What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Loss vs. Wazzu = Colorado on the verge of figuring things out

Justin M Guerriero

Club Member
Club Member
It goes without saying how heartbreaking it was watching the Buffaloes lose in overtime at Wazzu on Saturday. The team managed an impressive comeback after being down by double digits. The Buffs made 86 percent of their foul shots. Wesley Gordon awoke and dropped 15. In total, four Buffs scored in double digits, including a refreshing 15-point performance by George King. But alas, as we all know, the game stands as a L for the Buffs.

The Buffs lost their last three games by a combined total of seven points. I'm inclined to think that this isn't indicative of this team constantly blowing things...I'm more of the idea that perhaps this team is getting quite close to figuring out how to start winning conference games.

The lack of production from King and Gordon (as well as Josh Fortune) has been an issue all year long and one can only hope that this recent week of close losses will be looked back on at the end of the season as Colorado's stepping stone to better performances, or perhaps as the time when the snake shed its old skin and began anew.

A question for you all:

In the next 14 days, CU will take on OSU, Oregon, Stanford and Cal. What will their record be during that span? (OSU is 4-16, No. 11 Oregon is 18-2, Stanford is 11-9 and Cal is 14-6.)

It goes without saying how heartbreaking it was watching the Buffaloes lose in overtime at Wazzu on Saturday. The team managed an impressive comeback after being down by double digits. The Buffs made 86 percent of their foul shots. Wesley Gordon awoke and dropped 15. In total, four Buffs scored in double digits, including a refreshing 15-point performance by George King. But alas, as we all know, the game stands as a L for the Buffs.

The Buffs lost their last three games by a combined total of seven points. I'm inclined to think that this isn't indicative of this team constantly blowing things...I'm more of the idea that perhaps this team is getting quite close to figuring out how to start winning conference games.

The lack of production from King and Gordon (as well as Josh Fortune) has been an issue all year long and one can only hope that this recent week of close losses will be looked back on at the end of the season as Colorado's stepping stone to better performances, or perhaps as the time when the snake shed its old skin and began anew.

A question for you all:

In the next 14 days, CU will take on OSU, Oregon, Stanford and Cal. What will their record be during that span? (OSU is 4-16, No. 11 Oregon is 18-2, Stanford is 11-9 and Cal is 14-6.)
Most likely is 1-3 since Cal & Stanford are road games and Oregon is very good. Possible 2-2 if we can knock off Stanford. And of course there's always the remote but possible chance we've turned the corner and will sweep all 4.

Last edited:
Gotta agree - 1-3/2-2 is what we're looking at.

King was GOOD against Wazzu. That was nice to see. I've accepted that he's always going to be a negative defender (as much as it kills me), but if he plays on offense like he did Saturday, you deal with it and you come out ahead. XJ's been great the last few games, and White has been White. There are glimmers of hope.

I know everyone keeps (rightfully) harping on Fortune getting minutes, but they're slowly coming down if you look at a game by game progression. And honestly, I think I'd rather have him out there than Yaz. Do I think Brown should be getting more minutes? Hell yes. But I also don't get to see what's going on in practice. I'm gonna defer to the coaching staff on this one. I was incredibly encouraged that Peters got the bulk of the crunch time minutes on Saturday.

Listen, this season is ****. No one's gonna argue that at this point. Not even the biggest homer like myself. But I'm seeing small glimmers of hope for next year. The PG position still terrifies me, but if we can get that set up then we'll be fine. King will be the "alpha dog" which should fit him better - last year he was a stud when he was THE option on the perimeter. This year, White is (rightfully) the big dog out there and King doesn't look like he knows where to fit in. Combine that with XJ playing roughly the same role as him, and he looks lost on offense at times. Wright should be a good second option out there. I'm slightly worried about the big man position, but big men are overrated in college hoops unless you get an elite guy. Solve the PG and that's a team that could be like last year's team (not worldbeaters, but should sneak into tourney). If the freshmen are better than expected, there's some upside potential.

Gotta agree - 1-3/2-2 is what we're looking at.

King was GOOD against Wazzu. That was nice to see. I've accepted that he's always going to be a negative defender (as much as it kills me), but if he plays on offense like he did Saturday, you deal with it and you come out ahead. XJ's been great the last few games, and White has been White. There are glimmers of hope.

I know everyone keeps (rightfully) harping on Fortune getting minutes, but they're slowly coming down if you look at a game by game progression. And honestly, I think I'd rather have him out there than Yaz. Do I think Brown should be getting more minutes? Hell yes. But I also don't get to see what's going on in practice. I'm gonna defer to the coaching staff on this one. I was incredibly encouraged that Peters got the bulk of the crunch time minutes on Saturday.

Listen, this season is ****. No one's gonna argue that at this point. Not even the biggest homer like myself. But I'm seeing small glimmers of hope for next year. The PG position still terrifies me, but if we can get that set up then we'll be fine. King will be the "alpha dog" which should fit him better - last year he was a stud when he was THE option on the perimeter. This year, White is (rightfully) the big dog out there and King doesn't look like he knows where to fit in. Combine that with XJ playing roughly the same role as him, and he looks lost on offense at times. Wright should be a good second option out there. I'm slightly worried about the big man position, but big men are overrated in college hoops unless you get an elite guy. Solve the PG and that's a team that could be like last year's team (not worldbeaters, but should sneak into tourney). If the freshmen are better than expected, there's some upside potential.

Namon Wright may help at guard. Depends on how quickly he can unlearn the garbage he was taught at Mizzou. Maybe he can be the aggressor and allow Dom to be the facilitator. Deleon and Bryce could also help if they keep growing and learning quickly. I think Yaz needs to stay stateside this offseason as well.

Namon Wright may help at guard. Depends on how quickly he can unlearn the garbage he was taught at Mizzou. Maybe he can be the aggressor and allow Dom to be the facilitator. Deleon and Bryce could also help if they keep growing and learning quickly. I think Yaz needs to stay stateside this offseason as well.

I'm not sure I view any one of those to be the ballhandler the team needs though. I know the "true PG" thing is dead in college ball, but we still need someone we trust with the ball to run the offense.

I'm not sure I view any one of those to be the ballhandler the team needs though. I know the "true PG" thing is dead in college ball, but we still need someone we trust with the ball to run the offense.
True. I think our best ball handler is going to be Dom next season. Not many other options.

Yep. We need a conductor who takes charge (Nate type attitude). I don't care if he's the type of guy who scores 25 a game or 5, but we need that sort of leadership from the primary ball handler.

Yep. We need a conductor who takes charge (Nate type attitude). I don't care if he's the type of guy who scores 25 a game or 5, but we need that sort of leadership from the primary ball handler.

Hopeful for a grad transfer, but not real optimistic. Good PG grad transfers get scooped up QUICKLY.

Rock Bottom for me. Nice to see Peters getting minutes. But he had chances to win or tie the game and blew um all. Hope that pays dividends down the road at least, cause this season is officially over outside of the P12 tourney chance. Sorry White.

Lonzo Ball?

Oh man, that kid is fun.

After the UCLA game, I was convinced that there was no way he doesn't go number one next year. Then the Washington game happened, and I thought the same thing about Fultz. Those two are bona fide studs though. Don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Figuring things out doesn't mean squat when you're 0-7 beyond pride. This is unacceptable. There's no way around it.

Back