What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lots of negativity regarding Embree

I just don't agree with this...Yes we should of beat CSU and Sac St...but this team is lacking talent in so many areas that I doubt that many coaches would get to 6 wins with this team. The 2010 team you are comparing it to had two number one draft picks that were seniors plus Scotty McKnight, Tony Clemons and Paul Richardson as WRs - I could go on but the talent on that roster was much better than we have now and they did not do very well - the blow out loss to Cal comes to mind. I think some of the Freshmen will be very good in two years but they are not there yet.

OK. Let's take CSU and Sac State and make them wins. Let's also assume that with a coach who had things going the right direction that a win at Fresno State is achievable (decent team, but they did lose at Tulsa and are 4-3 on the year). CU should be sitting at 3-3 right now on the conservative side with a good opportunity to have been at 4-2. With momentum, I wonder what happens against ASU on a Thursday night if we're heading into that game with a winning record. We've seen before what Folsom is like in that circumstance (WVU, UGA). 6 wins was there for the taking this year. Even a mediocre coach would be looking at 4-8 or 5-7 this season -- and without all the blowouts.

Last year's 3-10 was also an underperformance. Cal and WSU were wins that we gave away. Hawaii was not a better team than us. 6 wins would not have been a stretch. A 7th win to get to a bowl game was attainable with 1 upset. Certainly, that string of blowout losses through the middle part of the season could have been avoided. Maybe we lose by 10 or 13 at Washington and UCLA instead of by 28 and 39.

I'm not saying that we're at a level to compete for conference championships. But we are at a level to be more competitive that we've been and get a few more wins each year to but us on the cusp of a bowl game.

So we know there's no way Brown, Embree, or EB is getting sacked, so who does go. I think Carbral and Marshall. Maybe Kennedy.

They may do the old fire a coordinator to make it look better act as a way to justify keeping Embree around for next year. No matter what they do Marshall should be gone, Brookhart as well.

If it is ordered from above that for Embree to keep his job he has to fire a coordinator I don't see any way he keeps brown over his close friend EB even though in my mind EB has done a far worse job. Cabral also may be less likely to be fired because he is one of the "Old long time Buffs" from the "Glory days."

All in all I wouldn't bet anything on Brown being here next year, not because of the job he has done but rather due to coaching politics.

They may do the old fire a coordinator to make it look better act as a way to justify keeping Embree around for next year. No matter what they do Marshall should be gone, Brookhart as well.

If it is ordered from above that for Embree to keep his job he has to fire a coordinator I don't see any way he keeps brown over his close friend EB even though in my mind EB has done a far worse job. Cabral also may be less likely to be fired because he is one of the "Old long time Buffs" from the "Glory days."

All in all I wouldn't bet anything on Brown being here next year, not because of the job he has done but rather due to coaching politics.

Why Brookhart? our special teams are one of the few things that has improved since HaLk.

Why Brookhart?

I thought people were impressed with Kasa's development and the bits we've seen from guys like Slavin and Thornton.

Also, I thought we were pretty happy with Oliver and O'Neill.

If we have youth and depth issues, the place it's going to show up most glaringly is with returns and coverage teams.

I do think Brookhart is our weakest recruiter, so there is that.

But what I'd love to see -- if Embree gets a 3rd year -- is for Brookhart and Bieniemy to swap jobs. EB has the perfect personality for SC Coordinator. Brookhart was a great OC at Pitt (earned him an opportunity to be a HC at Akron before coming here). He's probably the only guy on the staff who is actually qualified to be a coordinator. What are we supposed to do, fire all the non-Buffs and make this a completely CU alum staff? The coaches with CU connections are where the problems lie, whereas Tui, Kennedy and Brookhart (if OC) would form the nucleus of a very good assistant coaching staff.

Edit: Abs beat me to it.

I haven't been impressed with Brookharts recruiting, keep Parsons and I may soften my stance there. Also kasa has been impressive but he is a high 4* athlete, Thornton has not impressed my with his development.

I also have not been impressed with the job he has done on specials. Our return game is terrible. Coverage is better than it was under the Riddler (how could it not be.) but we have a bunch of kickers and can't figure out how to consistently keep the opponent from starting outside the 30. Our FG kicking has also been way below where it should be. Not hard to argue that decisions on STs cost us the Sac State game and hurt us badly against CSU. It has been better as the season has progressed but I'm still not sold.

If assignments were to be shuffled and he got a look at being the primary playcaller and designer of the offensive gameplan I could go for that but under current official assignments I am not sold.

I want to see an OL coach who can actually inspire some effective aggression. We have got to be able to move the LOS and run the ball if we are going to win, no other option. That would make life much easier for whoever the playcaller is next year.

I also want to see a guy who can be a prime mover in offensive decision making who has had success at the college level and knows how much college players can do well without overload. Brookhart may actually be that guy but I would prefer somebody from outside the Embree/EB/NFL circle.

Last edited:
This situation is a tough one for me. We rolled the dice on a group of guys who were short on experience and savvy, but who had passion for the program in bunches. Can't say I was campaigning for JE during the coaching search, but I've always had the sense that, if nothing else, he really is personally invested in seeing the program improve; I can respect this.

That said, we've obviously come up snake eyes so far. Now we have to either cut our losses and roll the dice again that another coaching upheaval is the fix, or try to ride out the storm in hopes that things will turn around in time. Neither option is terribly appealing at this point... Obviously not an answer to the dilemma, just my two cents.

The ONE thing that I am having a really tough time getting over, well, two things, are the losses to csu and sac st. Those games should not have been even close. Those two games, at this time, are kind of tipping the scale for me. But I'll wait for the season to play out, still.

I would promote coach Rip to OC over Brook. Im not sure if he'd take it if asked.

No inside info (obviously), jmho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's hard for me to imagine how anyone could believe we are not grossly underachieving. I guess changing coordinators could help (it certainly couldn't hurt), but we have two seasons of getting obliterated by teams with less or equal talent. Kids seemingly quiting on games. From the outside looking in, it's hard to argue there is not a leadership problem as well.

If Embree is forced to change coordinators, it will likely be difficult to bring in any quality coordinators, because they will all know it is a 1-year job with no guarantees.

The other issue is how confident can we really be in Embree to pick the right guys.

The ONE thing that I am having a really tough time getting over, well, two things, are the losses to csu and sac st. Those games should not have been even close. Those two games, at this time, are kind of tipping the scale for me. But I'll wait for the season to play out, still.

Totally agree. I would also throw in the historic loss to Fresno. That should have been a nailbiter type game, even if Colorado lost. Colorado so far is 1 point away from 0 wins. As I said in the other thread, Colorado should never be a 40 point dog to anyone at any time.

Back