. I dont see why we shouldnt be very aggressive, die hard if we are gonna die. I thought this staff was about tough football, sounds like bitchball to me.

The way you guys talk, Im glad I didnt see it. I dont see why we shouldnt be very aggressive, die hard if we are gonna die. I thought this staff was about tough football, sounds like bitchball to me.

We've totally given up on the identity this staff was supposed to implement. As to what our "new" identity is aside from being a disorganized, bad, lost football team...I wouldn't know. Biggest sign that this staff has failed and needs to go.

The LA and So-Cal region should be CU's prime recruiting grounds. Even Hawk was able to sign the #1 running back, and that 'ordeal' ended up saying a lot about Hawkins AND the administration's too-long support of him.

But Embree & Co should be battling for every top recruit. They can't, though. They'll be lucky to battle for Top 100s. I'll watch to see if we can snag 5 of those.

Back