What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mac guaranteeing a win tomorrow...

Who cares just win some games, at this point I don't care about anything else. So tired of the we were this close or closer press conferences. Football should not be this hard. 14 game losing streak in conference? 1-20 in PAC games under HCMM? Why do I waste my time on this team? And to top off a ****ty evening they had 36 and I25 closed down to one lane after the game so it too almost an extra hour to get home. F$&@ this ****.

I'm interested in knowing what we get. MM guaranteed a win, we didn't win. So do we get our money back?

Nope, but enjoy this.....

turdwich-776433.jpg

I think RG is going to fire him now since he guaranteed a win and didn't deliver.

The only issue here is you lose a ton of credibility once you make these type of predictions and can't come through on the guarantee.

I didn't really think much of it either way. Thing is, do your talking on the field. I mean by performance and talking a little ****, nothing wrong with a little swag. Problem is, you gotta back it up or you are a punk.

He said it. They lost.

I don't think it changed many minds. i.e., folks aren't really any more or less patient with things today than they otherwise would have been if he'd engaged in nothing but coach speak last week.

I liked it because I thought the statement might instill some extra belief & confidence in the team.

But the only thing at this point that's going to instill extra belief & confidence (or change minds of boosters, fans, recruits and media)... is wins.

Got to win. It's all that matters at this point.

I liked it because I thought the statement might instill some extra belief & confidence in the team.

I'll admit, the main reason I didn't like it was because it reeked of "10 wins, no excuses" talk that we've heard before. I'd really rather us walk the walk before we talked the talk.

I'll admit, the main reason I didn't like it was because it reeked of "10 wins, no excuses" talk that we've heard before. I'd really rather us walk the walk before we talked the talk.

One quick note on that is that we have had our thinking corrupted by Hawkins. He said a lot of things that are commonly said by other coaches. Philosophically, he was pretty sound in terms of what winning coaches say and believe. I've heard guys like Saban and Meyer spout what we think of as Hawkisms. So the problem wasn't with what Hawkins said, it was that he did it with the credibility and genuineness of an infomercial pitchman. And because he wasn't genuine, he poisoned the well. No matter who CU hires to coach this team for the rest of our lives, we'll hear the guy say and do things that remind us of Hawkins... because the guy would quote everyone from Lombardi to Gandhi with the passion of the moment as if it was his own life philosophy. All those people he quoted were successful and had valuable insights. Problem was never the message. The problem was with the messenger. It was so horrendously, disastrously bad the last few years of the Hawkins regime that I don't know if we'll all ever completely get past this, though, and 100% cure that corruption in our thinking that he caused.

I'm interested in knowing what we get. MM guaranteed a win, we didn't win. So do we get our money back?
My ticket was $60 and was the cheapest available three hours prior to kickoff. Pretty crazy for a team that bad.

One quick note on that is that we have had our thinking corrupted by Hawkins. He said a lot of things that are commonly said by other coaches. Philosophically, he was pretty sound in terms of what winning coaches say and believe. I've heard guys like Saban and Meyer spout what we think of as Hawkisms. So the problem wasn't with what Hawkins said, it was that he did it with the credibility and genuineness of an infomercial pitchman. And because he wasn't genuine, he poisoned the well. No matter who CU hires to coach this team for the rest of our lives, we'll hear the guy say and do things that remind us of Hawkins... because the guy would quote everyone from Lombardi to Gandhi with the passion of the moment as if it was his own life philosophy. All those people he quoted were successful and had valuable insights. Problem was never the message. The problem was with the messenger. It was so horrendously, disastrously bad the last few years of the Hawkins regime that I don't know if we'll all ever completely get past this, though, and 100% cure that corruption in our thinking that he caused.

True. But is it too much to ask for him to wait until we've had a little success before we start spouting off? I think that's my biggest concern with this.

True. But is it too much to ask for him to wait until we've had a little success before we start spouting off? I think that's my biggest concern with this.

@Goose -- two valid opinions here and it's one of those things where no one is going to be wrong. Maybe we need a coach who goes bold and brash in order to pull us out of this. Maybe we need a coach who keeps his mouth shut and publicly says that actions will do the talking for what this team is and where the program is at. Truth is, I say both opinions are valid because I believe either could work. Important thing is that the coach is genuine and the approach he employs is true to his personality, in line with how his assistants and players perceive him to be, and also that it strikes the right chord in that it's the right thing to say based on having a good feel for the temperature of the team that week.

tl;dr : everyone's entitled to his opinion here, I see it both ways, and all I give a sh!t about is whether we start winning

.. Important thing is that the coach is genuine and the approach he employs is true to his personality, in line with how his assistants and players perceive him to be, and also that it strikes the right chord in that it's the right thing to say based on having a good feel for the temperature of the team that week....
I think the problem most have is that "guaranteeing a win" is not genuine, by any stretch. especially when backed up with a loss. it smacks of "he'll say anything to get what he wants, even if it's not true".
... I give a sh!t about is whether we start winning
nice re-focus

There are two impacts - team chemistry and public perception.

My problem with it is coaches should never guarantee a win...they are not on the field...if I am a player on the team I would be a little peeved. Now he has established what he says is just talk, so players may start tuning him out. That is a big part of what happened with Hawkins.

The public and the media has been pretty tame with MacIntyre, that has started to change (after the ASU game several members of the press mentioned privately they felt he was blaming his players in his post game comments). His win guarantee impacts his credibility with the media. We saw the Kisla article last week about how MacIntyre is a nice guy - when those come out it is the beginning of the end. It is a setup for the punch to the gut. You may think it is no big deal, but every local outlet reported it on the 10 PM news on Friday so they thought it was important to mention it. The media can help shape public opinion and if they start discounting MacIntyre then it could get ugly.

Disagree. As somebody pointed out, I believe in this thread, the players had a players only meeting this week to make themselves accountable. This game should have been about them. MM guaranteeing the win took away from their personal accountability and put himself in the picture when it wasn't necessary.

Disagree. As somebody pointed out, I believe in this thread, the players had a players only meeting this week to make themselves accountable. This game should have been about them. MM guaranteeing the win took away from their personal accountability and put himself in the picture when it wasn't necessary.

Valid opinion. I don't know how it played within the team. All I know is that MM making that comment only was a good idea in hindsight if the team would have won the game. They lost, so he's got egg on his face and is open for criticism of what he said.

The problem with the guarantee Is the way he went about staking it. If you make a guarantee like that you had better pull out all stops to insure that it happens. I saw a coach that had his team playing not to lose instead of chasing victory. My view of Mike now is a guy that doesn't have a winners attitude that we need. I've never seen a successful person that is afraid to take chances.

The conservative playcalling at the end of the game may have turned that belief and confidence into contempt towards the coaching.

I don't have any issues with it if he were winning this year. He's not, so the desperate coach and Hawkins comparisons will ensue.

Yeah I believe any time a woman at a pep rally yells what is going to happen at the game, a strong coach should just ignore her and say next question. I would have total faith in him then. Great points and analysis.

Yeah I believe any time a woman at a pep rally yells what is going to happen at the game, a strong coach should just ignore her and say next question. I would have total faith in him then. Great points and analysis.
All he has to say is "be there tomorrow because you won't want to miss this" type answer.

It's dumb to guarantee a win, extra dumb when you've got the string of conferences losses we have and are a 7.5 point dog at home. But MM won't be fired for that comment, he'll be fired for his results, as it should be.

Back